Sponsored by:

Porsche Sport Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2002, 02:35 PM
Loren
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
AndrewP,

Do you want to bypass it all the time or switch it?
There are several ways to do this.
Old 07-22-2002, 02:57 PM
Palting
Nordschleife Master

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts
Here's an excerpt from a guy who has heard the OEM sport exhaust, Fabspeed, Gemballa, and stock '02 c2 and stock '02 C4S. He may ven be on this board!! These cars were all assembled at one spot, and they compared idling and acceleration sounds from 1st though 2nd. This was just a bunch of owners who got together to compare, so take it for what it's worth.

"If you have a stock '02, I don't think you're going to get a big change moving to an aftermarket exhaust (at least from the ones I've heard). I think stock '02 exhausts have the loud aftermarket sound themselves, especially at low rpms, and they do lose some volume and depth at high rpms, but not a whole lot. However, the Factory Sport Exhaust was in another volume level of its own. You could hear it from very far away, ripping through the RPMs with a very throaty, but raspy roar. If you really want to upgrade the volume of your car, and have people notice you, this is the way to go

Unfortunately we didn't hear stock pre-'02 exhaust to give a good baseline comparison (even though there were a couple there, oops! ). I'd say that any of these exhausts sounded amazing as an upgrade to '01, and I think your own taste will really be the deciding factor- no one sounded "better" than another, just different.

As for me, if I do inherit some cash that I have to throw into my car on an exhaust, I'd probably make the leap to the '02 Factory Sport Exhaust. However, I'm not sure I really need to attract that much attention at this point, as this is my daily driver."
Old 07-22-2002, 06:57 PM
C4FDR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have the Porsche Sport Exhaust on my 01 C4 and did not install the module or connect to the speedo. The wiring harness was installed with an additional Porsche PSM switch and a VW high beam relay which is a mechanical relay. The switch can go in the dash or if you do not have heated seats you can buy the headed seat switch plate, one PSM switch and one blank like you most likely have in your dash already. When I turn my key on, if the light in the switch is illuminated I know I'm in the sport exhaust mode, light on = louder exhaust, light off = quiet exhaust.

The exhaust has vacuum controlled dampers and has a vacuum valve that is controlled by switching the negative on and off to the valve.
The PSM switch send a pulse to the relay that opens and closes the negative side of the vacuum valve. It has been installed since early this year and I love it. The car roars when I want it to or is quiet by a click of a switch.

The exhaust has vacuum controlled dampers and has a vaccum valve that is controlled by switching the negative on and off to the valve.
The PSM switch send a pulse to the relay that opens and closes the negative side of the vacum valve.
Old 07-23-2002, 01:54 AM
Palting
Nordschleife Master

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts
Can you "mute" the OEM Sport Exhaust when cruising at 80-90 mph, or is it madatory open like the spoilers?
Old 07-23-2002, 02:08 AM
Loren
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If you wire a switch into the check-valve vacuum control... yes. The switch would allow you total control of open or closed bypassing the speedometer control.
Old 07-23-2002, 04:03 AM
C4FDR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Total control. I can switch the exhaust whenever I like.

Quick Reply: Porsche Sport Exhaust