Newbie--30k Insp question

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2006, 12:37 PM
Botsy67
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Wink Newbie--30k Insp question

Hello all,
I am new to this board and this is my first post by the way :-) I usually frequent the E39 board since I have a 528i/5sp as DD. My bro in law just bought a '06 997S cab and is selling me his old '00 996 cab w/ 27k miles. Tomorrow he will bring the 996 to the dealer for a 30k inspection. If everything goes well, I will go to LA this weekend to drive it back up here in the Bay Area. My question to the P- experts is: what will be checked or RR in this 30k inspection? Will they also check for the RMS issue I heard so much around here? Is there a std list of things the dealer usually do for this? I am sorry if this question has been asked many times before but I am still trying to find my way around in this forum :-) Thanks for any help with this...

Botsy67 (RLM# 060430-3521)
'00 996 cab (coming soon :-)
Old 04-24-2006, 12:56 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm curious to know as well
Old 04-24-2006, 02:36 PM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index...maint_us_mj_02
Old 04-24-2006, 02:38 PM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

Major maintenance after: 30,000, 60,000, 90,000, 120,000 miles etc. (48,000, 96,000, 144,000, 192,000 km etc.)

Diagnosis system: Read out fault memory
Polyrib belt: Check condition
Change the engine oil and oil filter
Replace the spark plugs
Vehicle underside and engine compartment: Visual inspection for leaks (oils and fluids) and abrasion (lines and hoses)
Underbody panels: visual inspection for completeness, installation and damage
Coolant hoses: Check condition;
Radiators and air inlets at front: Visual inspection for external contamination and blockage;
Coolant: Check the level and antifreeze protection
Air cleaner: Replace the filter element
Particle filter: Replace the filter element
Fuel system: Visual inspection for damage, routing and secure fit of line connections
Power steering: Check the fluid level and bellows
Parking brake: Checking the free play of the parking brake lever
Brake system: Visual inspection of the brake pads and brake discs for wear
Brake hoses and lines: Visual inspection for damage, routing and corrosion. Checking the brake fluid level
Clutch: Check the play and pedal end position
Throttle actuation: Check smooth operation, check the full throttle position with the Tester
Steering gear: Visually inspect the bellows for damage
Tie rod joints: Check the play and dust bellows
Axle joints: Check play, visual inspection of dust bellows for damage, check screw connections of running gear adjustment facility, front and rear, for secure fit
Drive shafts: Perform a visual inspection of the boots for leaks and damage
Exhaust system: Visual inspection for leaks and damage, check suspension
Tires and spare wheel (collapsible wheel): Check the condition and the tire pressure
Check the door locks, lid locks and safety hooks of the front lid to ensure that they are secure and functioning properly:
Check lid lock, front and rear; Check safety hook, front lid; Function test, check door lock; Check door and lid tightening torques
Seat belts: Check function and condition
Vehicle lighting: Check function; All headlights: Check adjustment; Horn: Check operation.
Windscreen wiper/washer system, headlight washer: Check fluid level and nozzle settings, pay attention to antifreeze protection in the winter months.
Electrical equipment as well as warning and indicator lights: Check operation.
Test drive:
Remote control, front seats, foot and parking brakes (also actuation travel), engine, clutch, steering, transmission, ParkAssist, automatic speed control, TC/PSM switch, heating, air-conditioning system and instruments: Check operation.
Oils, fluids: Visual inspection for leaks
Old 04-24-2006, 05:00 PM
Botsy67
Rennlist Member

Tnanks a bunch Riad, greatly appreciate your response with the list...
-Botsy67
Old 04-24-2006, 08:16 PM
nycebo
Three Wheelin'

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Look at this guy Botsy67: 2 posts and he's already a member. Good on you man! Gotta support the team.
Old 04-24-2006, 08:47 PM
Big6Dad
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nycebo
Look at this guy Botsy67: 2 posts and he's already a member. Good on you man! Gotta support the team.

Ditto........
Old 04-24-2006, 09:50 PM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

Old 04-25-2006, 12:38 AM
Botsy67
Rennlist Member

Thanks Nycebo for your support, did not know there is a minimum post to be a member or what... his board that special??? sheehhh!!!
Old 04-25-2006, 09:04 AM
nycebo
Three Wheelin'

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

No minimum post at all. It's just that usually people wait to become members until someone says, "Hey! You've posted 50 times. Don't you think it's time to pony up the cash for a membership already?"

But not you, brother. Kudos! Rennlist is a great service and wealth of information for all of us and the little amount for a membership goes a long way to keeping this place awesome. Cheers.

And yes, this is the best forum I have ever visited on the net. Passionate people. Smart people. Has already saved me a ton from minor problems in what otherwise would have been service visits and charges.
Old 04-25-2006, 12:29 PM
Botsy67
Rennlist Member

Thanks Edwards for your post and support again. I am well aware of the great benefits that one can get out of these forums in exchange for a small membership fee. That's the main reason of my immediate membership before even posting anything. I learned a great deal from the E39 board and also saved a lot of money trouble-shooting issues thanks to the forum help, or DIY mods, or R&R simple defective parts. I am sure this 996 board would be equally or even better at helping its members. I am extremely excited and impatiently waiting for this coming weekend to go down to LA and pick-up my first P-car, a '00 996 cab. Actually your car has the aero kit that I would eventually go for as well... I will post an official introduction on this forum with some pics of the car :-) Thanks,
-Bo
Old 04-25-2006, 12:45 PM
pl
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No minimum post at all. It's just that usually people wait to become members until someone says, "Hey! You've posted 50 times. Don't you think it's time to pony up the cash for a membership already?"

But not you, brother. Kudos! Rennlist is a great service and wealth of information for all of us and the little amount for a membership goes a long way to keeping this place awesome. Cheers.

And yes, this is the best forum I have ever visited on the net. Passionate people. Smart people. Has already saved me a ton from minor problems in what otherwise would have been service visits and charges.
what cash? what memebership? rennlist is free, free as air and sunshine, right?
Old 04-25-2006, 10:21 PM
mundman
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by pl
what cash? what memebership? rennlist is free, free as air and sunshine, right?

OH BOY!!!
Old 04-25-2006, 11:45 PM
Big6Dad
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yea...and he has 400+ posts....and proud of it...all with out putting up a dime

Quick Reply: Newbie--30k Insp question