Soap & Wax

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2006, 01:54 PM
RUSSCPA
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Soap & Wax

Hi friends,

What type of soap are you using for your regular wash ?

Regarding wax, I received some great testimonials on Mothers Products. What is your opinion?

Thanks

Gary
2004 C2 CAB
Basalt Black/Black
Old 05-14-2006, 02:12 PM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Meguires Gold Class Car Wash.
Old 05-14-2006, 02:42 PM
marlinspike
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 40 Posts

Don't use Meguiars anything. Their cleaners are harsh and their waxes are junk...especially don't use their wheel cleaner unless you like wheels that have had the paint stripped off of them (a class action suit they've lost, but then continue selling the product). There are 2 good washes: P21S gloss enhancing paintwork cleanser and Sonax made one that was good too, came in a clear bottle, was translucent gold in color, the bottle had a red top and a red bottom, and the bottom came off to be used as a measuring cup. The sonax is now impossible to get in the US, so I use the P21S. For wax there are more options that are good, but generally P21S is my recommendation for an indoor parked car and one grand blitz wax for an outdoor car.
Old 05-14-2006, 03:42 PM
jsaindc
Burning Brakes

Received 40 Likes on 12 Posts

P21S car wash and wax.
Old 05-14-2006, 03:58 PM
Larry Harris
Burning Brakes

I just bought a random orbit buffer. Can I expect good results if I use this buffer with P21 as a polish, and then add a couple coats of Zaino. I've never polished my 05.

TIA
Old 05-14-2006, 04:15 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I would suggest you check out the Concours and Car Care forum.
https://rennlist.com/forums/concours-and-car-care-86/

Lots of good information there, a bit easier to go thru than autotopia. If a search doesn't find your answer, then simply post your question.

If you have a specific question, I would send a PM to rennlist user 'Anthony Orosco' in the forum.

In general, do NOT use a dishwashing soap (like Dawn), unless you want to strip the wax off your car (that's what it's mostly used for).
Most wax companies produce car wash shampoo that is safe for waxed surfaces.

There are about as many opinions as products, but in general remember to use LOTS of suds, a naturual wool sea sponge or sheepskin mitt (I like the sponge) and be sure to rinse your wash sponge/mitt often in clean water (not the bottom of the bucket).
FWIW, I use Pinnacle Wax products and Souveran wax (yes, it's $60/jar, but it's very easy to work with, does not leave white residue on trim and does not produce wax dust when being removed).
Zaino products are often discussed as well.
Old 05-14-2006, 04:16 PM
marlinspike
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 40 Posts

No, you can't use P21S with an orbital buffer...IIRC you should use liquid waxes with those. I'm not a big fan of them, since everything good takes time, though the pros do a good enough job with them. The trick is just don't use any pressure and don't be on any one spot for long.
Old 05-14-2006, 04:44 PM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 83 Likes on 62 Posts

I have tried them all...P21S, Rejex, Zymol, NXT...you get the point and while P21S is my favorite carnuba...I have made the switch to Zaino...best of any hands down (although first application takes some time and effort).

BTW do not put Zaino over carnuba of any kind...Zaino is a ploymer and it should be foundational or used with another ploymer. Carnubas may be put on top of polymers...not the other way around.

Last edited by wross996tt; 05-14-2006 at 11:47 PM. Reason: change
Old 05-14-2006, 05:52 PM
amfp
Addict
Rennlist Member

I found Sonax to be the best car wash. Because Sonax can now only purchased in/through Europe, I sometimes use Griots car wash or P21. Like many here, I tried virtually all the waxes, and found P21S, Pinnacle Souveran and Malms excellent for WE/low mileage drivers. For daily drivers, Blitz, and even 3M Show Car paste wax is excellent. More and more beginning to stay with the same family of products rather than mixing brands between washing, polishing, waxing.
Old 05-14-2006, 07:42 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by mo
......excellent for WE/low mileage drivers. For daily drivers......
What exactly is a Porsche 'daily driver'
I agree, Souveran is excellent on 'garage queens and 'weekend cars'.
Old 05-14-2006, 08:20 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,677 Likes on 2,334 Posts

i have used just about everyting.
for soap, if you like suds, griots wash is mild, if you dont like suds, p21S is great.
i do use dawn on jan 1 of every year to STRIP all wax of the car and build it back up. new years ritual for me.
p21S, one grand blitz and soverien are all great waxes.
one grand blitz last the longest. but that doesnt really matter, i wax my cars every other week b/n 1am and 5am, driven or not. i am a little insane ;-)
with p21S products, you dont need orbital (i have one, but i only use it on my wife's ugly car, LOL) i hand wax my own cars hahahaha. you should be able to put on and take off both p21s cleanser and wax on a car the size of 911 in less than 30 min. if you can't do it that fast, well.... eat more and move faster!

by the way, most good wax above have a warm shine to it. zaino has a cold saran wrap type of shine to it. just depend on what you like. zaino does last the longest by far, that's why i dont use it. b/c i love to feel the curves of my cars.
Old 05-14-2006, 08:45 PM
mundman
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't laugh.....Mr Clean spotless car wash system. It really works!
Old 05-14-2006, 09:29 PM
stuart_w
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Zaino for everything. It can be trusted and lasts and lasts. I just use their Z6 product about once a week as a maintenance polish and the car alaways looks like new.
Old 05-15-2006, 02:50 AM
snaproll
Instructor

Zaino. Period.
Old 05-15-2006, 02:56 AM
snaproll
Instructor

Originally Posted by Larry Harris
I just bought a random orbit buffer. Can I expect good results if I use this buffer with P21 as a polish, and then add a couple coats of Zaino. I've never polished my 05.

TIA
Zaino doesn't recommend using their product over others - they'll have you strip the old wax off with a Dawn dishwash soap washing first. I've always been happy with Zaino.

If it were me I'd use one or the other, but not both................

Quick Reply: Soap & Wax