Sponsored by:

Road tax disguised as speeding ticket

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2006, 08:21 PM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 55 Posts
Default Road tax disguised as speeding ticket

This morning I got pulled over on HWY 401 east of the city for going 130km/h on a 100km/h highway. I played nice: pulled over right away, had my license, insurance and registration out before he got out of his car, was polite, etc...
He comes back and hands me a ticket knocked down to 15km/h over the limit, no points involved and $52 fine; so I'm feeling good about that. Until he tells me that he normally wouldn't even pull me over for 30km/h over, but because it was raining (misting really) he felt that I should slow down. He then looks over the car with a smile and tells me to be careful for the next 15 kms since his colleague is working the next section and waves me off.
Anybody else have this sort of thing happen?
Old 05-16-2006, 10:47 PM
yvesatlanta
Racer

Received 52 Likes on 22 Posts

That's what you get when governments give discretionary power to stupid people.
Don't try to analyze. There is no logical explanation.
Old 05-16-2006, 11:23 PM
kilrgt
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Could have been worse. Thats not so bad really, but i agree there is no point.
Old 05-16-2006, 11:26 PM
jury_ca
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Getting a speeding ticket in Ontario is rare compared to British Columbia or the U.S. 30 km/h over is nothing, but I guess he felt that it was a little too quick for conditions.
Old 05-17-2006, 12:31 AM
hokoyo
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You are lucky!

In some states of Australia 3 km/h will get you a ticket
Old 05-17-2006, 07:34 AM
fast1
Race Car

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

In the US revenue derived from moving violations is in the tens of billions, and it has become an important source of revenue for running governments. So anyone who believes that tickets for speeding is simply about law enfircement is being very naive.
Old 05-17-2006, 08:39 AM
Scouser
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fast1
In the US revenue derived from moving violations is in the tens of billions, and it has become an important source of revenue for running governments. So anyone who believes that tickets for speeding is simply about law enfircement is being very naive.
Word for word......this is eactly the case in the UK too (although I guess it would be mor elike millions here rather than billions).

In fact I have a good friend of mine who is a traffic cop. He has told me this is very much the case especially now that individual counties police forces are responsible for their own revenue.

I think you got away with what we call in the UK "a fair cop". The cop here does not infer "police". It means you have been "caught and dealt with fairly".

I was once doing 140mph along the A14 on the way to Cambridge. It was 11:00pm on a Sunday night and the roads were empty. Ahead I saw a car but passed it at speed only to see it was cop car. His lights went on so I pulled over. Here in the UK we get out of our cars when pulled over. Anyway, the cop came up to me and said "Wow! I knew it had to be a Porsche or a Ferrari" I pulled you over beuause I wanted to know what it was that went passed me. After some banter and funny chatting he let me go and just warned me that there was speed cameras ahead. A real cool guy. No ticket. Just a nice guy with an appreciatiation for a nice car on an open road. There are some nice cops out there.

Quick Reply: Road tax disguised as speeding ticket