996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Aftermarket Warranty - Follow up post

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2006, 04:21 PM
jsaindc
Burning Brakes

Received 40 Likes on 12 Posts

I recently had a terrible experience with easy care. I do not recommend them. They authorized only a half a$$ repair (not what Porsche reommened)and then would not pay for a full diagnosis to uncover the problem. I could go on for a long time but take my word...these guys suck!
Old 10-03-2006, 05:43 PM
dimnslow
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Both AA Autowarranty and Prism have not gotten back to me. Does anyone know if they are not responding back to me because I am located in California?

I'm in San Francisco, with a 2000 Porsche 911 with 39K on the odo.

If there are other 3rd party insurance providers anyone knows. Please post on this site, thanks!
Old 10-03-2006, 06:24 PM
RAC
Racer

Originally Posted by dimnslow
Both AA Autowarranty and Prism have not gotten back to me. Does anyone know if they are not responding back to me because I am located in California?

If there are other 3rd party insurance providers anyone knows. Please post on this site, thanks!

Wow that is wierd. They contacted me within 2 days by email and phone.
Old 10-04-2006, 01:23 AM
TBH996
Instructor

I purchased my '02 996 in July with 20,200 on the ODO with no problems to speak of. By early September and at 22,200, my RMS was shot (i.e. adding a quart of oil after 2 weeks and needed a drip pan under the car). I purchased the car with a bumper to bumper warranty for an addtional 3yr/36K for $2795. They covered the RMS repair but would not pay for the intermediate seal bolt replacement. All in all, I spent $50 on the deduct and about $100 on the intermediate bolt shenanigans. The other $1000 was absorbed by the warranty company without a problem. Seeing the ease at which this was handled by both the Porsche dealership and the warranty company, I'm very satisfied with my aftermarket warranty especially considering that I'm bound to have something else fail within the next 3 years...maybe even the RMS 3 or 4 more times...according to what I've read on this forum!
Old 10-04-2006, 03:45 PM
dimnslow
Advanced

Hey Rac,

could it be that those two companies just doesn't cover people in California? Speaking of which, is there anyone IN California who has extended warranty/ aftermarket warranty coverage?

Old 10-04-2006, 05:31 PM
RAC
Racer

Hey Rac,

could it be that those two companies just doesn't cover people in California? Speaking of which, is there anyone IN California who has extended warranty/ aftermarket warranty coverage?

yes, that might be the case. I was looking at a few different contracts and I saw some that are not valid in California. If you to AA Autowarranty you can view thier contracts that they have. make sure to click on the pdf versions. then towards the end of the contract you will see a state by state exclusions. Although I did see a few sections where it looks as though they are. Your best bet may be to call direct and talk to someone.

After some looking, the plan that is a bumper to bumper warranty that would work for you is not covered in Cali.
Old 10-04-2006, 11:14 PM
neoprufrok
Rennlist Member

Received 512 Likes on 168 Posts

Hi all, new to the forum, but have been lurking as I'm in the market for a Porsche. Just thought I'd add to this that there is one company that sells Cali extended warranties: www.warrantydirect.com

Sounds like a good company and is the only company authorized to sell extended warranties in this state.

I also found more information at the following website:

http://www.carbuyingtips.com/warranty.htm

which I've found to be quite helpful.

Well again, hello and great info in this forum.

Rich
Old 10-04-2006, 11:47 PM
WFO
Advanced

I don't think warranty direct will do 2001 996's in California. Like I posted earlier in this thread, I purschased a "warranty Direct" warranty for my 2002 996 and I live in California, just a couple of months ago......although it still had a couple of months worth of factory warranty remaining. They contacted me right away, after inquiring on their website, they also sent my contract right away.
Old 10-05-2006, 01:08 AM
dimnslow
Advanced

Yeah, I checked WarrantyDirect and they do not cover my car. Does anyone know which company will cover a 2000 911 Carrera, in California?
Old 10-05-2006, 02:04 AM
neoprufrok
Rennlist Member

Received 512 Likes on 168 Posts

My bad. I thought I tried 2001 911 C2 and it did cover.
Old 10-07-2006, 12:13 PM
PorscheRealtor
AutoX

I'm in California, too. I just spent $600 on a temperature controller for my ''00 996. I was on the fence before, but now I'm convinced I need a policy. So does anyone have any California reco's? Thanks
Old 10-07-2006, 01:23 PM
JJB236
Racer

I'm having the same problem. Those two have not responded back to me. I am thinking my yahoo email is not recognizing the senders and might have automatically sent their emails to the trash folder. I am also in California.

I'm gonna send them another email.
Old 10-07-2006, 01:26 PM
discoganya
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JJB236
I'm having the same problem. Those two have not responded back to me. I am thinking my yahoo email is not recognizing the senders and might have automatically sent their emails to the trash folder. I am also in California.

I'm gonna send them another email.
The only way to buy a policy in California is through a dealer. I have spoken to Easy Care several times on the phone for my exsisting policy and they won't even quote me a price for renewal. There is some law that states that only dealers can sell warranties.
Old 03-05-2007, 01:27 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts

This thread is informative, but as our 2003 Boxster warranty (factory) is running out this month, we are faced with purchasing an aftermarket warranty or selling the car.

Does anyone have a recommendation for an aftermarket warranty provider that sells in California?

Many thanks!
Old 03-05-2007, 10:48 AM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Interesting! Does anyone know if the Porsche dealers honor a Prizm type warranty that wasn't purchased from that dealer?

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Warranty - Follow up post