996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Vivid Racing Superchargers Project 996 - Full Details Inside

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2006, 11:26 PM
evolvedaz
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Man I thought I would have much more interest and questions...any opinions?
Old 04-20-2006, 12:50 AM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dan,

I think it's cool that you marketed the product the way you did here.

But it's really nothing ground breaking. Slapping on superchargers is a common thing. And the power increase is great, but nothing that will put fear into the hearts of Turbo owners.

I'd figure if someone is willing to spend the kind of dough to put an SC on a Carrera regular, then they'd already pony up for a factory Turbo.

The sound is too Mustang like for me. I actually love the way the N/A car with sport exhaust sounds.

Just my humble $.50
Old 04-20-2006, 01:59 AM
karlooz
Addict
Rennlist Member

what i can't get over is the TPC SC whine. it's pretty loud and not even at full load. it's actually louder than the exhaust. some ppl might like this though. JMHO
Old 04-20-2006, 12:08 PM
gravedgr
Rennlist Member

Received 436 Likes on 219 Posts

When I had my MINI, we added a CAI and drilled holes in the airbox to increase the sound of the SC whine. Pure music.
Old 04-20-2006, 12:38 PM
Mr. C4
Drifting

Sounds like my electric RC car.
Old 04-20-2006, 03:26 PM
bowmanm98
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dan this isn't directed toward you but the price of this kit is way high. 10k for an eaton blower is ridiculous. EVERY other sports car has a kit for 1/2 that. Why does it cost so much? Because it's a "Porsche"? If it was 5k I would do it in a heartbeat. Even the Evo kit is a vortech supercharger. The vortech kits with the same exact blower is 5k for a mustang with a cooler and tuning software. Why do they cost double?
Old 04-20-2006, 04:25 PM
karlooz
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bowmanm98
Dan this isn't directed toward you but the price of this kit is way high. 10k for an eaton blower is ridiculous. EVERY other sports car has a kit for 1/2 that. Why does it cost so much? Because it's a "Porsche"? If it was 5k I would do it in a heartbeat. Even the Evo kit is a vortech supercharger. The vortech kits with the same exact blower is 5k for a mustang with a cooler and tuning software. Why do they cost double?

dude, it's the porsche tax. if you haven't realized this yet, ya gotta pay to play when it comes to porsche parts AND service.

the increase is unbelievable. you are right, the parts themselves should be the same price as offerings for different cars, BMW, audi, civic but the porsche tuners will always blame it on development

the same vfengineering vortec SC kit for the vwRS32 with basically the same SC unit is 6K and 10K for a porsche. both are giac tuned, both have VF roto molded parts yadda yadda but the porsche kit has the porsche tax included GRRRRRR

ok, off of my soapbox now
Old 04-20-2006, 04:51 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 85 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by vandereydt
Dan, please forgive me for asking a stupid question.
I am looking at buying a 2001 996 C2 tip, low mileage 25K km, and in the process I would be contemplating installing a supercharger, being in Europe I am looking at RUF or Gemballa.
But a question to you as a professional, do I need to upgrade the brakes, the suspension and can the gearbox handle the extra power.
The car has the same rear spoiler as yours the front one is a different on but also incorporates a third air intake for a cooler.

Great sound on the car and superb video congratulations

Regards
ROnny

Ronny, I would think that the tranny would be ok with the kit. We've done a good few Tiptronics with the EVO SuperCharger so I'd guess it'd be fine with the TPC as well? The tranny isn't the same one as in the Turbo, which is a shame, since it can take upwards of 700HP
Old 04-20-2006, 05:09 PM
bowmanm98
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by karlooz
but the porsche kit has the porsche tax included GRRRRRR
Ok good, it's not just me. It's very frustrating because I would like to sc my car.

On a positve note, Dan your car looks amazing and I like looks and sound of the blower. 434 horsepower on a 2900lb curb weight car is scratching new Z06 and Ford GT territory. 6.5 hp/wt ratio is amazing and probably so fun to drive. Plus having all that torque down low is awesome. Having some tire shredding torque in a carrera has to be a good time. I like how you have done your homework and come up with those cooling solutions. Is the intercooler air to air or air to water?

BTW the black aeros with the yellow stoptechs looks so nice.
Old 04-21-2006, 01:47 PM
evolvedaz
Former Vendor

Awesome! I did not say I invented the space station, but who else is using a TPC kit??? For those that like the car, thanks!
Old 04-22-2006, 12:35 AM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i love your car man!
Old 04-22-2006, 10:55 AM
yvesatlanta
Racer

Received 52 Likes on 22 Posts

Nice project ! Love the sound of the car.

The problem of charging Porsche tax is defintely with the manufacturer, not with Vivid. Their prices actually seem very competitive.
Old 04-22-2006, 03:33 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Ahh yes, the good old porsche tax!

Quick Reply: Vivid Racing Superchargers Project 996 - Full Details Inside