Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

is it possible to have a subwoofer box with 2 8"s behind rear seats? 01 C4 Coupe

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2003, 07:08 PM
ZeeZee
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Willard - seems like you've left the post but I'll add my 2 cents anyway.

First off, you mention dynamic range, but that has nothing to do with the sound quality of a system. Dynamic range has to do with the theoretical limits of the available resolution (from quiet to loud). It has absolutely nothing to do with the quality of speakers or amps. A cassette will sound better by far through my car's system than a CD will through yours. And a cassette has orders of magnitude less dynamic range than a CD.

I've had many home systems, upgrading them through the years, and I can tell you that without question that the better the system, the better the sound, regardless of volume. If you disagree, then I assume it's either a function of you attempting to stir the pot (which I admit I've jumped into) or a function of your age (which I cannot believe given the number of 60+ year-old audiophiles I know).

My guess, actually, is that you just don't care about quality audio. I'd say you listen to talk radio at least 75% of the time (tell me I'm mistaken). And so you feel that if you don't care about it, then nobody else should either. This is why you equate audio-upgraders with Honda-tuners.

My suggestion is that you tune to your favorite AM station, lower the bass to zero, and crank it up. Who needs stereo anyway?
Old 07-03-2003, 01:35 PM
wwest
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Whoa...

ZeeZee

If you're ever in Seattle drop by.

Dynamic range, 120db:

My point here was/is that I can set at home where it's quiet and listen to content with this type of dynamic range without the need to adjust, re-adjust, the volume from time to time.

Driving along in my car proves to be a severe limited factor in this regard, I find myself skipping "low" passages, the easy way out. But just one of the limitations of automotive audio reproduction.

About 3-4 years ago I discarded (well, to my son) all of my large home speaker enclosures after discovering that a Bose system was just as good or better with one bass reproduction unit hidden away in a corner.

Back not too many years ago I bought one of the first Healthkit systems that had high power at .01 harmonic distortion. I was always amazed that it took the rest of the industry so long to catch up.

And anytime you want to come and prove that your cassette tape player will exceed the audio performance of the CD in my stock 01 C4, say at 55MPH, then come right ahead. Actually, thinking about it, I'd rather take on the challenge with the C4 setting quietly in the garage.

But please remember that not only does your cassette NOT have anything close to the dynamic range of my CD, it also does NOT have the bandwidth.

Garbage in, garbage out!

AND. Since the advent of CDs as far as I'm concerned AM/FM and tape could be completely eliminated from the automotive market and I wouldn't care in the least.
Old 12-13-2007, 02:58 AM
acneil
Track Day

Wow. I know this thread is old. But I was totally shocked that Willard cannot tell the difference between stock and AM. Im not trying to be stupid here, but Willard man, you gotta get your ears checked. Not that it matters, cause this thread is so old. I was too shocked and had to comment.
Old 12-13-2007, 08:22 AM
NOBY
Pro

I wonder tho if someone has a working link to pictures how to mount a sub behind the rear seat?
Old 12-13-2007, 10:19 AM
programmatore
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NOBY
I wonder tho if someone has a working link to pictures how to mount a sub behind the rear seat?
I bought a pair of 8" subs in a custom fiberglass enclosure from Rod @ Car Audio Innovations. I love them. They're hooked up to an Audison 5 channel amp and Focal speakers on the dash and doors (I kept the stock rear speakers for fill) and an Alpine head unit with iPod connector and XM radio.

Here's a picture of the subs from the Car Audio Innovations website:

http://www.caraudioinnovations.com/porsche996sub.htm
Old 12-14-2007, 05:05 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

LowStro9 might have pics. His sound system is TOP NOTCH.

-td
Old 12-14-2007, 05:13 PM
NOBY
Pro

I realy need some nice subwoofers, is there anyone out there that sells some nice custom made that you can just bolt in nicely on a 996?

programmatore: Where did you buy yours and how much?
Old 12-15-2007, 06:24 PM
programmatore
Drifting

I realy need some nice subwoofers, is there anyone out there that sells some nice custom made that you can just bolt in nicely on a 996?

programmatore: Where did you buy yours and how much?
I guess you missed the link I provided in the bottom of my post. Here it is again: http://www.caraudioinnovations.com/porsche996sub.htm

I paid $1,299 for the pair. Email or call Rod -- he will give you good advice and when you're ready to make the purchase, he's excellent to deal with.

The sub enclosures just sit on the floor behind the front seats -- no bolts or anything required. You do have to run speaker wires from the amp to the subs. I am actually glad that they don't bolt down because I can easily remove them if I want to or need to in case I need to fit a passenger in the back seat -- which I have had to do on several occassions when taking out 2 girls.
Old 12-15-2007, 06:50 PM
NOBY
Pro

Originally Posted by programmatore
I guess you missed the link I provided in the bottom of my post. Here it is again: http://www.caraudioinnovations.com/porsche996sub.htm

I paid $1,299 for the pair. Email or call Rod -- he will give you good advice and when you're ready to make the purchase, he's excellent to deal with.

The sub enclosures just sit on the floor behind the front seats -- no bolts or anything required. You do have to run speaker wires from the amp to the subs. I am actually glad that they don't bolt down because I can easily remove them if I want to or need to in case I need to fit a passenger in the back seat -- which I have had to do on several occassions when taking out 2 girls.
Do they require to have the rear seat? I want remove the rear seat.

Do you have a picture of those subwoofers standing alone?
Old 12-15-2007, 08:10 PM
M Fig
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Here is my setup...2 8" JL's with a box. It has a cover that matches my carpet so you can't really tell they are there...unless you turn up the bass

Last edited by M Fig; 09-17-2015 at 06:53 PM.
Old 12-16-2007, 12:49 AM
programmatore
Drifting

I suppose you can have the subwoofers there and remove the reat seats but the subwoofers kind of slot in under the rear seat overhang so that the rear seat hold them in place. Without the rear seat you will have to device a way to keep the subwoofers in place.

Do you have a cabriolet or a coupe? If you have a coupe, I recommend you get a sub-enclosure for the rear shelf. I chose the floor subwoofers because there is no rear shelf in a cabriolet.
Old 12-16-2007, 03:36 AM
himself
Rennlist Member

Click the link in my sig for a box with 3 6.5" JL woofers.

[EDIT] Original thread in sig now links to woofer pics

-td

Last edited by himself; 12-16-2007 at 03:45 PM.
Old 12-16-2007, 07:23 AM
NOBY
Pro

Originally Posted by td873
Click the link in my sig for a box with 3 6" JL woofers.

-td
Only subwoofers I can see in your sig links are newports sub on the passanger side, do you ment something else?
Old 12-16-2007, 03:38 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

Only subwoofers I can see in your sig links are newports sub on the passanger side, do you ment something else?
Doh! I forgot I removed that part of my sig. Here is the direct link.

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ghlight=woofer

Thanks!

-td
Old 02-09-2008, 04:53 AM
acneil
Track Day

Adam at Exotic Solutions is the man for 996 boxes. Unreal. Unreal. Unreal. I bought one, he doesnt gouge like the other guy. Check out his work. You can buy from his ebay store or from him in person.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: is it possible to have a subwoofer box with 2 8"s behind rear seats? 01 C4 Coupe