996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Silver State write-up

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2006, 03:01 AM
Nicolaasdb
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

that changes it a lot...driving 124mhp and not getting a speeding ticket like I did today!!! I think I will think about signing up...seems like fun...tried to fly a airplane yesterday...first lesson...and to be frank: it is kind of boring compared to driving fast in the a P..... of course fighter jets and other big planes will make it more exciting than a Cessna..but you got to start somewhere...
Old 05-25-2006, 12:44 PM
NNH
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RallyWagon
Simon, I saw your post on the SSCC message board and followed the link. Nice write up. I'm glad my fellow team mate, Blue, took good care of you.

Welcome to the world of ORR!! We are lucky enough to have four different organizations putting on these events in Nevada, Texas and Nebraska. Do check out these other links and come join the fun!

Silver State Classic, Nevada: http://www.silverstateclassic.com/

MKM Racing, Nevada: http://www.openroadracing.com/

Big Bend ORR, Texas: http://www.bborr.com/

Sandhills ORR, Nebraska: http://www.sorcrace.com/

To answer your questions:

1. Helmet, gloves and fire extinguisher up to 110 mph. For speeds above that more safety equipment is required.

2. I'll let Simon answer the specifics for his car, but in general it all depends how fast you want to go - and how much of an excuse you need for doing those mods!

3. Not advisable to count on your insurance company coughing up. In fact best not to let them know what you're doing.

4. The road is closed to all except race traffic for the duration of the event.
Hi RW - Unfortunately I can't work out who you are from your description!
Thanks for pointing out the fire extinguisher requirement. For others, the basic safety requirements are:

Touring: 124mph maximum speed, up to 110mph average. Helmets, gloves, fire extinguisher

Grand Touring: 140mph maximum speed, up to 125mph average. Add 6 point harnesses, and for open cars a rollbar.

Grand Sport: 165mph maximum speed, up to 150mph average. Add a rollbar and fireproof clothing. Vipers and faster Corvettes and 350Zs play here, and a 928 and a GT3 also took part.

Super Sport and Unlimited: Speeds of 180mph or greater are common. You essentially need a race car with rollcage, full fire suppression system, and fuel cell.

Please check the rulebook thoroughly to get all the details. I plan to move up to 120 or 125 mph in the Grand Touring class, which means I don't have to rip up the car or spend $7k I don't actually have to comply with the Grand Sport rules. I think 140mph max on a two line highway will be enough for me for next time!

Mods: For a 964 or later model, I don't think any mods beyond safety are necessary, though it never hurts to lower the SUV-style US suspension. My '02 996 felt absolutely stable at 120+ in a crosswind, and I don't think I will need to change anything (except brake fluid ) to go faster next time. AFAIK, the GT3 in the 150mph class was essentially stock, and I think that if I find the cash for GT3 seats and a DAS/Techquipment/GMG rollbar I could probably compete up to the 145mph class without any additional mechanical work. Of course, the driver needs a lot of work first, but that's a different story...

Last edited by NNH; 05-25-2006 at 01:27 PM. Reason: Correction to touring speed
Old 05-25-2006, 01:12 PM
bowmanm98
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just curious at 123mph what RPM were you riding?
Old 05-25-2006, 01:24 PM
NNH
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by bowmanm98

I didn't pay a lot of attention as I was mainly shifting by ear, but I recall seeing the tach well over 5000 in 5th, and under 5000 in 6th whenever I felt the straight was long enough. I'm still working on making the 5th-6th change instinctive, so I didn't do it very often during the race.
Official results have now appeared, and we clocked 119mph at the radar gun so I guess the over-read on the speedo is quite significant at more than 100mph.

PS The engine makes a fabulous growl as you accelerate beyond 110!

Last edited by NNH; 05-25-2006 at 01:25 PM. Reason: PS
Old 05-25-2006, 02:40 PM
JimB
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bowmanm98
Assuming 285/30/18s with a 24.6 inch diameter you would be at 5920 RPMs in 5th or 4860 in 6th. More or less.

Fun write up. Thanks.
Old 05-25-2006, 04:48 PM
bowmanm98
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JimB
Assuming 285/30/18s with a 24.6 inch diameter you would be at 5920 RPMs in 5th or 4860 in 6th. More or less.

Fun write up. Thanks.

Ok how'd you do that.

Anyway this sounds like fun. I can use my NASA TT license to bump up past rookie limits and avoid having to do the school. Sounds like a trip to Vegas is in order this fall.

Mike
Old 05-25-2006, 05:11 PM
NNH
Burning Brakes

Excellent - see you there! Rules and information are available on www.silverstateclassic.com
If you're planning to run faster than the 110mph class, my notes above give a basic idea of what safety gear you'll need, but do read the rules carefully as quite a few people had surprises during tech inspection. The other thing you'll need is a navigator who is cool under pressure.
Old 05-25-2006, 05:58 PM
Richard S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 123 Likes on 76 Posts

Hey, great to see another ORR participant here on Rennlist. I've done several events with MKM in my 928's. In fact, Tim and Cheryl Dey were in the 928 at your event. You can check out their write-up on the 928 list here https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum/275022-nevada-open-road-challenge-weekend-quite-long.html .

The next MKM event is the Bonneville 100 in July, followed by the Pony Express in August. These events are awesome, and the Porsche's really feel comfortable at sustained high speeds. My first event several years ago was as navigator for George Suennen in his 1990 928S4 in the 140mph class. Nothing like flying across the desert at 165mph on the loooooong straights (8-12 miles at a time). Since then George has supercharged his 928, and added the required safety items to make a run at 200+mph. By the way, Marc and Susan Thomas of DEVEK have had their 928 clocked at 209mph at a previous open road race.....driven to and from the event, not a trailer queen! Since my initial involvement, I've driven in the 110mph and 125mph classes. I recently purchased a 1987 928 S4 and will move up in class this season.

I highly recommend these events to everyone that wants to drive their car at sustained high speeds. You will have a great time, meet tons of fun people, and experience the thrill of driving your car fast...really really fast!

Check out www.openroadracing.com for info on the MKM events.

Send me a message if you have any questions at all. We would love to see more Porsches.....there are already too many Corvettes!

Rich
Old 05-26-2006, 05:33 AM
sweanders
Race Director

Thank you for the very nice writeup!

I have been navigating in the 145 and 160 class and it is a blast, hope to bring my own car one of these days.
Old 05-26-2006, 11:07 AM
Tahoe Shark
Addict
Rennlist Member

Excellent write up. Very similar to by feelings a few years ago on my "Rookie" event.

We were the 928 starting in position #7 in the 150 class. Roger Greene was the GT3 starting about position 22. You will have no trouble moving up in classes in your 996. Thats where it really starts getting fun. Please come out to some of the MKM northern nevada events. There are more turns and sweepers in our courses and the racers are just as friendly as the ones you met a the Silver State. We even have a Porsche team and you are welcome to compete in the Team Challenge.

If you need any help,advice or timekeeping assistance just ask. There are a lot of us to help you.

Hey Anders, are you coming over this year?
Old 05-26-2006, 11:14 AM
sweanders
Race Director

Originally Posted by Tahoe Shark
I would like to, hoping to get a nav spot that I can't resist..

Starting a new job (at Goodyear) on wednesday and will see how I can plan this summers vacation..
Old 05-26-2006, 02:05 PM
NNH
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Tahoe Shark
Excellent write up. Very similar to by feelings a few years ago on my "Rookie" event.

We were the 928 starting in position #7 in the 150 class. Roger Greene was the GT3 starting about position 22. You will have no trouble moving up in classes in your 996. Thats where it really starts getting fun. Please come out to some of the MKM northern nevada events. There are more turns and sweepers in our courses and the racers are just as friendly as the ones you met a the Silver State. We even have a Porsche team and you are welcome to compete in the Team Challenge.

If you need any help,advice or timekeeping assistance just ask. There are a lot of us to help you.

Thanks for the kind offer of help. I hope my little "novel" will persuade some more people to come and join the fun: it feels so good to use the car properly!

I'm pondering how to safely step up to a set of six-point harnesses with some budget limitations this year (among other things, I'm paying a British mortgage in pounds, but I'm paid in dollars which has not been a pretty scenario lately...)

I'm 6'4", so I'm confident that my shoulders are high enough to safely engage a harness on a BK mount over a stock seat, but my girlfriend is "only" 5'10" and has less broad shoulders so I need to very carefully consider her safety. A sternum strap might help, but that has potential dangers of its own. Suggestions galdly welcomed. Obviously the simplest solution is a pair of GT3 seats and a TE/DAS/GMG rollbar, but I don't currently have a spare $5k+. I guess it might be possible to get a single GT3 seat and swap it from side to side depending on what I'm doing, but I don't know if they are symmetrical.

Sharkster, any suggestions?

Simon

Simon
Old 06-15-2006, 10:01 AM
Ruf-Racer
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Default Anders

Right seat is still open Anders.Hans device req'd for our SS1 class however or perhaps we can gear down to 155?

cheers

R

Hi Tim,Rich, Lady Jane
Attached Images  
Old 06-15-2006, 10:59 AM
Tahoe Shark
Addict
Rennlist Member

Welcome to Rennlist, Roland.

Which car you running at Bonneville?
Old 06-15-2006, 01:45 PM
Ruf-Racer
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Default Which car?

hi Tim,

Welcome to rennlist? Shame on me..lifetime member and I don't visit too often do I? This is stil one of the best P car sites on the planet.

Now which car? Hell,I don't know. Just got the Ruf car back..bigger and badder than ever. I may pull out the passenger seat and run unlimited if Anders desn't show up to navigate. Ooops did I say unlimited? Meant top class.I need a new 200 club jacket my other one is now six years years old. Final car choice will be either the Ruf,the Z06 or in a pinch the M5. Looking forward to seeing you at Wendover.

Cheers

R

I need my trailer back.LOL!

Quick Reply: Silver State write-up