996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

High performance mods for 996?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2001, 01:30 AM
pig4bill
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I read in a car rag that Porsche used finite element analysis and a buncha other computer stuff to engineer the 996 engine to the gnat's a**. Meaning they squeezed about all that could be aqueezed out of it then built in the durability JUST for that level of power. The car rag said you shouldn't really hotrod it even if you could.
Old 08-30-2001, 03:50 AM
Tabor
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Chris Johnson:
<STRONG>If you are a US citizen or resident alien, there's no legal way you can title and drive a street legal 996 GT3 in the USA.
</STRONG>
Actually. That is not true. US citizens can federalize cars. The US DOT recently decided that if a private citizen wants to bring a car into the US, he only has to meet emmisions requirements. It used to be that you had to also meet rool over, window glass, bumper, etc. requirements.
Old 08-30-2001, 09:37 AM
Karl S
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Tabor Kelly:
<STRONG>

Actually. That is not true. US citizens can federalize cars. The US DOT recently decided that if a private citizen wants to bring a car into the US, he only has to meet emmisions requirements. It used to be that you had to also meet rool over, window glass, bumper, etc. requirements.</STRONG>
However, you can't do this with just any car you want. You have to apply for this exemption and convince DOT that the car is fundamentally different than what is available in the US from the OEM. So far, not many cars have met this criteria and I have heard that PAG is against having the GT3 qualified for an exemption. Without cooperation from the OEM, there is almost no way to get the exemption approved by DOT. Believe me, lots of people have been looking into ways to legally bring GT3 road cars into the US and so far no one has succeeded that I know of.

Karl

Quick Reply: High performance mods for 996?