Sponsored by:

Non-Factory brake pads

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2002, 03:05 PM
John Murray
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Non-Factory brake pads

I have Porsche pads now. They dont squeak. I experienced major brake fade at my last DE event. WHat pads are you using for your street/DE/Autocross car. This is my daily driver that gets used for 5 Autocrosses per year and 7 to 10 DE events a year. What pads have you had success with? My biggest concern is the squeaking then lack of brake fade...

Thanks in advance!
Old 07-19-2002, 03:47 PM
Loren
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Have a look at Mike in CA's post about using the Pagid Street/Track pads. If he is still not having sqealing then this likely the way I will go.
<a href="http://forums.rennlist.com/forums/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic&f=5&t=001498" target="_blank">Mike in CA's post about his Pagid install</a>
Old 07-19-2002, 03:50 PM
ZBlue996Kam
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I use Hawk Blue for DE and factory pads on the street.

It easy enough to change pads that I switch pads before and after DE.

You might want to try the Hawk HP Plus which is between Hawk Blue and Hawk HPS.

I tried the HPS which wear too quick and not stop so well in DE for me.

Hawk Blue is fantastic on the track.
Old 07-19-2002, 07:25 PM
Dennis
Advanced

Hey John, I am running those Hawk HP Plus pads, I get them from the Tire Rack, $98 pair. As you know, I get the car movin pretty good and used them for the Club Races. They do not squeel at all. I may be "cheap" but until Performance Friction comes out with a pad for the 996 I'll take these at half the price of Pagids for all around use.

Dennis
Old 07-19-2002, 11:31 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts
John,

I stand by my earlier post about the Pagid "S" pads (no squealing except under very light pressure during the last few feet of a stop when the brakes are not up to temp and even then not every time). Street performance has been excellent, but the acid test will be next weekend when I have my first autocross since the change. Fade and smell from overcooked street pads are what led me to the Pagids. I'll post my impressions after the event if you're interested.
Old 09-26-2002, 09:27 PM
John Murray
Racer

Mike in CA,

How are those pads working? I am most concerned about squeal.

What is everyone else using for non-factory pads?? How is the squeal?

Thanks again all!
Old 09-27-2002, 04:40 PM
Jim Michaels
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
John: The brake fade is probably due mostly to the brake fluid overheating (boiling). To prevent that, use a brake fluid with higher dry and wet boiling points, such as ATE Blue or 200 (amber). There are even higher boiling point brake fluids, but they are very expensive, and ATE is sufficient for most. You might also consider adding a brake cooling kit. The track pads just offer more torque (quicker slowing) and won't keep your brakes any cooler.
Old 09-27-2002, 05:09 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 203 Posts
Have same pads like Mike of CA and bled with Super ATE. Results are great on the track but after 2 days of track last weekend they do squeak more then when first placed but doesn't bother me as long it's good on the track. Hope that helps ya. Mike
Old 09-27-2002, 07:51 PM
Arthur
Pro

Performance Friction does make them for the 996. I had them installed last week. Seating them in was definitely an experience. The pads have tremendous grip over factory pads. Yes they do squeal but I really don't care. I'll share my experiences on the track next week. They are called PF97
Old 09-30-2002, 01:09 PM
Dennis
Advanced

Wow, its great to know that PF is making pads for the 996, I was haunting them all winter. Just an FYI, I am not sure what compounds they are offering the pads in but I put those 97 ones on my 968(it was 400lbs lighter)with Big Reds and they really killed the cross drilled rotors(kryo treated as well). There are quite a few pad out there that will do serious damage to cross drilled rotors. Hope you have good luck!

Dennis

Quick Reply: Non-Factory brake pads