Sponsored by:

Pesky Check Engine Light

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2001, 08:57 AM
J.W. Pirkle
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Pesky Check Engine Light

I don't know if this has been beaten to death yet. My "check engine" light came on today. Is this just a bug in the software or should I high tail it to the dealer? I've heard a few stories concerning the light but never heard what the source for problems might be. I already checked the filler cap and it's tight.
Old 08-08-2001, 10:06 AM
JimB
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
As with all newer cars the 996 check engine light can be set off by an endless list of small problems. Recently I had a loose wire on an O2 sensor set mine off. On early 99s the gas cap seal was another cause. Unless you have the software to check the codes yourself, I don't think you have any choice but to have it checked out by the dealer.
Old 08-08-2001, 10:09 AM
hiep
5th Gear

I have the same problem with check engine light after installing high flow CAT from Phoenix (Champions Porsche). The local dealer checked it out but couldnot find anything wrong with the engine except the CAT is not approved by Porsche...
Anyone on the board knows how to remove the check engine light except removing the bulb itself??????
Old 08-09-2001, 11:20 PM
J.W. Pirkle
Track Day

Talking

Thanks for you help and info. I took it to the local dealer today and they acted like they had never heard of this happening. Took it behind the wall and sorted it all out. Still don't know what caused it. A good experience all in all though, the dealer was great about getting it in without any prior appointment.
Old 08-13-2001, 05:51 PM
brobbinson
Instructor

As noted in one of the earlier replies to your post, a common cause of this problem (albeit not the only possible cause) is the failure to completely close the gas cap after filling up at the gas station. Make sure that you turn (or if full service, the attendant turns) the gas cap completely after filling up and you hear several clicks. Once the light comes on, it takes a trip to the dealer to get it off.
Old 08-20-2001, 06:05 PM
Speed
Pro

I've been getting a check engine light on my 1999 996 most often when the gas pump doesn't have a good seal. I've found that the light goes off after a few days so I don't bother to go to the dealer every time it happens

Quick Reply: Pesky Check Engine Light