Need HELP with Glacier White Paint

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2002, 09:10 PM
Scott in Cincy
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Need HELP with Glacier White Paint

Gang,
A couple of months ago, I bought a GT3 airdam and sideskirts for my '99 996. With the car being only 4 years old (give or take a few months), I figured it would be an easy match. WRONG!

I paid about 1200 bux to have them painted and put on. The first time, the parts were way too blue and didn't match. After I took it back and told them I wasn't happy with it, they sent the gas tank flap to Sherwin Williams Corporate HQ to have a color match done. The body shop then called me to verify that it was a good match. I took a look and it seemed much closer, so I told them to give it a try.

Well, I picked the car up again, and it's still not right. I don't think I'm being terribly picky. I realize that it's not going to be "perfect," but I do want it closer. It now seems to have too much white in it, and needs a shade or so of yellow. Can anyone lend any expertise or prior experience with this?

Thanks!
Old 10-02-2002, 10:45 PM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 190 Likes on 107 Posts
Your using the wrong body shop. They should be using Spies Hecker products or R-M products.

They should have a spray out of Glacier to compare to the car panels BEFORE they paint anything. Also, the bumper panels are urethane and need special sealants. Then there are flex additives that must be added to the paint for flexibility.

Before they repaint, have the spray out done. Glacier may have slight variations (common) and your car may be slightly off one way or the other.

The spray out if adjusted, will eventually match.

Keep trying.

2022 GT3 Touring
2009 997 Turbo Cab
2018 M2 6sp

Gone but not forgotten
2004 C4S Cabriolet
1999 C2 Cab

Quick Reply: Need HELP with Glacier White Paint