996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Where to drive in NY or CT for maximum fun

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2002 | 08:34 PM
sawmilldriver
Instructor

Post Where to drive in NY or CT for maximum fun

OK, this may be like asking how long is a piece of string, but on Monday I have the day off work and I want to put 300-400 miles on my car, now a month old and still only 900 miles on the clock. I live in Greenwich, right on the border with Westchester, NY.

Anybody in the region have any favorite places to drive, preferably with some twisties and places where I can get the speed up. I was thinking of heading up the Taconic and crossing over to the Catskills near Hunter Mountain, but I am open to all suggestions where you would go for a drive in your Porsche. Please let me know.
Old 10-09-2002 | 09:00 PM
Skytop
Racer

Sawmill:
Of course the Taconic State Pkwy is a sure winner. However, you can go over to 684 heading up to Danbury and then take Rt 7 North. Take 7 all the way up to the falls for a breather. Lots of incredible sweepers out in the country. Lots of small towns probably selling freshly pressed apple cider this time of year. If you want, you can continue up to Sharon, CT and you can stop off at Limerock race track. The roads are smooth and curvey without traffic. Beautiful area and iconic little New England towns. I'm certain you will find some great little character restaurants as well. Mind you, all this beauty and superior driving roads are only 2-3 hours outside of NY etro area. Enjoy! Let us know where you ultimately went!
Old 10-10-2002 | 09:36 AM
privates8
Addict
Rennlist Member

Sawmilldriver,

I certainly agree with the two ideas put forth so far, but add a couple of editorial notes. Skytop certainly describes a nice route, but it should be noted that 684 is generally well patrolled by NY State Troopers that hide between exit 4 and 6. They do not seem to use radar. There are great stretches to get the car up to speed and back down again quickly in other sections( and the whole road was repaved within the past year). Also, once you get onto Route 7, while the scenery is beautiful and the roads twisty enough when you get well North of Danbury, it can be congested until you are well North. Also, Route 7 will not allow you to get up to any real speed.

I think that from your location, I would modify the course as follows: Go up 95 to the super 7 which really is great for getting up to speed and take that to the Merritt South to 287E to 684N(with the cautions noted) to 84W to Taconic as per your original scheme. This gives a great combination of both twisties and opportunities to open things up.

Personally, I would even consider either on the Northward or Southward loop(e.g. Taconic up, thruway down) including sections of the NYS Thruway North of Rte 84 for additional opportunities to accelerate.

I hope that the weather cooperates for maximal enjoyment.

Steve
'97 993tt
Old 10-10-2002 | 10:51 PM
Skytop
Racer

Smile

Sawmill:
Just to whet your appetite, out here in the wild west, you can always test your mettle by trying out one of the most severe and outrageous roads I have ever come across. It is Rt. 666 here in Arizona; commonly known as the route of the Devil. It passes through a piece of the Apache nation mountain reservation area. It is about 130 miles long, with NO traffic lights, no gas stations, no stores, no restaurants, no (that I know of) cops, straight-aways where you can easily reach maximum TT velocity, switchbacks on unguarded cliffs that will wear your arms down to a frazzle as you negotiate flip backs, high speed and ultra low speed curves seemingly without end, views to die for and practically zero traffic! You will go from high desert plains up through virgin forests clinging to scenic mountain ridge lines offering views into New Mexico to the west and Mexico to the south. You will continue to descend into open lush valleys of mild hills and horizons that seemingly go on forever and then back up for another go around! You will work up a good sweat and a day of broad smiles completing this excursion! Just remember to have a full load of fuel and cool water to drink when you begin this passage.
How's that for a tantalizing adventure! And get this; everything I say doesn't even begin to describe or approach how wild, expansive and sweeping this route really is! There is simply nothing like it back east.
Old 10-11-2002 | 12:12 AM
privates8
Addict
Rennlist Member

Skytop,

Wow!
You paint a great picture!
Driving here in the Northeast will always pale in comparison. So much so, in fact, that your description is almost cruel to those of us so far removed!

Steve
'97 993tt
Old 10-11-2002 | 08:12 AM
sawmilldriver
Instructor

Thanks for the advice guys,

Skytop I love that part of the world although I have never had the chance to do a drive like you describe. I wonder if roadside assistance makes it out there!

It should be my next vacation for sure!
Old 10-11-2002 | 08:34 PM
Alan A
Burning Brakes

If you go up the Taconic, be careful. A lot of the cops have instant on up there now. You might find some of the roads around Rhinebeck are fun. There is a short stretch by the aerodrome that is i\one of my favourites - just watch out for the dip the first time through...
Old 10-12-2002 | 02:23 AM
Skytop
Racer

Talking

Sawmill...

Roadside assistance? /Out in Arizona?

HA HA HA HA HA HA !!!

Quick Reply: Where to drive in NY or CT for maximum fun