Coolant smell... expansion tank already replaced

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2006, 11:43 PM
itradem
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Coolant smell... expansion tank already replaced

Guys,

I recently had my expansion tank and cap replaced due to a small crack that I didn't want to get any worse. However, I am still getting a coolant smell coming from behind the left side rear tire. There don't appear to be any leaks, and the system seems to be holding pressure very well... I removed the cap 5 hours after my morning commute and got a pronounced hiss, releasing the system pressure.

I might have a little bit of air left in the system after I had ALL of the coolant flushed, but would this cause a smell??? In any case, I will run it with the bleeder valve open tomorrow to purge any more air.

Any other likely culprits for this smell??? Could some spilled coolant still be burning off after 2 weeks of use since the tank replacement???

Thanks
Old 04-18-2006, 11:58 PM
marlinspike
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 40 Posts

Is there some coolant left in the engine bay slowly cooking off? Air in the system wouldn't make it smell.
Old 04-19-2006, 12:28 AM
itradem
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cooking is possible... how long do you think the smell would persist???
Old 04-19-2006, 09:30 AM
nycebo
Three Wheelin'

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by marlinspike
Is there some coolant left in the engine bay slowly cooking off? Air in the system wouldn't make it smell.
That'd be my sneaking suspicion as well. Of course, if it persists for more than a week or two, I'd investigate the technique written about on a Porsche blog (and cited here also) that involves using a little fluorescent fluid mixed into the coolant, a blacklight, and some goggles to find the source of any potential leak. Basically, you drive the car around a bit and then come home, turn off the lights, put on the goggles, use the blacklight and check everywhere near and around your coolant. I know, sounds like overkill, but just passing the gospel.

Quick Reply: Coolant smell... expansion tank already replaced