Sponsored by:

5-point vs. 6-point harnesses

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2003, 08:21 AM
FixedWing
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post 5-point vs. 6-point harnesses

We've recently been discussing 5-point vs. 6-point racing harnesses on the Ringers list. Some interesting and new ideas came up there so I thought it might be useful to bring the topic to this list given that so many here are fitting these harnesses.

especially intereting is this link:

<a href="http://www.opentracking.com/5_pts_vs_6_pts.htm" target="_blank">http://www.opentracking.com/5_pts_vs_6_pts.htm</a>

The conclusion is that 5-point harnesses should not be used.

But pay special attention to the mounting instructions for the sub belts in paragraph 4. This is NOT the way people currently do it. Acccoding to this, you must mount the sub belts back and then sit on them so that you wear them like you would a parachute or rock climbing harness.

Curious to hear other's comments.

Stephen
Old 03-21-2003, 09:53 AM
Patrick
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist
Member - times 3

Received 230 Likes on 140 Posts
The discussion of the purpose of the anti-sub strap is interesting. I always thought it was to keep the lap belt in its proper position. The instructions for my Schroths say specifically not to anchor the anti-sub strap to the rear, and also not to run it over the front of the seat as well.
Old 03-21-2003, 11:15 AM
Mr Michael B

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts
If I recall correctly, some (maybe all) PCA regions require the 6 point set up now (even for DE's) over the single sub strap 5 point system. For the reasons outlined above I am sure.
Old 03-23-2003, 01:09 AM
Kerry
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm very glad to see this post. I spent the past few months getting as much information as I could on how to install a harness system in my car with stock seats. Got a lot of conflicting advice. I was just about to take the advice of most of the install shops, people with race experience who should know better, and run the sub belts over the front of the seat to the seat mounting bolts. Luckily I ordered my Brey-Krause harness mount bar, hardware and Schroth belts from John Ruther at Northstar; he set me straight and explained why you must mount the sub belts back to the lap belt mounting points. Again, this is for stock seats.

I don't think any of the seat belt manufacturing companies have tested their 6pt. harnesses with OEM seats. They want the sub belts mounted through the (racing) seat bottom slot to a point on the floor no more than 20deg in front or behind the belt buckle. So we are not going to get any information on this subject from the harness companies; this is outside their recommended use of the harness.

I have a question about the Brey-Krause setup. I've installed the BK R-1030 harness mount bar, the R-9003 outside seat belt mount kit and the R-9001 tunnel side seat belt mount kit. I'm connecting the sub belt and the lap belts to these mount kits. The R-9003 outside mount has an opening large enough for both belt clips to fit and move freely. The R-9001 tunnel side mount opening is barely large enough for two clips. They are wedged tightly together so the seat belt mount clips cannot move freely to be in line with the belts. This makes me very nervous. Every seat belt mount I have seen is designed to let the mount move and follow the way the belt is pulling. Does anyone else use the BK hardware and does this setup bother you?

Quick Reply: 5-point vs. 6-point harnesses