996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Aftermarket Warranty - Follow up post

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2006 | 06:03 PM
JJB236
Racer

td873

Thanks for the detailed info. I think I would just bypass the dealer and go directly to the aftermarket warranty companies. It looks like the dealer adds premium. That explains why this finance manager was cordial and answering all my email questions. Well, that's fair enough, but i am going straight to the warranty company.
Old 09-27-2006 | 10:33 PM
pvanosta
Instructor

JJB236:

Please let me know which company you're dealing with that will provide you coverage in California.

thanks.

Patrick
Old 09-28-2006 | 07:41 PM
Fast40th
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by pvanosta
I'm looking into getting a warranty for my '01 C4 tip with 45,000 miles.
It's currently under CPO warranty, which runs out in December '06.

It looks like these warranties are not available to California residents, which seems rather odd.

Any California residents wanna chime in on this one and point me in the right direction?
Thanks.

Patrick
I'm also in SoCal and interested on after market warranties recommendations applicable in California.

Cheers and thanks.
Old 09-29-2006 | 01:25 AM
WFO
Advanced

I bought a warranty through these guys, Warranty Direct http://www.warrantydirect.com/

Purchased it a couple of months before the factory warranty ran out on my 2002 carrera. I only had 16,000 miles on my car. Haven't had to use it yet, but have only heard good things about them. I live in california.

Hope this helps
Old 09-29-2006 | 10:03 AM
pvanosta
Instructor

Thanks, but it doesn't.

When I put in my CPO '01 C4 Cpe Tip, it says there is no coverage avilable for that model/year.....
Old 09-29-2006 | 10:37 AM
jdk1
Instructor

Be careful with AA Auto Warranty. I looked at them when I bought my car but decided against coverage due to a few of the stipulations in their contract.

1. They will only cover $75/hour labor, which is about half the going rate in Chicago.

2. They reserve the right to substitute rebuilt parts.

3. They require that you keep records of oil changes at a mechanic every 3,000 miles or three months (whichever comes first) regardless of Porsche maintenance requirements. DIY doesn't count. Failure to comply (present service records) will allow them to deny coverage.

4. The cost for my car was around $4,700 and change.
Old 09-29-2006 | 01:09 PM
RAC
Racer

Originally Posted by Jeff Kohnke
Be careful with AA Auto Warranty. I looked at them when I bought my car but decided against coverage due to a few of the stipulations in their contract.

1. They will only cover $75/hour labor, which is about half the going rate in Chicago.

3. They require that you keep records of oil changes at a mechanic every 3,000 miles or three months (whichever comes first) regardless of Porsche maintenance requirements. DIY doesn't count. Failure to comply (present service records) will allow them to deny coverage.

I have done a lot of talking with them and labor does need to be checked, also it depends on which company the contract is coming from. They are a broker and sell many different contracts from different companies. The other thing to watch is the deductibles. Some contracts will charge a deductible on each part not per visit. Better understand what that means. Also you're right about maintenance. Every contract has these requirements and you better know them and follow them or they could/will deny you.

I have been doing a lot of reading and researching on these warranties. I am thinking about passing on getting any of these products. The best advice I can give is to read many contracts from many different companies. You better know what you’re buying. You better understand the difference between a named-component and an exclusionary warranty. The only warranties I have been offered on my car are named-componet. That means if it is not on the list in the contract it is not covered. Also, most of these warranties the part must break before it is covered and not “wear and tear”. No thanks I would rather catch the problem before it breaks (wear and tear) and does more damage to other parts on the car (which will not be covered). So buyers beware and read the contract before you sign then ask even more questions.

If I was going to buy a warranty your best bet is to get an exclusionary warranty that covers break down and wear and tear with a zero deductible. These are vary costly. But then beware.
Old 09-29-2006 | 01:51 PM
dimnslow
Advanced

Originally Posted by Jeff Kohnke

Thanks for your input guys. I was worried about the reliability of my car since I bought it used w/o warranty but these are great sources! After hearing about AA Auto Warranty I may not go with them, but I submitted quote requests to both Prizm and AA, but probably go with Prizm because of the great reviews.

Last edited by dimnslow; 09-29-2006 at 02:15 PM.
Old 09-29-2006 | 02:33 PM
pvanosta
Instructor

dimnslow:
Please let me know the age/mileage of your car and the response you get from Prizm.

Thanks.
Old 09-29-2006 | 02:49 PM
jdk1
Instructor

I'm interested in what Prizm has to say as well.
Old 09-29-2006 | 03:13 PM
dimnslow
Advanced

Definitely.

I have a 2000 996 Carrera 2 with 38K on the odometer. Still waiting for response from Prizm

Old 09-29-2006 | 04:18 PM
RAC
Racer

I don't think AA AutoWarranty is a bad company. You just need to do your homework. The guy I dealt with was very knowledgeable and went to great lengths to explain the contracts to me. He offered the same thing my local dealer offered but at more then half the cost. There are so many factors that play into this you just need to do a lot of reading of the different contracts. Due to the mileage of my car I could not get into exclusionary warranty type coverage from them.
Old 10-03-2006 | 03:23 AM
dimnslow
Advanced

Does anyone know why warrantydirect will only accept 01+ 911 for warranty? Something risky about 99-00 I show know about? :-)
Old 10-03-2006 | 06:56 AM
fast1
Race Car

I previously mentioned that I purchased an after market warranty that was recommended by the dealer. I took my car in for *minor* repairs that included tightening up some loose rattle points and fixing the passenger seat electric motor. Turns out there was an engine oil leak that needed fixing as well (not RMS luckily).

I picked up the car today, and the total repair cost was $2300+.

Man, I'd love to repair Porsches at those prices. I'm betting that these warranty companies have negotiated prices for repairs that's substantially lower than what they show on the repair bill.
Old 10-03-2006 | 11:29 AM
RAC
Racer

Originally Posted by dimnslow
Does anyone know why warrantydirect will only accept 01+ 911 for warranty? Something risky about 99-00 I show know about? :-)

more likely due to age and miles.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Warranty - Follow up post