Sponsored by:

How much of your wealth in cars?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2006, 01:55 PM
JimB
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If this stuff concerns you, go racing. Suddenly owning a couple Porsches seems like petty cash. It does remind me of one of my favorite quotes though.

"You can live in your car but you can't drive your house"
Old 04-24-2006, 08:15 PM
rayng
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JimB
If this stuff concerns you, go racing. Suddenly owning a couple Porsches seems like petty cash. It does remind me of one of my favorite quotes though.

What concerns me about this and other threads like these is the presumption that some of us who drive these cars don't have the social or economic credentials to do so. Why or how owning a P-car can make you rich or bump you up to a higher social class is nonsense. I like this forum because rich or poor, high or low class, this forum is made up with a bunch of guys who share my enjoyment, enthusiasm, and love for our fine, sexy cars.

I just feel bad making other guys on this board feel guilty or bad about driving their cars. So to hell with net worth, % of income, and other misleading measures of success. Who am I or anyone else to judge?
Old 04-24-2006, 11:25 PM
Livefreeandrive
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Let's stick with the cars.......and our mutual enthusiasm. There is too much other B.S. when we try to compare financial plans. I just hope your family comes before your driving whims. Having just sent off a check for my youngest child's college tuition payment................................BRING ON THE MAX MONTHLY PAYMENT FOR A CGT!!!!=Just kidding honey!
It is what it is, I drove some crappy 944s for a while, but it was a great experience and was the right thing to do.
Old 04-25-2006, 01:14 AM
thewump
Instructor

Car payments? I hate them. I used to have car payments, but now consider them to be a loan for life. I paid off my car, then got another one, so it's not a 3 year or 5 year loan, it's a 3 to 5 year car, and then another one - it's for life... so now I buy cars that I can afford cash. Once in a while, the car is a BIG % of expenditure, but that's it for a few years.

Of my 4 cars, 2 of them cost under $500 ;-) Triumph Spitfire ( wifes fun car ) and '82 Jeep ( Home Depot runner ). I've put alot of time in to them, but feel really good about owning cars that are almost free to run, and under $20 / month to insure.. Balances out the Porsche a little!

Keith
Old 04-25-2006, 08:26 AM
Patric F.
Instructor

Of my 4 cars, 2 of them cost under $500 ;-) Triumph Spitfire ( wifes fun car ) and '82 Jeep ( Home Depot runner ).

Keith[/QUOTE]

I have a 1994 Jeep Cherokee with 190,000 miles on it. That is my Lowe's runner. Always good to have a car that you dont have to worry about.
Old 04-25-2006, 08:55 AM
TD in DC
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is soooooo true. Everyone always says it, but, like some stubborn teenager, you don't believe it until you start yourself. I "thought" that I would take the inexpensive route by racing a n/a 944 Now, all of my other cars, including the 996, seem like true bargains!
Old 04-25-2006, 08:58 AM
TD in DC
Race Director

Originally Posted by rayng
What concerns me about this and other threads like these is the presumption that some of us who drive these cars don't have the social or economic credentials to do so. Why or how owning a P-car can make you rich or bump you up to a higher social class is nonsense. I like this forum because rich or poor, high or low class, this forum is made up with a bunch of guys who share my enjoyment, enthusiasm, and love for our fine, sexy cars.

I just feel bad making other guys on this board feel guilty or bad about driving their cars. So to hell with net worth, % of income, and other misleading measures of success. Who am I or anyone else to judge?
Although I agree 100% with your post, I don't understand why you quoted JimB's post. His most certainly is not trying to do what you and I do not like. in fact, his post is the only reason I would participate in a thread like this, or threads like "how much do you earn" or "what do you do for a living" etc . . .

I love my life. Cars, including the P-cars, are irrelevant, which is precisely why I enjoy them so damned much.
Old 04-25-2006, 09:14 AM
JimB
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rayng

Wow Ray,
Why did you quote me before going on your tirade? I could care less what anyone makes or spends or drives or lives-in or anything else. I was just bitching about the cost of racing and sharing a favorite quote. Go be concerned about someone else.
Jim

p.s. I'm grumpy this morning!
Old 04-25-2006, 09:15 AM
TD in DC
Race Director

Wow Ray,
Why did you quote me before going on your tirade? I could care less what anyone makes or spends or drives or lives-in or anything else. I was just bitching about the cost of racing and sharing a favorite quote. Go be concerned about someone else.
Jim

p.s. I'm grumpy this morning!
I am assuming it was inadvertent . . .
Old 04-25-2006, 09:16 AM
JimB
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks Todd,
You beat me to the enter button.
Jim
Old 04-25-2006, 02:54 PM
thewump
Instructor

Originally Posted by Patric F.
I have a 1994 Jeep Cherokee with 190,000 miles on it. That is my Lowe's runner. Always good to have a car that you dont have to worry about.
Unfortunately my love of the Jeep and the work that I've put into it is making me turn it into something that I care about as much as the Porsche ;-)

http://community.webshots.com/photo/...28740709PRWXsk

As far as the thread and the way it's going it's an interesting point. My view is that there are days when I think it means something about my worth / status that I drive a Porsche - and on those days it does - it means I'm an *******.

Keith
Old 04-25-2006, 03:01 PM
rayng
Rennlist Member

Sorry for the tone of my post, Jim. I was not ripping on you or anyone else. I was just making a point that value and enjoyment of our p-car cannot be easily measured in % of income.

I also agree with Keith that owning a p-car says nothing about my socio-economic status. I would wish all of us can do as well or better considering the escalating prices of gas and 997s.
Old 04-25-2006, 06:20 PM
wyo996
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Wealth? I'm car poor. . I am truly an addict, but better than drugs or alcohol. I just bought a sweet little 03 Evo XIII with 8,000 m I am going to beat up back and forth to town everyday. You only live once. Will
Old 04-26-2006, 05:46 PM
mjet
Instructor

Nice Jeep Keith!
Old 04-26-2006, 07:34 PM
Rob in WA
Cap'n Insane the Engorged
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

~2% - if you factor in boats it goes up a bit, but still under 10%.

Quick Reply: How much of your wealth in cars?