Sponsored by:

1998 911 or 2003 Boxster?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2006, 10:16 PM
hokoyo
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1998 911 or 2003 Boxster?

Gudday people, great forum, been lurking for a while so her goes with a post, i have done a seach but could not come up with this question.

I am yet to jump in to the P car but have wanted one for 40 years, here in Australia the new 911 is >$200k and the Boxster S around $130k new with the base boxster $107 k.

I have the opportunity to get a 98 model tiptronic 996 for around 100k (55,000kms), a 2003 Boxster S for 90k (18000 kms) or a new Boxster for 107k. Driven the 911 but not the Boxster yet though will try to on the weekend. The 911 has already taken a 50% depreciation hit and the 03 boxster 30%. Here the Boxsters seem to depreciate a lot faster than the 911’s

Again I will be buying the car to drive as a daily driver and not as a toy.

Enjoyed the 911 but was not entirely convinced with the Tiptronic and think I would defiantly prefer a manual. Would like to take a much longer test drive (not 20 minutes) and preferably without the salesman (though to his credit he was very knowledgable)

With the difference in relative age I am swinging towards the Boxster though the dealer is offering a 1 year warranty with the 911. There again I could also get a new Boxster (not s) for not much more than the 8 year old 911.

I know the answer is drive them all and buy the one you like but wondering if anyone else had suffered this angst so your comments would be appreciated!
Old 05-18-2006, 10:25 PM
djantlive
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you want a manual, do not settle for a tip. Tip is a great automatic but definitely not the same as a manual.

As for 996 vs 986, 996 is much better than 986 in every aspect except perhaps handling. I'd go for a 986S if you are getting a Boxster at all. If you can afford it, get a 996 but wait for a manual.

I have a tip since I'm not a manual guy. I grew up with automatics. However, anyone that drives a manual will be dissapointed with a tip.
Old 05-19-2006, 12:06 PM
perfectlap
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've got a BoxsterS and have driven just about every 996 except for the GT3.

All I can say is Roadsters are Roadsters and Coupes are Coupes.
They are two totally different cars.
Its like considering a M3 vs. X5
You have to decide which you would rather deal with on a daily basis.

This past weekend I spent a very warm and sunny weekend down in Florida in a rented sports coupe. I now have SERIOUS second thoughts about ever owning a coupe and we only get 5 months of top down weather up here in the North East! If I lived in a part of the world where it was warm year round and was allowed onely one car and money were no object; a 996 would be totally out of the question (MAYBE a 996 Cab). But I am in fact considering a 996 for winter use and taking it out of the garage during the summer for autocross and track use (you can get an extra set of tires and wheels in the 911, no room for that in the BoxsterS, a big bonus). For me a roadster with a six speed gear box and a nice set of sticky tires is a driving experience that can't be compared. Many a 996 owner who intially drove Boxsters (or own both) have told me the exact same thing. The history of roadsters in sports car history speaks for itself. They have been some of the most desireable cars ever.

Personally, I think the handling of the BoxsterS (A BIG reasone for buying a Porsche) is as good as any car I have ever driven (still waiting to try the Cayman). There simply is no beating mid engine dynamics. From the from the dash to the front bumper, the Boxster and the 996 are essentially the same car. You'll realize this when you see all of the Boxster part numbers on the front end of the car, they all begin with 996 and not 986. So its like "1/2 a 911". And of course the configuration of the Boxster from behind the seats is what gives the roadster its superior handling. On power I don't think the standard Carrera is that much better. GT3/GT2/Turbo/S different matter entirely. But those cars are not in the same price category at all. Although some Boxsters have been tuned with as much as 3.8 power they are said to be capable of much more power for the excellent chasis on hand. The power game is one you'll never win. You'll always want more. At this weight I think 250 HP is perfect, more than enough to get a novice driver into trouble when the wheel is turned and the revs come up.
With the extra weight of the 996 330 seems like a minimum as well. They're both perfect as is.

As far as looks I've gotten well north.. well I've lost track how many people have complimented the car. With the GT3 seats, GT3 aero package and 5 spoke Carreras its worthy of any car magazine cover.

Depreciation is a big factor as you pointed out and unfortunately Porsche had to build allot of Boxsters to save the company and The Cayenne took Porsche even further into profitability. Now so many Boxsters are coming back from leases that the dealers can't absorb them all and the prices are dropping. A great time to buy the first 'pure' convertible Porsche ever built. As a Boxster owner I'm now looking at getting into a C4S cab strictly because of deprecitation. I'm not a fan of the handling of the pendulus Cab and the C4 has too much oversteer for me but its a trade off, 4 wheel drive would be ideal for winter and the deprecitation of the C4S Cab is enviable indeed.
If you are buying into Porsche now, the superior handling of the Boxster vs. the 996 makes a 2003-2004 BoxsterS an amazing deal. But the smaller quantities of 911's and that all important back seat make the coupe a better deal on resale value by big margin. People say you can't fit anyone in the 911 back seat but believe me ther have been more than a few times I wish I had room for one more passenger. The 996 is just a much more practical car for someone who can afford both. And generally people who can afford this car are also generally at age when they have kids so the Boxster is a no go for a daily driven car.

If you are going to go with the 911 I would have concerns about going with a 1998 on maintenance when the mileage starts heading north. The 03 Boxster is better. Check consumer reports for owner reported problems by model year. If your choice is the 996 i try and find a 2002-2004. The updated front end really is worth the extra price. The nicest looking 911 ever in my opinion. And with the 1993 Boxster concept car interior in the 996, it makes for a perfect match.

And say no to tiptronics.

Anyone got a silver and red C4S Cab for sale?

Last edited by perfectlap; 05-19-2006 at 01:00 PM.
Old 05-19-2006, 04:04 PM
DCP
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are driving it every day and cost is a concern, and if those were the only choices, I would pick the newer car. Some patience might be in order to locate other choices.

Perfectlap is correct that the Boxster handles better. I submit that the 996 is more fun to drive (it's a steering with feet thing). Either is a great car.

I would not buy a Tip unless you want a Tip.

The open or closed car thing, well that is just preference. I drove a ragtop for several years about 20 years ago. That was enough. I don't need another one.

Good luck! The search is half the fun.
Old 05-19-2006, 04:12 PM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by hokoyo
Gudday people, great forum, been lurking for a while so her goes with a post, i have done a seach but could not come up with this question.

I am yet to jump in to the P car but have wanted one for 40 years, here in Australia the new 911 is >$200k and the Boxster S around $130k new with the base boxster $107 k.

I have the opportunity to get a 98 model tiptronic 996 for around 100k (55,000kms), a 2003 Boxster S for 90k (18000 kms) or a new Boxster for 107k. Driven the 911 but not the Boxster yet though will try to on the weekend. The 911 has already taken a 50% depreciation hit and the 03 boxster 30%. Here the Boxsters seem to depreciate a lot faster than the 911’s

Again I will be buying the car to drive as a daily driver and not as a toy.

Enjoyed the 911 but was not entirely convinced with the Tiptronic and think I would defiantly prefer a manual. Would like to take a much longer test drive (not 20 minutes) and preferably without the salesman (though to his credit he was very knowledgable)

With the difference in relative age I am swinging towards the Boxster though the dealer is offering a 1 year warranty with the 911. There again I could also get a new Boxster (not s) for not much more than the 8 year old 911.

I know the answer is drive them all and buy the one you like but wondering if anyone else had suffered this angst so your comments would be appreciated!
Nope never faced this problem. For me the only choice would be a manual 911 (996 or 997) Coupe.

One key item is where in Australia do you live? The weather may play an important part in which model you get anyway.
I would not get a Rag top if you were living in Alice Springs for instance. I know I used to live there.
Ciao,
Adrian.
Old 05-19-2006, 04:23 PM
Frank Courts
Intermediate

Default Both are GREAT!

I own a 2001 Boxster and a '04 C2. Two great cars! The handling and nice day driving of the roadster is awesome. The power and the comfort of the 996 is in a different class. For an everyday car I would take the 996. Quieter, faster, and comfy. A more unique car in my part of the world.
Old 05-19-2006, 07:20 PM
Sids911
Instructor

Don't even consider the automatic if your heart is set on a manual transmission. Think of what would make you more happy.
Old 05-19-2006, 07:39 PM
hokoyo
AutoX

Thanks everyone for your well considered replies, especially perfectlap, you have given me a lot more issues to mull over!

I am going to try and test drive the Boxster this afternoon (6:40am now) so will let you know my thoughts
Old 05-20-2006, 07:24 AM
hokoyo
AutoX

Took the boxster for a 20 minute ride up the coast with the top down, very nice car, manual gearbox great, sound awesome. It is silver in colour with grey leather upholstery. Could not give it a blast as the roads were crowded and there were cops everywhere. Stange that the Boxster draws a lot of attention! It is not optioned up, has carbon door sills and 17" wheels.

Couple of things i did not like was that there did not appear to be enough leg room (6' tall) and my right foot (accelerator) was not that comfy. Hmmm think i will have to take another drive and play around with the seat a bit more. I have driven a 350 slk and did not have this problem. Also the interior switch gear was a bit cheap and plasticy and i wish it had an ipod connection!

How does everyone find judging the front and back of the car as you cannot see either? Again i suppose you would get used to the size of the car, if not would collect some parking dents.

Another thing is at my age you tend to look like a ******** driving a roadster with the top down with your hair hole glinting in the sun, hence i wasoriginally looking for a coupe!

Anyway will look up the service record of the car on Monday with the local dealer.

And maybe will take it for another drive tomorrow!

I suppose i should be posting this in the Boxster Forum!
Old 05-20-2006, 10:29 AM
marlinspike
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 40 Posts

hokoyo, you don't look like a ******** in a roadster being bald, you only look like a ******** if you are bald, in a roadster, AND wearing a baseball cap. I would honestly get the 03 Boxster. Did you try putting the seat not just all the way back but also all the way down? I'm 6' 3" and that's what I have to do when I drive my dad's 996.
Old 05-20-2006, 03:28 PM
Realist D.
Instructor

hokoyo, the depreciation on that 996 does not seem right - it's consumed 50% of it's original value in 8 years. I think it should be more like 65% or 70% of value. That car is way past half of its most useful and enjoyable life and the people who enjoyed it only paid for half - you will pay the rest but not get the same enjoyment.

Companies that were writing leases on those cars in 1998 would have calculated at least 55% depreciation in the first 4 years - so how did it get back up to only 50% in the next 4 years?

Further, you're talking about a version of the 911 (996) that does not have a glorious record of lasting a long time without trouble (say, compared to a late 80's 911). Given that knowledge and 8-year-old 911 is worth even less.

I own an '02 911 and love it. But I bought it last year at much less than 50% of its original value. If the 911 you are looking at is typically priced for an 8-year-old car in your neck of the woods, you would be much better off buying a new car (even if it's a 987) and then you can be the one that enjoys its best years and then sells it to some sucker in 8 years for 50% of what you paid.

Quick Reply: 1998 911 or 2003 Boxster?