Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Considering going to my local euro mechanic instead of dealer, any opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2006, 07:43 PM
delirium
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Considering going to my local euro mechanic instead of dealer, any opinions?

My local European car mechanic is much cheaper than the local dealer. I am still under warranty, which concerns me as the dealer warned me that if I have a warranty issue, they have deniability if there has been work done at a non dealer facility... what should I do? We are talking 60 + % savings..

The independent mechanic is pretty good, as I have gone to him w/ my BMW for many years, its a old dirty looking shop, but they work on a lot of nice cars, porsches, BMW, MB, etc... nothing exotic tho..

what to do?
Old 05-09-2006, 07:53 PM
kilrgt
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I would only go to your dealer as the car is still under warranty,Lets look at it like this lets say you have a problem like a blown motor, well Your dealer can step up to the plate for you and fight PCN if there is any issues. You need to build a good relationship with your dealer.With no history with the dealer why would they fight for you? You spent the money for the car now pay the porsche price for service.We all want to save money and i am all for that, but the old saying goes " Pay me now or Pay me more later. As long as its covered by porsche I wouldn't take it anywhere else for regular maintanace or service. Once the warranty runs out, go to a local indy that you can trust.
Old 05-10-2006, 01:27 AM
delirium
Racer

That is true, but do these prices sound high?

$285 for brake fluid flush

$600 for annnual inspection + Oil change (car is way under mileage so it needs annual maintenance for now)

$300 for an oil change alone

$150 for door lock programming
Old 05-10-2006, 01:35 AM
marlinspike
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 40 Posts

IIRC my dad had oil/filter, brake fluid, and clutch fluid done for $330 at a dealer.
Old 05-10-2006, 01:51 AM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts

Ridiculous quotes! I suggest you try another dealer. My dealer in San Diego charge:

$ 120 for brake flush
$ 109 for annual inspection
$ 220 for oil change alone

I let them do brake flush (messy and need to dispose waste) and annual inspection (to get the stamp in the warranty book) and do the oil change myself (a filter wrench and couple of 2 by 4's and no jacking necessary!). Oil change is $20 filter/plug seal + $60 Mobil 1.

- Ahsai
Old 05-10-2006, 06:00 PM
delirium
Racer

what does the annual inspection include? At this dealer it inclues an oil change, inspection of belts, topping off all fluids and update any necessary software for the engine etc...

Which dealer in SD is the one you go to Ahsai?
Old 05-10-2006, 06:05 PM
rcg412
Rennlist Member

Received 122 Likes on 81 Posts

I take my car almost exclusively to a Porsche Independent. Just prefer it. However my guy only does Porsche, and has for ~30 years. Might want to find someone that is Porsche only?

Quick Reply: Considering going to my local euro mechanic instead of dealer, any opinions?