996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

How does the 4WD work on the 996?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2006, 09:21 PM
Slowpoke
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How does the 4WD work on the 996?

Hey,

As the topic says guys..

Is it 50/50 or 70/30 etc? Differential? How exactly does it work?

Thanks!
Old 04-19-2006, 09:38 PM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

Under normal driving conditions it's 5 percent front wheel, 92 percent rear wheel, and 3 percent center wheel... but maybe Porsche's website could articulate it better than I can:

At the center of the Carrera 4’s intelligent all-wheel drive is a viscous clutch that reads traction at all four corners and instantly transfers an additional 5 to 40 percent of the engine’s power to the front axle for maximum grip, even on changing road surfaces. The multiple-disc clutch consists of a series of interleaved plates. The space between these plates is filled with a high-viscosity silicone fluid. If the front and rear axles begin to rotate at different speeds, the frictional properties of the silicone fluid cause torque to be directed towards the plates that are rotating more slowly. At least 5 percent of drive torque is applied to the front wheels at all times. Under daily driving conditions, the average rear/front torque split is approximately 65/35, resulting in laser-true tracking at speed and unprecedented control through the tightest corners.
Old 04-19-2006, 09:55 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Rob - Good explanation!

Slowpoke - BTW, how did you make out on the rear wheel offset issue you posted few weeks ago? Did the new tires and camber setting solve the problem? Can you post some "before and after" pics?
Old 04-19-2006, 10:37 PM
Slowpoke
Advanced

Originally Posted by riad
Under normal driving conditions it's 5 percent front wheel, 92 percent rear wheel, and 3 percent center wheel... but maybe Porsche's website could articulate it better than I can:

At the center of the Carrera 4’s intelligent all-wheel drive is a viscous clutch that reads traction at all four corners and instantly transfers an additional 5 to 40 percent of the engine’s power to the front axle for maximum grip, even on changing road surfaces. The multiple-disc clutch consists of a series of interleaved plates. The space between these plates is filled with a high-viscosity silicone fluid. If the front and rear axles begin to rotate at different speeds, the frictional properties of the silicone fluid cause torque to be directed towards the plates that are rotating more slowly. At least 5 percent of drive torque is applied to the front wheels at all times. Under daily driving conditions, the average rear/front torque split is approximately 65/35, resulting in laser-true tracking at speed and unprecedented control through the tightest corners.
Wonderful answer!

One question though, centrewheel?

Thanks again!
Old 04-19-2006, 10:39 PM
Slowpoke
Advanced

Originally Posted by gota911
Rob - Good explanation!

Slowpoke - BTW, how did you make out on the rear wheel offset issue you posted few weeks ago? Did the new tires and camber setting solve the problem? Can you post some "before and after" pics?
Hey there Tim!

May 3rd will be judgement daay on this issue

Porsche dealer are having a super GT3 Cup Racing mechanic do my camber settings, 4 new tires are waiting if the camber doesn't solve the problem, will report then and take pics!

Thanks for the concern, it warms!
Old 04-19-2006, 11:09 PM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 194 Likes on 108 Posts

Slowpoke....if you don't have a center wheel, you are screwed. Immediately report to the Porsche service center near you, speak with the service manager, and have them install your center wheel.

2022 GT3 Touring
2009 997 Turbo Cab
2018 M2 6sp

Gone but not forgotten
2004 C4S Cabriolet
1999 C2 Cab

Old 04-19-2006, 11:18 PM
Slowpoke
Advanced

Originally Posted by Eric - Plug Guy
Slowpoke....if you don't have a center wheel, you are screwed. Immediately report to the Porsche service center near you, speak with the service manager, and have them install your center wheel.

Plugguy,

What exactly IS the centerwheel?
Old 04-19-2006, 11:22 PM
gota911
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Eric - Plug Guy

Good one Eric! I was going to say something to Slowpoke about Rob's reference to the center wheel, 'cuz I know Slowpoke is in Europe, but I couldn't resist having the opportunity to hear his response. I don't think Europeans totally get "American humor."

BTW, Rob - loved the center wheel thing!
Old 04-19-2006, 11:34 PM
Slowpoke
Advanced

If you guys are janking my chain about the centre wheelthingy - American humor really DOES suck!

Old 04-20-2006, 12:12 AM
Zookie
Nordschleife Master

Received 86 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by riad
What about the PSM is Off?
Old 04-20-2006, 10:22 AM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Zookie
What about the PSM is Off?
Good question that I would like answers as well. Experience driving with it off would lead me to suspect that only 5% is set to the front and it doesn't transfer more power to the front.
Old 04-20-2006, 12:10 PM
gota911
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Slowpoke
If you guys are janking my chain about the centre wheelthingy - American humor really DOES suck!

Yes, they were yanking (not janking) your chain!
Old 04-20-2006, 12:11 PM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

My center wheel works all the time, just ask the ladies.
Old 04-20-2006, 01:54 PM
bimmerbob
Advanced

I think you may have your center wheel and stick shift confused!
Old 04-20-2006, 02:35 PM
wwest
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

PSM has no effect on the VC, viscous clutch/coupling, not directly anyway. The VC has an input "DRIVE" shaft, from the rear, and an output shaft to the front diff'l. Unless there is a disparate, different, rotational rate between these two shafts the viscous fluid remains in its "native", latent state, wherein it only couples about 5% of the drive torque from the rear to the front.

If the rear, primary drive, wheels develop some level of slip or spin (***) the VC fluid will quickly increase the coupling coefficient between the two sets of interleaved plates.

*** This is where PSM might have an indirect effect in that it will moderately apply braking to any slipping wheel or wheels while simultaneously dethrottling the engine thereby preventing any "reactive" VC activity.

Quick Reply: How does the 4WD work on the 996?