Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Mystery drips from below gear-shifter...

Old 07-13-2002, 03:32 AM
prosaic id
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Mystery drips from below gear-shifter...

I appear to have drops of some clear fluid from the bottom of my car. It comes from the center and aligned vertically below the gear-shifter. The drip-rate is about one per five seconds. I just noticed it and this rate is just after stopping the vehicle after a 1-hour drive.

It's a 2002 manual and so I will take it back to the dealership, but just wondered if anyone has any ideas.

BTW - I just had a transmission replaced and so it could be something to do with that. New stuff cooking off? I don't know really.
Old 07-13-2002, 04:27 AM
Loren
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Is it clear like water? If so it's AC condensation (normal).
Too far forward for cosmoline. Brake fluid or steering rack leak? Again... is it oily to the feel?
Old 07-13-2002, 01:42 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 230 Likes on 186 Posts
AC drip? Regards. Mike
Old 07-13-2002, 02:33 PM
John Murray
Racer

These cars drip a LOT of condensation from the A/C system, a LOT.
Old 07-13-2002, 08:09 PM
prosaic id
8th Gear

Smile

Thank you for the responses. The drips are greasy and evaporate quickly. I mentioned this to the dealer and was told that this is the AC and is quite normal. I guess I am just a little paranoid. Thanks for clearing this up. Now I can get back to breaking it in - and then see what it's truly capable of.
Old 07-13-2002, 09:08 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 230 Likes on 186 Posts
It's totally understandable particularly with what happened to your tranny and all. Mitey awesome car you got : ). Once broken in you'll need to go to a few DE's and see what it's all about-a true blast!!! Talk about paranoid-when I got my car back in 11/98 I walked into my garage to drive to work and I saw a large 3 square foot oil spot underneath the car. I said sh*t but what happened is my wife the evening before moved my car and put her car in there and her car had developed an oil leak and when she went to work she took out her car and put my car back where it was and not telling me. I freaked out looking underneath my car looking where it was coming from but couldn't find ditto. Luckily 15 minutes after the fact she called me that she was taking the car to the mechanic because of the leak and needed a ride in her car so I asked her did she move my car. Sure enough she did. I said whew!! I was all unraveled having the car for like only 3 days and my car does this. Like they say better safe then sorry so it's good it was just the AC drip. Mike

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Mystery drips from below gear-shifter...