996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Rectangular Shape oil/fluid leak?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2006, 06:55 PM
jlb532
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rectangular Shape oil/fluid leak?

This sounds crazy...and I'm not entirely sure my garage floor didn't have these marks previously (although it seems I would have noticed).

Upon taking my daily glance at the ground under the engine...I noticed several large (2 in by 3 inch) hollow rectangles of dried/drying fluid. By hollow I mean there is a rectangular shape approx 2x3 inches, with the border about 1/2 inch wide. These are located under what would be the front portion of the engine, dead center.

I'm not familiar with the components down there, but can anyone who is tell me if there's anything in that shape which oil or steering fluid or anything might fall off from?

It seems crazy that it could take such a perfect shape...rather than just a spot or droplet.
Hopefully these are from something else, but wanted to get thoughts.

Thanks
Old 05-02-2006, 07:01 PM
woody-77
Racer

Spooooky.....

Can you see any fluids on the bottom of your engine over the crazy rectangular stains?
Old 05-02-2006, 07:04 PM
marlinspike
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 40 Posts

Rub your finger in it, does it have any color? A smell that reminds you of something? Does it feel more thick or more thin?
Old 05-02-2006, 07:14 PM
jlb532
Instructor

My first instinct was to try both of those suggestions...can't really see anything in that shape from the angle I have under the car. And regarding smell...it might have a faint oil smell to it, but very faint.

Hopefully, it's just my mind (or my wife!) playing tricks on me. That would be a pretty nasty thing to do...but she knows how watchful I am with the car.
Just wondered if anyone has ever heard of anything like it before. If not...then I'll probably just forget about it and monitor it going forward. (in less 'biased' parking places)
Old 05-02-2006, 07:34 PM
marlinspike
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 40 Posts

Well, and this is just a guess since I not only don't know where the tranny fluid pan is in a porsche, but I don't even know if you have a tiptronic or a stick shift, but tranny fluid pans tend to warp easy, especially if someone just serviced it, and I suppose that could theoretically make the seal fail all the way around, and car it to drip down in the shape of the pan...either that or you have entered the twilight zone (actually, the concept of a tranny pan leaking that way might even be stronger proof that you're in the twilight zone).
Old 05-02-2006, 09:33 PM
jlb532
Instructor

Thanks Marlinspike, I'll let you know what turns up
Old 05-03-2006, 08:21 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Man, first "crop circles," now "oil rectangles!" Damn aliens!

Seriously, can you post a pic or two of the residue? The shape sounds wierd, (unusual dosen't quite cover it). Have you recently re-oiled the air filter in your lawn mover, or anything like that? Keep us posted if you determine the cause.

Trending Topics

Old 05-03-2006, 05:26 PM
jlb532
Instructor

Okay, well it isn't doing it any more (no fresh marks today)...so whatever it was, I'll just hope it was in fact left by aliens rather than the engine.
Old 05-04-2006, 02:57 AM
Armando Ramirez
Instructor

2x3 inches..Hmmmmmm shape of the bottom of a plastic oil bottle?
Maybe you put a bottle on the ground and did not remember doing it?

Quick Reply: Rectangular Shape oil/fluid leak?