Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Is it possible to "polish" the windscreen?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2003, 04:01 AM
Case
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Is it possible to "polish" the windscreen?

Hi!

My windscreen starts to become "milky" due to the sand and little stones you come along at 150+ mph. I guess I will have to replace ist soon - or is it possible to "polish" the small chips out of the glass?
Old 03-22-2003, 09:20 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I'm not sure (and I'd rather changed the whiole thing) but last time my wife's car was in detailing (I don't bother to mess up with that car, my energy goes to my Porsche!) I noticed that the detail guys had accidentally 'polished' part of the windscreen and must say, it looks better. I don't know for how long though...
Old 03-22-2003, 01:47 PM
Jim Michaels
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
My guess is that polishing is likely to yield optical distortion because it would be nearly impossible to take the windshield down by exaclty the same amount all over. The widely accepted solution seems to be to replace the glass when the pitting is more than you want to endure any longer.
Old 03-22-2003, 05:03 PM
Keyvan
Racer

I work in a glass factory and the only way to polish glass is with industrial acids which basically means you can't. It would cost more to polish it then to replace the glass, plus it's really dangerous.

There are some clear pastes you can use to fill stone chipped glass but it's not very effective because you can still see the chip.

If you want to get rid of the milky haze get a clean sponge/cloth and soak it in vinegar then scrub the glass with a good deal of force. Use water to rinse and dry. Make sure you don't get any on the body of the car.
Old 03-24-2003, 02:41 AM
Case
Intermediate

Thumbs up

Thank you all!

I will try the vinegar thing. If it doesn't work, I will order a new windscreen with the next set oy tires.
Old 03-24-2003, 05:06 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts
You can use regular old toothpaste to polish out the minor scratches and milkyness.
Old 03-24-2003, 06:10 PM
Speed
Pro

Last year I scratched the glass rear window on my '02 cab and tried everything--toothpaste, jewler's paste, and a special product given to me by a glass guy-- and used a high speed buffer, and nothing came out. I wound up replacing the window

Quick Reply: Is it possible to "polish" the windscreen?