Sponsored by:

1st post-my 996 saga

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2002, 02:58 PM
tbr623
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post 1st post-my 996 saga

I've been reading this forum for about a year,but really haven't had anything to add--until today. You guys will love this. I have a 99 996 C2 coupe with 13k miles. I'm retired/disabled and this is my only car. I got the car last year used-6k miles and perfect condition. I've had the usual problems such as coolant recovery tank replaced and about a month ago I had the rear main seal replaced. All under warranty and I have been treated great by my dealer. Yesterday while having the gas cap recall completed I decided to purchase an extended warranty since the factory warranty will expire in around 6 months. I arrived at the dealer this morning and purchased the contract. As I left I wondered if I had done the right thing. As I pulled out of the parking space I felt something strange and then heard what sounded like ball bearings in a coffee can. Well to make a long story short-back to the service department--- Guess who needs a transmission!!!!! The tech said he thinks its the bearing on the first and second gear slider. I feel a whole lot better about buying and extended warranty. I wonder if the trans was damaged when they replaced the rear seal. I let you guys know what happens
Old 07-12-2002, 03:31 PM
LastV8
Banned

Wink

Man, don't you feel good. Considering what not having an extended warranty can cost you it's a wonder anyone doubts their usefullness.
Old 07-12-2002, 03:53 PM
Sloth
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Consider yourself lucky that these things went while under factory warranty, I purchased the extended warranty on mine figuring that those items will go out once the factory warranty is up. Knowing my luck, they will both probably go at my first drivers ed coming up next month.

No coolant tank issues or rear main seal issues on my 2/98 build 996 coupe with 18,000 miles.
Old 07-12-2002, 03:53 PM
tbr623
Intermediate

No doubt about it. I really did give the purchase of the warranty a lot of thought. Todays cars are or should be quite bullet proof-after today-well you know how it goes. What really bothers me is I don't track or autocross the car. I'm the only driver and I don't run it very hard. Thats going to change when I get it back. Its bad enough the resale is rediculous. As well as the fact other manufacturers give generous warranties on their used cars.The bright side is that I leased it and won't be stuck with it and with the hassle of trying to sell it. Its a great car when its not on the lift at the dealer--and by the way-I got a Taurus as a loaner !
Old 07-12-2002, 04:01 PM
Sloth
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
At least you got a loaner. I bring my 996 in and they say... "Sorry, no loaner for you since you did not buy the car from us." I stopped going to my dealership after the factory warranty expired, they are to far away and were a rip off.
Old 07-12-2002, 04:27 PM
ohsixx
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Congrats!, I guess.

I have an extended warranty on my current car; six years or 75K which ever comes first.

I bought it primarily as a resale feature.
Old 07-12-2002, 06:05 PM
RLM
Track Day

I would be interested to know what the cost is for an extended warranty. Thanks
Old 07-12-2002, 06:26 PM
tbr623
Intermediate

The prices vary some. I do know the one I purchased (API) is as comprehensive as the factories. Most importantly its readily accepted without hassle by my service department. Fortunately, they do a great job and I want to continue to use them. The contract was 1495 for 60K miles. PS I checked Alldata, they list the replacement price for a 996 6 speed at $7730.00!!a replacement motor over 18K!!
Old 07-12-2002, 06:27 PM
tbr623
Intermediate

The prices vary some. I do know the one I purchased (API) is as comprehensive as the factories. Most importantly its readily accepted without hassle by my service department. Fortunately, they do a great job and I want to continue to use them. The contract was 1495 for 60K miles. PS I checked Alldata, they list the replacement price for a 996 6 speed at $7730.00!!a replacement motor over 18K!!
Old 07-12-2002, 09:02 PM
DonW-Cape Cod
R.I.P.
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Thumbs up

Hey TBR623...way to go! Glad you're ahead of the game. Welcome and good luck!
Old 07-13-2002, 04:30 PM
Vik
Instructor

tbr623, it seems that your timing was perfect. I'm not sure if you've gone through the hoops of actually claiming on your extended warranty, but the only potential concern I see is that you may get some heat for claiming so soon after the warranty was obtained. Company may come back to you and say that you knew all along that there was something wrong. Of course this is not true, and it is impossible to determine when the tranny will go, but curious to know if this might be a potential roadblock.

I know for third-party providers of extended warranties, they require a minimum 30 - 60 day break-in period, whereby the purchaser of the warranty cannot claim. They want to avoid individuals that know their car is on a verge of a break-down and are seeking to claim.

Again, don't know at which point of the cycle you are in, but I wish you the best of luck.

Regards.
Old 07-13-2002, 04:39 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 203 Posts
So you can get an extended warranty from the dealership after you bought the car with so and so miles on it? Do you get from dealership or some independent company? Thanks. Mike
Old 07-14-2002, 01:17 PM
tbr623
Intermediate

Actually the car is still under the factory warranty,I was just fortunate the problem occured at the dealer and not on the road. I was never a believer in extended warranty,but with the problems experienced and talked about on sites like this,it is quite obvious that Porsche is using the customer to further their R and D. Most extended warranty companies, at least the ones I researched consider a car under factory warranty " a new car" and will offer the coverage regardless if you buy it when you pick up the car or after some time goes by.I'm glad this problem happened now so that Porsche gets the bill, and rest assured the remaining few months left on the factory warranty will be utilized for anything else I can find wrong. As far as "jumping through hoops" to use an extended warranty-this dealership will gladly accept their payment. I hope that cleared some things up.
Old 06-15-2006, 04:54 PM
TomP
Rennlist Member

Default Question for tbr623...

Which one of API's warranties did you purchase?
They list several, but no easy way to compare them.

tom

Originally Posted by tbr623
Old 06-15-2006, 05:25 PM
Botsy67
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

That's great, you are covered by your warranty, you are in luck for sure... I hope my extended warranty will also cover what I think is a coolant expansion tank leak, not sure yet. BTW I just posted a thread inquiring some help and support from this crowd. But to the last resort, I will have to bring it to the local stealer. Just pray whatever it is, it will be covered by the extended warranty :-)

Quick Reply: 1st post-my 996 saga