Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Do points transfer to all states or only certain ones?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2002, 03:13 PM
SICAONE
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Do points transfer to all states or only certain ones?

I was curious because I got a ticket in Chicago a few months back. I still haven't payed it yet, but will the points transfer to New York? Is there anyway to check which states transfer? I remember my pops telling me that he once got a ticket in Hawaii and they wouldn't let him leave the state until his father wired him the money to pay for the ticket. I assume that was because the information didn't transfer.
Old 10-09-2002, 04:20 PM
FixedWing
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There are two issues:

1) does the state where you have your license count points for tickets received in other states?
2) will your home state suspend your license at the request of the other state for non-payment of a ticket?

On the first, it is simply a matter of state law and practice. Many states do count out-of-state tickets for purposes of points. Some do not. You'll just have to check with your local MVD to see their practice.

On the second, the vast majority of USA states have an agreement whereby they agree to suspend the driver's license of someone who hasn't paid an out-of-state ticket. I think Hawaii is one of the exceptions. Actually this is a good thing as it means that you aren't going to get locked up until the ticket is paid.

I think you are at risk of having your license suspended but I do believe that there is a relatively short period of time after the ticket in which the foreign state can ask to have your license suspended (6 months maybe?). On of the games some people play is to stretch out the resolution of the ticket until after this period by constantly delaying, asking for trials, etc. (not that I've ever done that myself...).

Make sure your address is up to date with MVD. Last thing you want is to be stopped one dark Friday night to find that your license has been under suspension for the last two years. Lots of people end up spending a weekend in jail this way.

And of course, you are always going to be subject to arrest in the state where you got the ticket for non-appearance.

S.

Quick Reply: Do points transfer to all states or only certain ones?