Sponsored by:

Window doesn't go down when open/shuting door

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 05:02 PM
Tom M
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by vic33004
no squeeking on this one and pushing down manually does not budge the window. leading up to this, the window did it a couple times and restarting the motor cleared it up but no such luck this time.

i'm questioning if i should be going after the dash switch or the door as i'm not sure how the power for this is routed.

its odd that it is both the 1/2" drop as well as the whole range of lowering the window that is out.
Based on this description it sounds like the cable has jumped the track.

When mine failed I could get it to move a couple of times but it finally stopped moving altogether and wouldn't budge when push. In my case it got stuck halfway down.
Old 02-10-2011, 05:25 PM
vic33004
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok, got the door panel off and checked the cable and it appears that it has not come off the rollers. with the panel off i can hear the relay in the door operating in both directions from the arm rest switch. i've pulled the head of the window motor off and can turn the motor manually and it does allow the window to come down. either i'm not getting power to the motor from a relay somewhere or the motor itself is not responding to the power.

any ideas on how to validate this before heading to the parts counter?

Last edited by vic33004; 02-10-2011 at 05:49 PM.
Old 11-20-2011, 03:37 PM
kpl
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

my window started acting up and from this:
For what it's worth, I have the same problem as well. The owner of the shop fixing the issue told me that you can figure out the cause by trying to push the window down with your hand. If it drops, the regulator needs to be replaced. If not, he told me it is likely the microswitch.
it sounds like my issue. With the window up, and I open the door, the window does not dip. To close the door I can push the window down a bit, and once the door is closed the window will go up automatically as it should. When raising and lowering the window via the console switch, I hear a odd faint sound, sorta a squeak, that wasn't there before. I'll pull off the door panel and see what's up.
Old 11-21-2011, 01:34 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,473 Likes on 924 Posts

Sounds like a new regulator in your future...
Old 11-21-2011, 02:57 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by kpl
my window started acting up and from this:

it sounds like my issue. With the window up, and I open the door, the window does not dip. To close the door I can push the window down a bit, and once the door is closed the window will go up automatically as it should. When raising and lowering the window via the console switch, I hear a odd faint sound, sorta a squeak, that wasn't there before. I'll pull off the door panel and see what's up.
Went through something similar with my 02 Boxster a while back. The cause of the symptom proved to be a worn out drive'rs side window raising/lower mechanism. The tech told me when he exposed the device to check its condition the thing fell apart. The mechanism had simply worn out.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 11-22-2011, 04:30 PM
pat056
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

While you have the door panel off, invest in the window regulator. It's about a $200 and a 2 hour job from where you are starting. These's a pretty good DYI on rennlist or the Boxter forum, I can't remember. I've done it twice and I'm a 10 thumbs weekend mechanic but all went well.
Old 11-22-2011, 09:30 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 63 Posts

Yes, there is a good DIY online. I found it recently when doing my father's Boxster regulator. We got a regulator from Rock Auto for, if I recall, about $120. It was a perfect fit, and so far, it's working admirably. I don't know if it will be as long-lived as the Porsche part.
Old 12-10-2011, 09:34 PM
kpl
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I posted up some pictures here of the door comming apart. When I was searching for instructions to take apart the door to replace the regulator it would have helped me if I had more pictures to look at. It's a pretty easy job. The worst part is just getting off the panel in the first place. I also found it surprisingly easy to get the window readjusted.
Old 12-12-2011, 10:25 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Received 135 Likes on 71 Posts

Good comments here. My passenger side window has been having minor problems since the fall and the push on the top of the window suggests I'll be needing a new regulator soon... I'll probably do the job in the spring.
Old 12-19-2011, 10:43 PM
sjfehr
Drifting

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

I'm having a similar problem with my passenger door; I just finished playing with it and it seems to be going up and down just fine, but is hanging when opening/closing it. I'm wondering if the glass is simply adjusted too high? How much of a gap should there be between the marking on the glass and the window seal when the window is up? It seems to be about 3/8" higher on the passenger side than the driver's side. How easy is it to adjust this down slightly?

Edit: I put tape on the window like the final step in Wayne's article and found it about 8mm on the driver's side (no issues or sticking) and 10mm on the passenger side (sticking). I taped the bottom and found that while the driver's side is moving 12mm up/down, the passenger's window is only moving 5mm. No give when I push down on the glass.

Last edited by sjfehr; 12-19-2011 at 11:01 PM.
Old 12-19-2011, 10:57 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,473 Likes on 924 Posts

Very easy to adjust. There are rubber plugs on the bottom of the door that can be accessed to adjust the window. The window has to be almost all the way down to reach the adjustment bolts. I think I used a long socket wrench extension and a 5mm socket to turn them.
Old 12-20-2011, 08:20 AM
996 Kuwait
AutoX

happens to me a couple of months ago, new regulator at Porsche delaer, around 200S, and like 10 minutes work, very easy to do!!! even for me! just 2 screws fron the side of the door, 3 pins to remove the cover, and another 3 screws to remove the window guides! easy!
Old 12-24-2011, 11:05 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by sjfehr
I'm having a similar problem with my passenger door; I just finished playing with it and it seems to be going up and down just fine, but is hanging when opening/closing it. I'm wondering if the glass is simply adjusted too high? How much of a gap should there be between the marking on the glass and the window seal when the window is up? It seems to be about 3/8" higher on the passenger side than the driver's side. How easy is it to adjust this down slightly?

Edit: I put tape on the window like the final step in Wayne's article and found it about 8mm on the driver's side (no issues or sticking) and 10mm on the passenger side (sticking). I taped the bottom and found that while the driver's side is moving 12mm up/down, the passenger's window is only moving 5mm. No give when I push down on the glass.
This is what it was like on the Boxster I replaced the regulator on... it was moving up and down, but not enough. It seems, after close inspection of the old regulator after I replaced it, that a plastic bushing piece where the lift bracket connects was deteriorating. This essentially causes slop in the cable - so while the motor does it's "thing", it's not moving the window enough.
Old 12-31-2011, 02:06 PM
sjfehr
Drifting

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

Is there a way to replace/repair just the worn bushing(s) as opposed to an entire $200 window regulator?
Old 04-08-2012, 12:32 PM
awtoy4444
1st Gear

I am having the same problem as Jim, "when I pull the door handle it does lower but when I release the handle it goes back up"... is it really the microswitch?!?

Quick Reply: Window doesn't go down when open/shuting door