Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Remote radar detectors and laser diffusers and PCNA warranty.

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2002, 06:23 PM
AndrewP
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Post Remote radar detectors and laser diffusers and PCNA warranty.

My dealer told me today that Porsche does not honor the warrranty if any of the electrical system is altered, such as by the installation of radar detectors and/or laser diffusers. He suggested that I check the warranty manual, which I have not yet done. Anyone experience warranty difficulties as a result of after-market electrical devices? Seems extreme to me.
Old 04-14-2002, 06:01 PM
Graham
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think it all depends upon what exactly is the cause of the warranty claim. What you state is unrealistic and not my experience at all.
Old 04-14-2002, 06:58 PM
AndrewP
Pro

I am encouraged that what my dealer told me is unrealistic and not consistent with experience. My dealer's statement did seem extreme to me. Radar detectors and laser diffusers need only to tap into the switched power. It is hard to imagine that such accessories would interfere with the car's electrical/electronic components. Perhaps I should have warranty work done at another dealer, as there are several to choose from in my area.
Old 04-15-2002, 04:01 PM
AndrewP
Pro

After a careful review of the warranty booklet I did not find anything directly related to restrictions on electrical accessories. The is, of course, a lot of exculpatory language in the booklet, so it depends on how PCNA interprets problems. This morning I spoke with the service manager at my dealer and he said that tapping into power via switched or unswitched wires can present problems/malfunctions with factory components and that one should always get accessory power directly from available circuits in the fusebox. Be certain to use the right sized fuse. He said that radar detectors may require 12 to 15 amp fuses.

Quick Reply: Remote radar detectors and laser diffusers and PCNA warranty.