Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Do I really need PSM? Need to decide soon.

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2001, 11:40 AM
PaulT
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Do I really need PSM? Need to decide soon.

Hi,

I have an opportunity to trade-in my early MY99 to a MY00 w/ Aero Kit.

The car has everyting I want except PSM. I have Traction Control and Differential Lock in my MY99 but have yet to see it kicked in.

I use it as a daily driver. I am in SF so it does rain a bit during Spring. I also plan to go to Driver Ed, Autocrosses, etc.

If I am "properly educated" by driver-ed, do you think I need PSM?

Also, does Tiptronic-S comes with PSM by default? The dealer had a Tiptronic but I am not sure whether I will regret giving up stick-shift. But I am tempted since this allow my wife to enjoy the car as well.

Comments please.

PaulT
Old 08-18-2001, 06:13 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 203 Posts
I say its always a good safety net to have PSM especially if anyone other then yourself is driving the car and you could always switch it off cept for the fact its annoying to see the warning light turn on when its off unless they changed it on the 02 model. I have a 99 996 and if switched off the lite turns on. And rarely does psm is ever engaged so its pretty inobtrusive unless you plan to track the car which you can easily turn off if you need to. In my opinion regarding the tiptronic transmission you may get for your 02 model in terms of trying to sell the car I dont really know how the resale value for it is but I know there are many more people looking for porsches with a manual and the tiptronic simply doesnt give you the control especially on tite turns because there is a definite delay shifting from one gear to another. But you cant deny that daily driving you cant beat an automatic so there are pluses and minuses but I prefer a manual. I taught my wife how to use a manual so she can enjoy the thrill of driving the porsche as well . Hope that helps you to some extent. Congrats on the new 02 model- heard its a better car without the few bugs the 99 had.
Old 08-20-2001, 11:02 AM
Don UK
7th Gear

PSM is not a high cost option (at least here in the UK). I insisted on it on my Boxster S. It only engages with some very enthusiastic prodding of the accelerator whilst cornering hard - but it does work - although I can only vouch for this being the case during the spring/summer/autumn months.

This winter I expect it to lend significant peace-of-mind as I intend to use the car all year round. I have a TVR which has no such computerised aids and this can be a little fraught once there is ice on the roads...
Old 08-20-2001, 11:26 AM
J.W. Pirkle
Track Day

Thumbs up

PSM is a must have in my opinion. You never know when a really hairy curve ball is going to be hurled at you and it's nice to know there is a "saftey net" available to you. I don't know if I would get a tip if you are thinking of selling it at any point in the future. People will walk over ten 'tips' to get to one manual.
Old 08-22-2001, 04:52 AM
Graham
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by J.W. Pirkle:
<STRONG> I don't know if I would get a tip if you are thinking of selling it at any point in the future. People will walk over ten 'tips' to get to one manual.</STRONG>
Hmm, this must be a different Porsche market than the one I was just in ... I had the exact opposite experience when shopping for a Cab. Lot's of manuals but very, very few Tip cars.
Old 08-22-2001, 12:40 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 203 Posts
I do understand with cabs that tips would be a better option since at least for me its a car for cruising not for tracking so that holds true to some extent with people wanting tips on cabs. Also I figure that there are few tips made compared to manuals that its understandable you would see more manuals in a dealership. I f you were implying other then cabs then i stand corrected. thanks
Old 08-22-2001, 03:33 PM
brobbinson
Instructor

The 911 is a car that virtually crys out for manual transmission. If you can drive one (or are willing to learn) it really adds another dimension to the car that's hard to describe. That being said, its better to drive a porsche with triptronic than to not drive one at all.
Old 08-22-2001, 10:42 PM
Graham
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Brian Robbins:
<STRONG>The 911 is a car that virtually crys out for manual transmission. If you can drive one (or are willing to learn) it really adds another dimension to the car that's hard to describe. That being said, its better to drive a porsche with triptronic than to not drive one at all.</STRONG>
In one way I agree - you'll get the most out of the car and have a lot more control. However, I personally would have to replace the shifter completely as the stock version is dead and lifeless in my hands. (Perhaps I'm just a brute shifter? I always have to fit B&M or other short shifters).

On the other hand, Tip is great for those who want an easy life and enjoy the sophistication of the semi-auto manual shifter. A six speed with faster shifts would be better. A sequential-manual would be better still, but then that's 'not invented here'.

Quick Reply: Do I really need PSM? Need to decide soon.