Sponsored by:

996 Pricing

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2006, 06:47 PM
kmayer
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 996 Pricing

I hope this is the right forum for this posting. If not, just let me know.

One of my best friends and I (his money, my expertise) purchased a 2003 911 Cab late in 2003. For a variety of reasons, he has now decided to sell it. I have an 85 Cab in concourse shape, and really was not in the market for a new Cab, although I had begun thinking about a 996 or 997 coupe. He said he will make me a real good deal on it.

This is the car:

6500 Miles
Slate Grey Metallic
Full Leather
Removable hard top
Self-dim mirrors and rain sensor
Power seats
Xenon headlamps
Aluminum instrument dials
Heated front Seats
Special 18" light alloy wheels
Porsche stability management system
Bose high end sound system

Edmunds shows private party price $64,630 and dealer retail $68,917. I’m not sure if the hardtop was included in the Edmonds price or not as there was not a option box to check for it. What would you think would be a “real good deal”.
Old 05-29-2006, 07:04 PM
djantlive
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How long is the warranty left? On a car with this low mileage, many issues such as RMS, rattles, tire flat spotting, dead battery can happen and will need time to sort out. I think 62K would be a great deal without robbing either one of you. He can also get a trade in appraisal at dealer and sell you some price slightly more. This way, you both feel it's objective.

The hardtop is standard but could be deleted for $1450 less than MSRP.

The 996 cab will be more civilized, comfortable, sophisticated than your old 911 (is 85 a 964 btw)? The top is easy to operate and the car looks real clean with top down. Older cabs just don't look that way with the fabric tonneau cover snapped in.
Old 05-29-2006, 07:55 PM
kmayer
Intermediate

Thanks djantive,

That is a good quesiton regarding warranty left. I had assumed it was a standard period of time like three years. I'll have to ask him. I asked one dealer about trade in value, and he said edmunds numbers are pretty close which in this situation is 60,541. My friend is not the **** car nut that I am, but I'm still rating it as excellent condition because of the mileage. It may have a wheel scuff, but nothing bigger than that. It also has the clear bra which I'll probably take off.

I have driven his car quite a bit, and it is totally different from my 85. So much so that I can see keeping them both. The 85 is pre 964.
Old 05-29-2006, 09:04 PM
djantlive
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Kool. Std warranty is 4 yr. Many 03 have only a few months left. You should have the car inspected by dealer or indept shop that knows 996 well. Search common issues which include

Coolant expansion tank leak / burst
Rear main seal oil leak
Cam seal oil leak
Manual transmission grinding
Interior rattles
Ignition switch faulty
Bad headlight switch

Of these, RMS, tranny and coolant leak should definitely be checked. If you can do it yourself and know what do look for, check it out while car is on a ramp or rack before deciding on a price. Oil should have been changed at least once every 2 years.

Scuff wheels can be repaired relatively inexpensively.
Old 05-29-2006, 09:19 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Kmayer - the original Porsche warranty is 4 years/50,000 miles. Here are a couple of things to consider. First, have a PPI (Pre-Purchase Inspection) completed on the car, which should be about $350. If you want to get an extended warranty, you have two ways to go, 1) after market warranty or 2) Porsche CPO (Certified Pre-Owned). CPO warranty is good for a total of 6 years from the original (initial) date of sale and 100,000 miles, which ever comes first.

Be careful when getting an after market warranty, a few of those companies have gone "belly up" recently. Do a search on "warranty" on the Forum and you will have an evening of reading ahead of you.

In order to get a Porsche CPO you have to buy the car from a Porsche Dealer, or it has to already be a CPO car and the warranty will transfer to the new owner. You could check to see if the local dealer would do a "sell through" on the car. Your friend sells the car to the dealer at X price, and the dealer sells it to you at X price plus the cost of the CPO, usually $1,500 - $2,000. Just make sure that all of the pricing is worked out prior to completing the deal. Hope this helps!

Last edited by gota911; 05-31-2006 at 06:59 AM.
Old 05-29-2006, 10:55 PM
catnmouse
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default keep both if you can

I have both a 996 and a 930, and consider myself very lucky to have two cars I like very much. cnm
Old 05-30-2006, 12:49 AM
nick49
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

I bought a Boxster that was 3.5 years old from a Porsche Dealer with 7900 miles and a Carrera Cab that was just over 4 years old from an Exotics dealer. Both were in exceptional condition and we (wife and I) were the second owners on both. We paid 13-15% below average trade in price in the NADA book. This would be about $52k for the car you are interested in. I would ask a few dealers what the would pay outright and use that as a basis also.
Old 05-30-2006, 11:38 AM
kmayer
Intermediate

Default Thanks

Thanks everyone for the input. Looks like I'll be taking delivery this Saturday. I must say I'm getting pretty excited. I'm going to begin researching exhaust systems as that was my one complaint about the car. Just too quiet. Based on my reasearch thus far, I'm leaning towards ghl. More research to do still. I know I won't gain any performance.

My intention is to keep both cars, particulalry since the 85 can not be replaced, and if anything will begin appreciating before long. I think worse case scenairo in this deal is that I learn the 996 coupe is the better compliment to my 85, and break even on this car and look for a coupe. I also think it's possible that I so fall in love with the 996 cab that I do put my 85 up for sale and just wait for the right buyer. In any event, I'm excited! Glad there is enough room in the garage.

Quick Reply: 996 Pricing