Sponsored by:

Change Polarity on 3rd Brake Light on Lid

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2006, 11:50 AM
Kims996Cab
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dharn55
I bought two smoked brake lights from Carnewal. Installed both, one fixed and one on spoiler, both work fine with no change in polarity.
My spoiler brake light plug had the correct polarity, but the directions that came with the smoked light had a warning that installation may require a reversal of polarity in the either the wires or the socket. My impression is that wiring to the spoiler brake light socket (and maybe the trunk mounted one, also) is random in the factory harness .... since its does not matter to incandescent bulbs.

Hence the heads up for a possible swap in Sharky's instructions.
Old 04-29-2006, 02:02 PM
kevinrubin
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks again for all of the feedback. Anyone have more info on the cruise control not working? That is a bad consequence.

Further, Is it really as simply as pulling the pins out of the LED light (for the lid) and swaping them? That wouldn't seem to change the current flow, but rather just the pin. Is the only real solution to splice the wires and switch them?

Anyone have a link to some pictures of DIY?
Old 04-29-2006, 03:02 PM
Kims996Cab
Racer

Originally Posted by kevinrubin
.... Is it really as simply as pulling the pins out of the LED light (for the lid) and swaping them? That wouldn't seem to change the current flow, but rather just the pin. Is the only real solution to splice the wires and switch them?
In Direct Current, flow is always one-way .... negative to positive, I believe. Many DC components, especially lights, do not care which way it come through them .... as long as it passes through.

As your situation stands, your car has the current flow going in the wrong direction for the diode portion of the Light Emitting Diodes that you are using to replace the plain light bulb. A diode is a one way check valve for DC current. If you feed DC backwards through a normal light bulb ... no big deal. If you feed it backwards through a diode, it will not pass through. Stops. Dead .... just as if you cut one of the wires.

By switching the pins in the brake light connector, you remedy this wrong direction flow by changing the terminals of the positive and negative leads. Now the current is going the proper direction to pass through the diode. The same thing can be accomplished by cutting and cross-connecting the wires between the connector and the LED brake light (but don't do both methods, or you'll be right back where you started).
Old 04-29-2006, 10:40 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 84 Likes on 38 Posts

hey guys sorry I've been away at a show.. Just wanted to make sure this got taken care of. It's pretty fidly but all that needs to be done is to change the two pins on the connector/harness around (swap em). It's fiddly and be gentle!
Old 04-29-2006, 10:43 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Thanks again for all of the feedback. Anyone have more info on the cruise control not working? That is a bad consequence.

Further, Is it really as simply as pulling the pins out of the LED light (for the lid) and swaping them? That wouldn't seem to change the current flow, but rather just the pin. Is the only real solution to splice the wires and switch them?

Anyone have a link to some pictures of DIY?
I've heard of the cruise control not working after a flash (because of mismatched software) before but otherwise it's pretty rare. The wiring harness is seperate for those

Either way, I usually just sell the ones that are plug and play. The one that goes in the wing is a bit fiddly having to change the polarity of the pins and hence I try not to sell those unless we do it here... I think that one was "free" so you can keep it any case as an extra or if you do try to swap the pins just be gentle..
Old 04-30-2006, 12:36 AM
kevinrubin
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks Alex. I can't thank you enough for all your help. Hope you had a great time at the show!!!
Old 04-30-2006, 02:00 AM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Thanks Alex. I can't thank you enough for all your help. Hope you had a great time at the show!!!
Heya Kevin, seriously my pleasure! It was pretty crazy.. there was a LOT of HP out there and more to come as a result. I didn't even have my car there. Probably a good thing since all of the Lambo and Ferrari guys would have been upset with my car setting off their car alarms anyways...
Old 04-30-2006, 07:56 AM
toddel68
Instructor

Originally Posted by wwest
Be aware that if you change all brake lights to leds as I did your cruise control will not work. I had to add a load resistor in parallel with the brake leds.
When I installed my LED brake lights I only had to swap cables on the spoiler. Nevertheless I had no issues with cruise control thereafter.

Thorsten

Quick Reply: Change Polarity on 3rd Brake Light on Lid