Sponsored by:

low mass flywheel

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2001, 11:55 PM
Marco Polo
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post low mass flywheel

I spoke briefly today with Todd Zuccone, and he mentioned that Evo offers a low-mass flywheel. Have any of you tried a lm flywheel? Impressions? I have had very good experiences with Evo products, but this would be the first to go into such a critical application. Any comments about sources for the flywheel? Thanks.
Old 07-17-2001, 03:30 PM
hubec
AutoX

Wink

Are you aware that the 996 has a dual mass flywheel? Do you know if this lighter flywheel is also dual mass? If it isn't it will likely play havoc with the engine's knock sensors. I'd be very carefull, find a good Porsche mechanic with some time on his hands (i.e. not your dealer's mechanic when there are 20 other customers waiting) and speak to him about it.
Old 07-18-2001, 02:17 AM
Robert 01' 996 Cab
Intermediate

IMHO, a low mass flywheel is a terrible idea in a 996. The only advantage of a low mass flywheel is that the engine spools up faster. The expense is that it will have a less stable idle and the revs will drop just as fast as they will rise so quick shifts are a must. The worst part would be that if you think it's easy to stall and hard to get good starts now... wait till you get a low mass flywheel. You will stall the car more often and your starts will be terrible. Ever see how many GT3 supercup cars stall on the line.... now you know why.
Old 07-20-2001, 06:36 PM
Karl S
Burning Brakes

If you track the car, going to a lighter fly wheel will also make your heel-toe downshifts much more critical. The fact that the rpms drop off faster make it harder to match the revs on a downshift.

Karl

Quick Reply: low mass flywheel