Sponsored by:

best pedal replacements

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2006, 11:17 PM
jren
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default best pedal replacements

996 1 week owner. What took me so long? MODS??? What really counts? New pedals? which kind? What else?
Old 05-26-2006, 11:28 PM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 57 Posts

Just bought on ebay a set of these aluminum pedals for $78 plus $25 shipping based on other posts about these. I haven't gotten them yet so I don't know what they look like but if they suck, it's not like I spent a fortune. I'll post pics if they work out and i install them.
Congrats on your pcar!
Old 05-26-2006, 11:35 PM
jren
Track Day

pongobaz,

They look great. If they install without problems what else would you want?
How much do you drive your car? I have a truck also but don't know if miles should be counted as other vehicles.

John
Old 05-26-2006, 11:37 PM
Nicolaasdb
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought mine from Ebay...and they are very nice...original Porsche look (but they might be knock offs.....but who can tell??) anyway..paid 120 bucks and the only pain to install was the break pedal....the screws are very close to the edge of the pedal and when drilling..you got to be very careful not to "screw it up"
Old 05-26-2006, 11:38 PM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

John,
Just got it in March, but I drive it everyday. Got rid of my CLK last week because i had no more use for it. I'm averaging 2000kms per month.
Old 05-27-2006, 07:59 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by pongobaz
Just bought on ebay a set of these aluminum pedals for $78 plus $25 shipping based on other posts about these. I haven't gotten them yet so I don't know what they look like but if they suck, it's not like I spent a fortune. I'll post pics if they work out and i install them.
Congrats on your pcar!
pongobaz - When you install your pedals, don't install the brake and clutch pedals like they are shown in the ebay pic. Rather, you need to swap them so the "tapered" part of the bottom of each pedal is on the "outside" of the pedal. The tapered part is there to keep your shoe from catching on the pedal when moving your foot from the gas to the brake pedal or from the dead pedal to the clutch.

The brake pedal is made of a steel alloy, and will be a little harder to drill through. Just use a good, sharp titanium tipped drill bet and you can drill the two holes in the brake pedal in about 1.5 minutes. Let me know if you have any other questions about the install process.
Old 05-27-2006, 09:25 AM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

^^^
thanks Tim,
I had noticed that they had the clutch and brake pedals reversed. I'll go to home depot and get a good titanium bit. What size bit did you use? Also, it says to leave the original rubber covers on, is that correct?
Old 05-27-2006, 09:51 AM
jerler
Instructor

I bought the same pedlas from ebay. They look good. Not as nice as Ultimate Pedals but for the price they are great.

I removed the rubber covers from the brake and clutch pedals because it seemed like they fit much better.

The provided screws were not long enough for the gas pedal so a trip to the hardware store is required.

I also glued the rubber inserts in with contact cement. They are justed pressed in and on the gas pedal particularly, there is nothing else behind them, so I thought a little glue was in order to keep my foot from pushing them out.
Old 06-01-2006, 10:03 PM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

Pedals just arrived after UPS took it's sweet a$$ time but they look quite good; very pleasantly surprised. Next stop, Home Depot after work tomorrow for: longer screws, contact cement (for rubber backers), speed clamps and titanium bits. This site is great for all the info from others experiences. Anything else I need for my Sunday afternoon mod? I'll post pics when it's done.
Old 06-01-2006, 10:53 PM
gota911
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by pongobaz
Pedals just arrived after UPS took it's sweet a$$ time but they look quite good; very pleasantly surprised. Next stop, Home Depot after work tomorrow for: longer screws, contact cement (for rubber backers), speed clamps and titanium bits. This site is great for all the info from others experiences. Anything else I need for my Sunday afternoon mod? I'll post pics when it's done.
Pongobaz - Yes, you want to remove the rubber OEM pedals from the brake and clutch. For the dead pedal and the gas pedal, you will screw the Aluminum pedals to the OEM dead pedal and gas pedals.

Dead Pedal - remove the dead pedal, (one screw) and align the aluminum pedal to make sure that the top screw hole on the aluminum pedal is NOT directly on top of the OEM screw hole. You might have to move the aluminum pedal up 1/4" to avoid the OEM dead pedal screw. Clamp the aluminum pedal to the OEM pedal and drill the two holes. Replace the OEM dead pedal and then place the aluminum pedal over it and use two screws to attach it.

Gas Pedal - Do not remove OEM gas pedal. Position the aluminum pedal on top of OEM pedal, clamp in place, drill two holes and insert screws.
Old 06-01-2006, 10:57 PM
dallasboats
Pro

I have those pedals too. Still have not installed................
Old 06-01-2006, 11:06 PM
gota911
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by dallasboats
I have those pedals too. Still have not installed................
Dallas - It is only a 45 - 60 minute job... and you gain at least 10 hp with the aluminum pedals!
Old 06-01-2006, 11:14 PM
C4 Pazzo
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Pongobaz, You might want to pick up a laser level. I found it helpful in getting the Porsche lettering (reasonably) square. For the dead pedal, I used a longer screw and went right into the existing dead pedal screw hole. For the other pedals, I use metric allen head machine screws that were greyish/black. I think they match up better with the black rubber dots than the silver screws did. Also, make sure you check the length of the screws, I had to use longer ones for the gas pedal.
I've been extremely happy with these pedals. They look great and make heal-and-toe shifting a lot easier (for typical street use where I don't usually brake hard enough to easily reach the OEM pedal). Still haven't tried them on the track, but I don't think they will make it more difficult than before.
Old 06-01-2006, 11:17 PM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by C4 Pazzo
Pongobaz, You might want to pick up a laser level.
Thanks! Finally get to use that laser level I got from the kids for X-mas. Great idea!
Old 06-01-2006, 11:22 PM
delirium
Racer

I think those ebay pedals look slippery, so I went w/ the ultimate medal pedal when they had a group buy.

Quick Reply: best pedal replacements