Sponsored by:

Window doesn't go down when open/shuting door

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2012, 02:38 AM
zeeeeeee
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sjfehr
I have the same problem on my passenger door and posted about it last year, but ended up just living with it because I've been too lazy to troubleshoot further, lol... If you open it up, take photos- if you're lucky, it's just a bit of play in a bushing and you can reinforce it to fix the issue. Otherwise, you need to buy a new window regulator. Please let me know how it goes; I've got the next week off and you may inspire me to actually get around to fixing this.

If you do need to replace it, I believe the Part# is 996-542-075-04 (left) and 996-542-076-04 (right).

I talked to my Porsche Tech and he said it is the window regulator. Total cost to fix with labor and OEM part = $350
Old 03-21-2013, 07:12 PM
wongster
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by vic33004
no squeeking on this one and pushing down manually does not budge the window. leading up to this, the window did it a couple times and restarting the motor cleared it up but no such luck this time.

i'm questioning if i should be going after the dash switch or the door as i'm not sure how the power for this is routed.

its odd that it is both the 1/2" drop as well as the whole range of lowering the window that is out.
So what worked for you?
I have the same problem. It's stuck all the way up. I heard a clicking sound when I press the button up, but nothing when I press down. The window won<t go down if I try to move it manually or by pressing down.

What do I need to do?

Thanks
Old 10-15-2013, 06:19 PM
bzliteyear
Racer

hi guys,
glad i found this thread, but two questions:
1) i'm still confused when it's the window "regulator" vs. the "micro-switch" - isn't there a way to tell?
2) many here quoting $350 range, for labor and OEM parts...my indep quoting $600...are SF prices that much higher?
thx in advance.
Patrick
03 C4S
Old 10-15-2013, 06:48 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by bzliteyear
hi guys,
1) i'm still confused when it's the window "regulator" vs. the "micro-switch" - isn't there a way to tell?
2) many here quoting $350 range, for labor and OEM parts...my indep quoting $600...are SF prices that much higher?
thx in advance.
Patrick
03 C4S
All I can offer is when the passenger window failed to drop when opening the door of my Boxster or dropped but went back up again after the door was open and the handle (either handle) was released the tech diagnosed the problem as the door latch assembly. Oh, there were some inexplicable door locking going on or the alarm module alarming like something was open but not all the time, too. Around $600 for parts/labor. The door latch assembly is a big assembly and expensive. Anyhow, not SF prices but bay area prices. (Livermore Porsche dealer.)

When the driver's side window failed to drop when I used the outside door handle but dropped when I used the inside door handle the tech found the door handle switch bad.

When the driver's side window failed to drop enough when the door handle was opened, the tech removed the door panel and found the regulator worn out. He said it fell apart as he removed it to replace it with a new one.
Old 10-15-2013, 06:58 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Received 135 Likes on 71 Posts

hi guys,
thx in advance.
Patrick
03 C4S
Window regulator typically has a grinding noise associated with it, plus if you push on the top of the window you'll be able to push it down a little. That doesn't happen with the microswitch.
Old 10-15-2013, 09:01 PM
bzliteyear
Racer

thx guys for quick response.
will the micro-switch be any less than window reg?
my indep said both/either one are $600 installed - does that sound right?
Patrick
03 C4S
Old 10-15-2013, 10:26 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Received 135 Likes on 71 Posts

thx guys for quick response.
will the micro-switch be any less than window reg?
my indep said both/either one are $600 installed - does that sound right?
Patrick
03 C4S

I've had the regulator done and that sounds about right - less if you buy the part on Pelican and do it yourself. I can't speak for the microswitch.
Old 10-16-2013, 11:27 AM
DaveCarrera4
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I seem to remember some sort of activity that one goes through to reset the lowering and raising function with door operation....cannot remember the exact sequence. Seems it involved lowering the window a bit, then raising it tight while holding the window rocker switch down (or raised position) some seconds.
Old 10-16-2013, 03:52 PM
PelicanParts.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 31 Likes on 17 Posts

If you're considering DIY on this, here are some helpful steps when determining if your regulator has failed: 996 Window Regulator Replacement

Also, a self-test once the door panel is removed:
With the regulator detached from the door frame and the window, you should test the motor. With your hands out of the way of the motor, carefully press lightly on the window switch and see if the motor moves properly. If the motor doesn’t move at all, then it probably is worn out, assuming that you’ve checked the window switch (check the voltage to the motor when you press the window switch to see if it’s getting 12V).

Mark/Pelican Parts
888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 09-13-2014, 11:45 PM
Carpyourdiem
Track Day

Default Window Drop Fix

My '03 has low miles and few door openings so I was "unhappy" when the driver's window quit dropping with either handle. The window went up and down quietly and smoothly with the switch, and when the handle was pulled you could hear a small motor trying to do something. No window movement.

I studied this thread and then pulled my door panel, airbag and foam liner off. Went well, but be careful of a small plastic locating tab at the top of the c-shaped door-pull cover that is just dying to snap off.

Then made the mistake of reconnecting my battery and testing everything with the panel off. Mistake because now my airbag light is on...shoulda read the threads on that subject before starting work! Sigh...anyone in Vegas with a reset tool, PM me please...don't force me to have a dealer touch my car!!

But...the testing sans door panel showed a lot of slack in the cable located in the lower right side of the door. After messing around with it, I inserted a plastic washer to space the stock plastic cable locator, pushing it back about 1/8", making the cable tighter. Worked. Spaced it a bit more (one more thin plastic washer than is shown in my blurry photo) and it worked perfectly.

If you pop the green locator out of its housing you can cut a thin slit in the spacers, slide them over the cable and then up onto the locator. Also, you can leave the airbag and most of the foam liner in place, just peel up the lower right corner and bottom.

So, if your symptoms match mine, perhaps this might help...Nick
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Window doesn't go down when open/shuting door