Sponsored by:

Radio loses/changes stations

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2006, 11:03 AM
gravedgr
Rennlist Member

Received 436 Likes on 219 Posts
Default Radio loses/changes stations

I thought I would check to see if anyone has ever seen this problem before I take it in to the dealership (didn't find anything on search).

I have the CDR23 head unit and Bose system (I don't know if they are part of the same package). I have 2 stations (preset 2 and 3) that shift to another station (preset 10) on their own. Preset 3 shifts almost immediately, and preset 2 does it after about 5-10 seconds. It did this once before with the station on preset 3, but then stopped. So here is the behavior:

Select preset 2/3.
Display indicates correct FM frequency and plays correct station.
Within a few seconds display changes to another station (always the same) and plays that station.

Use the tuning button to select the station that 'disappears'.
Within a few seconds display changes to another station (always the same) and plays that station.

Press MAN (manual) button and use the tuning button to select the station that 'disappears'.
Station does not change on its own.

What's interesting is that if you press preset 2 or 3 and then quickly press the MAN button before it changes, it will stay on that station (just like if you use the MAN button and manually tune the station). I've tried moving these stations to other presets and they still change, and its always the same station they change to. If you let it change on its own, sometimes it will correctly change the display from what you selected to preset 10 (where the station it changes to is stored).

Really weird.

Last edited by gravedgr; 04-19-2006 at 12:57 PM.
Old 04-19-2006, 01:24 PM
Joe2000C4Cab
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ummm, I never had that kind of weird behavior in my car but I did have other weird stuff that immediately went away when I replaced the battery. The car started just fine but other things lead me to believe the battery was going. Just a suggestion I thought I'd toss out...
Old 04-19-2006, 02:33 PM
BSG03Cab
Addict
Rennlist Member

Took mine in for same issue. Was told it was a station "programming" issue not the radio. It still switchs from PBS to the Latin station out of TJ. Very annoying. Let me if you get a better response from your dealer.

Bruce
Old 04-20-2006, 01:38 AM
BSG03Cab
Addict
Rennlist Member

Doug,
Just got a call from the service advisor, who told me "Did you know you had the wrong software for your radio?" This after 3 trips to dealer where radio was one of the issues. They replaced radio, Amp and 2 rear speakers. Just FYI. I'll pick the car up in the AM and maybe then can give you more info. They still can't figure out vibration at 78 MPH, keep saying its tire balance, tire shop (4X 2 shops) say something is wrong with suspension.

Good Luck,

B
Old 04-20-2006, 12:03 PM
gravedgr
Rennlist Member

BSG - if you could let me know the final result, I'd really appreciate it. I'll hold off until then. Since hitting the MAN button immediatly after the preset seems to hold the channel, that's our "work around" for now.

Sad that the electronics (and especially the sound system) in my wife's $20k Honda Element (don't ask - she thinks it is cute) are light years ahead of anything from Porsche. All they seem to get right is engine management and stability control - maybe that's all that matters.
Old 04-20-2006, 12:24 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by gravedgr
BSG - if you could let me know the final result, I'd really appreciate it. I'll hold off until then. Since hitting the MAN button immediatly after the preset seems to hold the channel, that's our "work around" for now.

Sad that the electronics (and especially the sound system) in my wife's $20k Honda Element (don't ask - she thinks it is cute) are light years ahead of anything from Porsche. All they seem to get right is engine management and stability control - maybe that's all that matters.
Based upon your comment, I am guessing that your opinion of the Honda Element is similar to mine! I think the are BUTT UGLY! I am still trying to determine what "element" they are trying to be!

You don't ever drive that "thing," do you? Don’t answer that, it is a rhetorical question!
Old 04-20-2006, 12:26 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know what the problem is. You have one of the european options hit. I can't remember what it is called, but what happens is that the system is designed to tune to a specific station when the radio receives a certain "emergency" signal. Obviously, we do not have that system here in the states, but if you have it turned on, if your radio receives a signal that is close to the "emergency" signal, it will automatically tune to the nearst, strongest "emergency" station. Read the manual to see what I am talking about.
Old 04-20-2006, 12:45 PM
gravedgr
Rennlist Member

Hmm...I think recently I turned AudioPilot on (AP ON via the display), looking for some sort of speed-sensitive volume setting. I think that's the only thing I changed. I'll turn it off on the way home and check to see if it goes away.

OT, but WTF is up with a $70k+ car not having speed-adjusting volume on its top end stereo? From the manual, it looks like maybe it SHOULD have it, but I don't even have all the menu choices it lists for the Bose.
Old 04-20-2006, 01:17 PM
Joe2000C4Cab
Pro

gravedgr,

I have the PCM in my 2000 cab and it has Speed Dependent Volume (SDP) that I set to medium. It is obvious when it is in operation.

You're sure the "AP on" was not TP? TP is the Traffic Program that is supposed to change the channel on your radio when there is a traffic alert. AP or TP, switch it off.

Good luck.
Old 04-20-2006, 01:24 PM
BSG03Cab
Addict
Rennlist Member

Doug,

Picked up my car this AM. The changing radio station problem had to do with a software issue. The only fix was to replace the head unit. The amp and speaker problem was a separate issue. Seems to be fine now.

Bruce
Old 04-20-2006, 02:51 PM
gravedgr
Rennlist Member

Bruce - thanks, I'll give my dealer a call and schedule a visit. I had a "<oil icon> indicator failure" pop up on the computer display a couple of days ago, but it was gone almost before I registered it in my head - now my pressure gauge tends to bounce some where it did not before, so I'll have them look at both.

Joe - I'm sure it's AP. The manual calls it AudioPilot but doesn't really say what it does. I don't have PCM, just the CDR23 head unit which doesn't have any setting under Sound or Menue for speed-sensitive volume.
Old 04-20-2006, 08:16 PM
Fast40th
Burning Brakes

Doug: The AudioPilot is part of the Bose system that equalizes the sound out of the speakers in accordance to the ambient noise in the cabin. From your description of how the radio tunes to other stations it sure seems like it may be the "Traffic Program" as suggested before. That's what happened to me before.

Cheers.
Old 04-21-2006, 12:00 PM
gravedgr
Rennlist Member

I could not find the Traffic Program setting, but I don't think its related as the radio now has a new favorite station (which happens to be on preset 9 instead of 10). BTW, neither of these stations offer traffic/emergency reports (my wife's radio has the same feature and the local station it picks is different from either of the 'ghost' stations).
Old 04-21-2006, 12:02 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gravedgr
I could not find the Traffic Program setting, but I don't think its related as the radio now has a new favorite station (which happens to be on preset 9 instead of 10). BTW, neither of these stations offer traffic/emergency reports (my wife's radio has the same feature and the local station it picks is different from either of the 'ghost' stations).
Doug, that doesn't matter. It will not always tune to the same station, and the stations to which it does tune most definitely do not offer traffic/emergency reports -- that only happens in europe. Try to find the TP setting first before you assume your radio is malfunctioning. I would be anything that is the problem.
Old 04-21-2006, 12:03 PM
Joe2000C4Cab
Pro

gravedgr, your car is freakin me out!

I hope you get it solved...

Quick Reply: Radio loses/changes stations