996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Porsche GT3 seat vs Recaro Pole Position review

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2006, 05:03 PM
Daniel@AdvancedMotorsport.com
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just wanted to ask you a quick question regarding your adapter bracket and sidemount setup: Do you think that the height issue was because you were not using Recaro Adapter brackets + Recaro Sidemounts?

It seems that the sidemounts in your picture in your blog were not height adjustable.

Here is a picture of my Pole Postions with authentic Recaro Adapters in my Audi TT which clearly show that you can adjust the height of the seats:

Here are pictures of the sidemounts with their adjustable holes. The FIA approved aluminum brackets weigh 1kg per side. (Thus the total weight would be 8kg/17.6lbs)

and the dimensions of the seats:

I'm 6'0, 220lb and the Pole Positions in my car is a great fit for me when I track.
Old 04-18-2006, 05:44 PM
evolvedaz
Former Vendor

I run the GT3 seats for driver and passenger. Great for the track, hurt on road trips if you have back issues. I am 5'10 190bs. Fits good with room. Hugs the sides! I think I paid about $1300 a seat.
Old 04-18-2006, 07:31 PM
Advanced

Same for me. The Pole Positions are great track seats and my leather/suede combo looks great but... doing my daily drive commute of 100+ miles a day and they can be a little uncomfortable also.

But i'm a slave of form and function.
Old 04-18-2006, 07:41 PM
bnewport
Racer

The BKs are height adjustable on the front only. The problem is that rear isn't height adjustable so this doesn't let me adjust the belt angle for my shoulders and my helmet is uncomfortably close to the roll bar protection so my head would support the roof if I roll over.

If I could adjust it on the rear then it'd be possible. The problem with these side mounts and the 996 sliders is that the 996 sliders use a 4 pin lock thats above the level of the slider. This means the side brackets need to be taller so the bottom of the seat clears the pins on the sides. This complicates life further as now the seat belt receptacle can't be pushed through the lap belt hole so the 3pt belt isn't usuable.
Old 04-18-2006, 07:46 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by bnewport
The BKs are height adjustable on the front only. The problem is that rear isn't height adjustable so this doesn't let me adjust the belt angle for my shoulders and my helmet is uncomfortably close to the roll bar protection so my head would support the roof if I roll over.

If I could adjust it on the rear then it'd be possible. The problem with these side mounts and the 996 sliders is that the 996 sliders use a 4 pin lock thats above the level of the slider. This means the side brackets need to be taller so the bottom of the seat clears the pins on the sides. This complicates life further as now the seat belt receptacle can't be pushed through the lap belt hole so the 3pt belt isn't usuable.
I believe using the Recaro Adapter+Slider kit with the Recaro Sidemounts will fix this issue.

Are you in Newport Beach (CA?) by any chance? I think we have a spare Recaro slider and side mount we can use to compare with your GT3 seats then take a picture. We are off the 405/110 behind the Carson IKEA.

Let me know!
Old 04-18-2006, 08:44 PM
bnewport
Racer

Nah,
I'm in Minnesota. The main problem with the setup is the Porsche 996 sliders which force the tall seat plates. I guess my gripe is that I have not seen a setup that just bolts in to the car. I've tried a few kits since last fall and the only ones that I was happy with were Porsche or Porsche + BK.

If you're more than around 5ft 6/7 then the BK 907x + porsche 996 sliders are too tall. The GT3 ones are perfect. The BK strips + recaro sliders and plates should also work but to tell the truth, in the end I'm now sick of trying stuff that SHOULD work hence the GT3 seats which do work I think the GT3 seats use the 993 sliders with 996 mounting hardware. They fit perfect, they have the rear spike etc.

That said if you put your seats on a floor with a tape measure standing up beside it, I'll do the same and we can compare.

Thanks
Old 04-18-2006, 08:47 PM
Advanced

Nah,
I'm in Minnesota. The main problem with the setup is the Porsche 996 sliders which force the tall seat plates. I guess my gripe is that I have not seen a setup that just bolts in to the car. I've tried a few kits since last fall and the only ones that I was happy with were Porsche or Porsche + BK.

If you're more than around 5ft 6/7 then the BK 907x + porsche 996 sliders are too tall. The GT3 ones are perfect. The BK strips + recaro sliders and plates should also work but to tell the truth, in the end I'm now sick of trying stuff that SHOULD work hence the GT3 seats which do work I think the GT3 seats use the 993 sliders with 996 mounting hardware. They fit perfect, they have the rear spike etc.

That said if you put your seats on a floor with a tape measure standing up beside it, I'll do the same and we can compare.

Thanks
Sounds good! I'll see what I can do from my side and post some pictures up!

-daniel
Old 04-19-2006, 02:36 PM
Advanced

Hey Billy,

Here are some pictures of the PP with Recaro Side + 996 adapters. I'm curious as to how the BK setup compares.

Side View

Bottom of the base to the bottom of the seat, front.

Front View:
Old 04-19-2006, 03:30 PM
penguinking
Burning Brakes

interesting...any height figures for other seats as well?
Old 04-19-2006, 03:32 PM
Advanced

Nope, not on hand. The electronically adjustable ones (Style,Sport,Trend) doesn't have this height issue.
Old 04-19-2006, 04:20 PM
bnewport
Racer

Did you bend out the recaro slider arm, I found it is too narrow for the 996 slider spacing.

Which components are you using exactly?
Old 04-19-2006, 04:54 PM
Advanced

Did you bend out the recaro slider arm, I found it is too narrow for the 996 slider spacing.

Which components are you using exactly?
Not exactly sure what you mean... the Recaro 996 Adapter comes with the slider in a single kit. This Adapter+Slider kit is used on all Recaro's, from high end seats to race buckets. There was no need to adjust the slider arms.

We then attached the added the Racing Seat Sidemounts + Seat onto the adapter and took pictures of it.
Old 04-19-2006, 06:56 PM
Carrera Mike
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

BNewport,

Thanks for the valuable info. I have been curious about those two seats. You just saved me and a bunch of other listers time!
Old 04-19-2006, 07:06 PM
bnewport
Racer

Here's the shots with a ruler of my GT3 and PP/BK 907x seats.

http://www.devwebsphere.com/photos/p.../dsc00629.html

Your mounts don't have spikes on the back?

Glad to help Mike, but this hasn't been a cheap learning experience for me
Old 04-19-2006, 08:22 PM
Advanced

Thumbs up

Here's the shots with a ruler of my GT3 and PP/BK 907x seats.

http://www.devwebsphere.com/photos/p.../dsc00629.html

Your mounts don't have spikes on the back?

Glad to help Mike, but this hasn't been a cheap learning experience for me
Billy,

There are small guiding spikes in the rear but nothing that will affect the height of the chair.

Does your spikes in the back make your adapters float even higher?

It seems that the PP with BK Brackets the seats were about 1" higher than the Recaro setup. However it isn't just the actualy height of the seat that matters; the angle of the seat is just as important. Unfortunately the BK adapters didn't allow for you to adjust your rear angle so that could have been a big issue.

I wish I had known of this sooner. I would have been able to send you an adapter/bracket/sidemounts and tried to help you from our side.

Like everyone else here I appreciate the information that you have provided us.

Quick Reply: Porsche GT3 seat vs Recaro Pole Position review