Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

My grievance letter to Porsche...opinions wanted (long)

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2002, 01:58 PM
Alan A
Burning Brakes

Received 28 Likes on 15 Posts
FWIW: I can see why you are so unhappy. I'd be livid also, but I think the best piece of advice I saw was to restructure the letter as one would for a non-native English speaker. I am reasonably literate, and my eyes started to glaze over by the end of the first paragraph. If it were in German, I'd have given up after the first sentence.

Otherwise, a simple statement listing the chain of events, and a comment about your expectations of a company with the reputation (always a good word for customer service types) of Porsche is probably your best bet.

At the end of the day, it's just a car. A bloody expensive car, but just a car. If a new Chevy had the same problem and then had the transmission replaced, do you think that anyone would care 3 years down the line? I know I would be happy that it was fixed personally.

I'd be more inclined to castigate the dealer than the manufacturer. You might want to send them a copy also and let them know you are thinking seriously about voting with your wallet...
Old 07-17-2002, 02:05 PM
sawmilldriver
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Urb, to digress slightly you mention that you leased the car, do you mind if I ask what the residual value was, I heard as high as 67% in 3 years for a C4S, if so there is your exit strategy, if this economy does not recover it is not likely that you would get 64-67% in three years (even before the transmission issues), but you keep the option of buying it with the lease and your exit is already in place.

I know Porsches hold their value much better than BMW, Mercedes, etc but these cars are barely at 50% of MSRP now after 3 years, I am trying to unload a 740il with few takers.
Old 07-17-2002, 02:27 PM
Bins
Addict
Rennlist Member

Dear Urb.

Maybe it would be a good approach to write a diplomatic letter to the dealer first and then if necessary, move along from there.

I think at the moment Porsche dealers are generally a franchise from Porsche,(UK anyway) and therefore Porsche will initially cliam little or no reponsibility. Therefore if you start with the dealer and then you find little success, you started in the right direction to contact an ombudsman or to contact Porsche directly.
Old 07-17-2002, 02:52 PM
Phil
Phlat Black Guru
Rennlist
Lifetime Member
- Times 2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The dealer is the place to start. remember a "little honey, will get you a lot more worker bees, than vinagar" Some one state above "the dealer got his money" correct, and the Dealer will be helpful, has long as it's not an "abusive" situation Too many people go after the dealer with both guns ablazin.......and then get now where!
Old 07-17-2002, 03:55 PM
Todd
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Good advice on saying it like it is, and not sending. Then re-writing in a matter that will get you what you want rather than upset people. "Kill them w/ kindness" No threats, ect and say you love their cars, but you would just like a sincere explanation ect. However, do make it known you are unsatisfied w/ the whole thing. If they were a starter company they would probably bend over backwards for you, but being so profitable, ect, a rude letter will most likely end up in the trash and you'll be labeled as a "problem customer" Note, the dealer may do this to you also. I know it's frustrating, and I'd be pissed too, but go do something relaxing or aggressive to get out the emotions. Then write a letter from the head as said above. Business is still business. And although the car is emotional to you, your a "number" right now. Maybe Porsche should treat their numbers better, but you are still one. And don't go buy a 360 Modena. Well, maybe a 550....
Old 07-17-2002, 04:31 PM
tbr623
Intermediate

Exclamation

After having a transmission replaced and having spoke to Customer Commitment at Porsche in Georgia, I received a call from a district service manager this morning-three business days from the initial complaint. We spoke at length about my concerns that my MY99 996 had practically all the usual complaints addressed and now a catastrophic trans failure.Although quite pleasant and certaintly sympathetic,he clearly stated Porsches position. They will not, under ANY circumstance extend the factory warranty due to what he called legal issues. Regardless if you paid 80 or 380 thousand for that matter-any car can have faults-that is why a warranty is offered. Further,they feel the 4 year/50K package is competitive in the industry and also stated prior to MY99 a 2 year warranty was only offered.Problems addressed by TSB's would be addressed on a case by case basis if out of warranty.Those who choose to play weekend racer-re; track days,D.E. and autocross generally think under warranty all problems would be resolved--better think again. That activity is technically prohibited-so if you track,then break something and its fixed under warranty-consider yourself lucky.I knew what the response would be before I even got a call.I think it helps to express concerns-especially if other problems exist later-documentation is important. But if you think you'll get anything else-good luck. If you check the Lemon law in your state you'll be horified what it takes to file a successful claim.
Old 07-17-2002, 04:58 PM
urbanski
Instructor

OK, thanks again. Major revision of my letter is planned, after I calm down, get home, and have some beers Less vinegar, more honey.

sawmilldriver, mine is a 60 month lease, with no penalty for converting it to a conventional loan. So the residual is 47,000 (what's that, about 53%?). I may convert it soon if the car does not act up.

tbr623, thanks for your input. So I may not get any more warranty, I may get something...maybe a Porsche leather jacket, worth a shot.

In the end I really just want Porsche to know how many comminication failures occured along the line. Maybe their process can improve. I know, karl k., but in keeping this car I got over $1000 from my dealer which paid for a whole year of insurance plus.

The letter was pretty therapeutic. I'll listen to you all, tone it down, and be more focused for my next draft
Old 07-17-2002, 05:16 PM
Phil
Phlat Black Guru
Rennlist
Lifetime Member
- Times 2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
urban,
when you ready, I will tell you how Porsche fights!!! A coworker did battle with POrsche over an 02 cab..........nasty nsty nasty!
Old 07-17-2002, 06:04 PM
02barebones996c2
Track Day

HEY URBANSKI..
MY BROTHER HAD TEH SAME PROBLem as you, he got his 02 996 C2 last month, around the end of july, afetr 3 days his transmission broke, th edealer told him too that a new tranny will take about 4-5 days to get here after more than a week of waiting my brother called teh dealer and still they gave him teh run around, what he did then was he called porsche commitment/customer service and yelled, barked, chewed the head of whomever he tallked too, told them taht he should have bought himself an SL 500, he even told tehm that porsche is a piece fo crap he payed 80, plus thousand for a car that breaks down in 2 days.. the people at porsche then told tehm taht they will do something for him to make him happy..

the next pay porsche caleld him back and told him taht they will pay for his 1st month payment of around 1800, dolalrs, and that the transmission was a customs and waiting for clearnace, it took them 3-4 days fromt he tiem they called for him to get his car back to running condition...

they gave him key chains, shirts etc. too..

it dont hurt to yell at them once ina while..

porsche commitment works i beleive, i think they even got to fire a shoddy sales man for me, since a slaesman tried to sell me a car that i did not order, and they trie to pretend that, that car was the car taht i ordered.

by the way if u answer a a survey for themtehy are supposed to send you a plaque that has a porsche log and your vin numbe rin teh bottom, im still waiting on mine, i had to call them back and they told me that there was a "mishap" and that i should get my plaque within 2-4 weeks..

i hope everything works out..

write them a letter and call them... be mad it worked for my brother...
Old 07-17-2002, 06:13 PM
JonT
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
"Didn't think the 996s were handbuilt?"

I just don't understand that. I visited the factory this past April and there was nary a robot to be found. All work at Zuffenhausen is hand assembled I can assure you.

regards
Jon, who assumes he'll get excommunicated from rennlist for prodding the hiberating "993 vs 996" bear. I really should know better. <ducking>
Old 07-21-2002, 08:43 PM
Patrick
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist
Member - times 3

Received 227 Likes on 139 Posts
Actually Ford Motor Company specifies that my Lincoln dealer must provide a comparable Lincoln vehicle when mine is in for service. And they are rentals, and I don't complain when a Lincoln is not available but that is rare.

So while Volkswagen doesn't provide us with Porsches, that is them. Other manufacturers do.

[quote]Originally posted by David R. Hendrickson:
<strong>yeah, take out the stuff about the loaner. that's an individual dealer issue, manufacturers don't tell dealers what to offer for loaners.

(SNIP)
</strong><hr></blockquote>

Quick Reply: My grievance letter to Porsche...opinions wanted (long)