02 "examined" today

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2001, 11:41 AM
ben in lj
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post 02 "examined" today

Here are some of my subjective reactions to the 02 seal grey tip cab with the new 17"s today:

1) Bose is better than previous stock, but probably not as good as HPAS. That said, it was only a radio (not CD) test. Also, there is a pretty
good size sub woofer on the left hand size of the passenger floor board. It's pretty good size and am not sure how much this affects leg room.

2) Engine sound really was not noticably diff although I didn't rev above 4k.

3) Warts in back are NOT that big a deal (less of a big deal than the 01s IMO given the 02s are color matched) in Seal Grey at least. In fact, I
didn't even notice them the first time I looked at the rear. The tips are nice looking (more like the turbo's).

4) Those new 17"s didn't do much for the car. Further, the Contis that go on them also looked a little stupid in that size.

5) Side profile is nice. While VERY subtle diff between 01 and 02, it's nicer (sportier) looking.

6) Rear change also is subtle but nice.

7) Front has turbo fenders to go with turbo lights. It is therefore wider looking in the front. Honestly, I'm not sure I liked the way it looked from the
front with top down. Also, to the untrained eye, it's not that much more diff from the Boxster.

There is add'l radiator in 02 (in the center).

9) The glass window is smaller. It's a little diff looking.

10) Cup holder was better than the 01, but I'm not really into that personally. The glove box was just right.

Sorry I didn't take pics. I also didn't drive it because it was pointless owing to it being a tip. Given mine is a stick, it would have been hard to
adequately compare the low end torque. Further, it was not even PDI'd yet so it probably wouldn't have run like it should and the motor woulda
still be tight.

All in all, without driving it, it's just an 01 which Porsche changed in line with our complaints. Those with 99-01s need not worry that their cars look
like the "old model" or anything which is nice for resale (thank you Porsche). I wouldn't even contemplate moving into an 02 from my 01 if I'd have
ordered it with the right color, sport seats and wheels. I'm kinda on the fence given all those things I want as it is. So, maybe I'll get to drive a 6
spd and see if the low-end torque improvement is enough to sway me.

Quick Reply: 02 "examined" today