Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

"GT3 style" seats - too good to be true at $1700?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2006, 04:00 PM
NNH
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jsaindc
My concern with a GT3 seat or racing seat would be safety. It is my understanding, and please correct me if I am wrong, but if you use one of these seats you must also have a roll bar installed. This is because the seat back will not break away in a roll over and your head will become the roll bar. Is it not just par of a system and if you only have one part you are actually puting yourself at risk rather than adding safety?

My understanding is that, yes, safety is an overall system, and that the safest system involves a helmet, race seat, 6-points, cage, window nets/arm restraints, and HANS device.

However. real-life compromises also set in, especially since I won't be wearing a helmet on the street, and I won't want a rollbar on the street as it potentially increases injury risks if I hit it without a helmet, and since insurers are starting to become "difficult" about cars with tubing installed. I'll probably run some kind of a bar for track events though, although even then there seems to be evidence that in the more common non-rollover situations, a harness is still good to have even without a rollbar.

I've had interesting PMs/mails with John from redline about how bolt-in bars seriously compromise room in the confines of the 996 chassis, so I'll have to do some serious thinking about how my 6'4" frame will fit. I'm also grateful to bowmanm98 for his input on seat safety for taller guys like me.

My conclusions, but I'd welcome critique and advice: I'll definitely go with GT3 seats with 6-point harnesses as they seem like a bolt-in solution that meets the "99%" criterion. I may choose to go with a BK harness mount instead of a rollbar, in the full understanding of the trade-offs that I'm making versus a bar bolted to the seatbelt mounts. I'm unlikely to exceed 5-6 DEs + 2 Silver States per year, and right now I can't deal owning more than one car, so please feel free to flame me for my idiocy, but I just can't have an exclusive track car at the moment.
Old 05-31-2006, 09:47 PM
Big6Dad
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by NNH
I'll definitely go with GT3 seats with 6-point harnesses as they seem like a bolt-in solution that meets the "99%" criterion. I may choose to go with a BK harness mount instead of a rollbar, in the full understanding of the trade-offs that I'm making versus a bar bolted to the seatbelt mounts. I can't deal owning more than one car, so please feel free to flame me for my idiocy, but I just can't have an exclusive track car at the moment.
NNH, this is the exact set up I have, GT3 seats, 6 point with BK harness mount. I use the car off the track as well. I am very happy with it. Your 99% criteria is right on the money for my situation. Even with "just" the BK mount, it is hard to use the space in the back with the GT3 seats. It will be interesting to pack for Mid-Ohio next week. I just purchased the HANS device and will be using it for the first time.
Old 05-31-2006, 10:02 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by jsaindc
My concern with a GT3 seat or racing seat would be safety. It is my understanding, and please correct me if I am wrong, but if you use one of these seats you must also have a roll bar installed. This is because the seat back will not break away in a roll over and your head will become the roll bar.
With a stock seat/3 point harness system, you can move left to right to avoid making your head the highest point in the cabin in the event of a 'roof reduction rollover'.....yes, they will come down on your head.

With GT3/race shells and a proper 6 point harness, your upper torso is fixed, so it is nearly impossible for your head to NOT be the highest point in a rollover.
Old 05-31-2006, 10:41 PM
Moogle
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

GT3 seats with 3 pointers are fine.

But if using 6 pointers, you must have a rollbar/cage.
Old 06-01-2006, 02:11 AM
NNH
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ltc
With a stock seat/3 point harness system, you can move left to right to avoid making your head the highest point in the cabin in the event of a 'roof reduction rollover'.....yes, they will come down on your head.

With GT3/race shells and a proper 6 point harness, your upper torso is fixed, so it is nearly impossible for your head to NOT be the highest point in a rollover.

This is the bit I have trouble with, on two counts:
- most accidents are not rollovers, and in those non-rollover accidents a 6-point is definitely better news than a 3-point
- I find it hard to believe that in a violent roll with many G's applied, somebody in a 3-point seatbelt is going to be able to move away from a collapsing roof.

I'm open to critique, but currently I feel that a 6-point is generally safer than a 3-point, even without a rollbar.
Old 06-01-2006, 02:23 AM
SilverBlue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Different car, a 240Z, but a friend survived a rollover and a drop down a hillside when he ducked. The roof rested on the top of the seat. Regular 3-point belts.
John

Quick Reply: "GT3 style" seats - too good to be true at $1700?