Sponsored by:

X73 + MPSC + new Mid-Ohio = AWESOME

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2006, 04:04 PM
Palting
Nordschleife Master

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts
Default X73 + MPSC + new Mid-Ohio = AWESOME

Just spent the last 3 days at Mid-Ohio. Rained Friday early morning, gorgeous afternoon and rest of the weekend. I promised feedback on the X73 performance at the track, but I can't separate it from the MPSC nor from the new paving at Mid-Ohio. All three together was an awesome combination. Tons of grip, both from the track and the MPSC, that I just kept going faster at the corners with every run. The X73 kept the C4S planted and flat, with very minimal movement from full brake to WOT, no bobbing even with quick left-right -left transitions. The C4S is now even easier to throttle steer/rotate. I was running with the advanced and instructor group on Friday, with track dedicated cars and race cars, and I am happy to say I held my own in the C4S. I passed several, was passed only by a few. My only regret was that I did not bring my lap timer. I am sure the X73, the MPSC, and the new paving allowed me to knock off several seconds from my best time.

Here's a few pics I though I'd share with you all.

The C4S in it's element: a racetrack, rain, and in the wet!!

MPSC's are great rain tires. Despite the wet track, could still generate enough G's to lift the inside wheels.

Reverse camber turn 12. They got rid of the ruble strips, but they kept the reverse camber.
Old 04-16-2006, 06:21 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Not sure I would say the MPSC is a "great" rain tires. They are not and you will get into ALOT of trouble in rain conditions. A wet track is not the same as rain.

Nonetheless, looks like a great time at mid ohio. Thanks for sharing the pics. Those are some great action shots!
Old 04-16-2006, 07:30 PM
Palting
Nordschleife Master

Heh-heh . You're right, Dell. I was taking artistic license, but I was still impressed with how it performed in the wet, and with that pic with all that water streaming from the tires and car. Standing water or pouring rain would be a whole another matter.

Thanks for the compliment on the pics. I had second thoughts about the last one. That's the dirtiest C4S I have ever seen!
Old 04-16-2006, 07:32 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Ah come on! That dirt adds character
Old 04-16-2006, 07:39 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Palting,

What were the ambient temps? I think that ambient temps are far more of a factor with MPSC than wet or dry.

Plus, I really want you to write up your reference marks now that the concrete patches are gone. No more connecting the dots I take it, but worth it since the bumps are gone, right?

Show us some love and let us know what it is like. I will be there at the end of the month . . .
Old 04-16-2006, 11:30 PM
Palting
Nordschleife Master

Ambient temps ranged from 60's to 70's. Perfect days for DE except the rain early Friday. You could easily feel the grip go up as the temps went up.

Yup, all the old marks are gone. But, surprisingly, I could still see them in my minds eye. I can't quite explain it, but I'm sure you'll know what I mean when you get there. Plus, all the other technical characters of M-O are still there. The rough spots have all been smoothened out, but, the dips that catch you, cambers that either slide you or catch you, humps that rotate you, ramps that brake you...they are all still there. The patches I miss most, I think, are on turn one. It's the one turn where I can't see the apex. The patch that signaled the turn-in I've now replaced by the footing of the bridge, and I aim about a car width away from the start of the divider. You'll see the apex as you come abreast of the divider. You miss it, no biggie. That little hill at the end is still there to catch you and point you in the right direction. Be warned about the new inside curbing all over most of the track, they colored them red for a reason. Those suckers look 3 feet tall with maybe a 45 dgree angle. They are not friendly at all, and will bounce you if you try to run over them.

Have fun at the end of the month! BTW, there were several racing 944's driven by instructors and racers. I am elated to report I do not have to look for an outfit to match Riad's purse .
Old 04-16-2006, 11:34 PM
Sanjeevan
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome pictures man, glad you are liking the X73. Did you find the tires to be wearing evenly,..what kind of camber are you running.
Old 04-16-2006, 11:42 PM
Palting
Nordschleife Master

Hi, jeeva.
Too early to tell on the wear. I had it set to the stock camber recommended by Porsche for the X73. Wear is not as bad as with the stock C4S, definitely, but there's a slight suspicion it may need just a touch more negative camber.

BTW, I got a handling tip for you for the C4S/X73/MPSC combo. Turn in about a foot or two early. It will feel like it will plow wide for about two heartbeats. Stay steady and just modulate the gas, and as the VC heats up during those two heartbeats, the front will start coming in and the rear will start to slide out. If you tried to correct the initial plow, you'll have to unwind the wheel. Otherwise, just hold the wheel steady and throttle steer. You'll also get to WOT earlier than most. Doing the above not only will shorten the distance you travel from turn-in to track out, but will give you higher exit speed to boot. Just be carefull no one's in front of you, 'cuz you'll run right over them .
Old 04-17-2006, 12:46 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Dude, I was at Pocono on Friday with the same setup, same result. My car was so planted in the ball it was unreal, my buddy behind me in a 993TT with cups and a stock suspension simply could not keep up in the corners or on the ball where I was nearly flat at 120mph, he had to back out. With the aerokit, mine was literally sucked flat on the pavement, at 120mph in the ball my front lip was an inch off the pavement. As far as tire wear goes, my rears are at the wear bars now, totally even wear across the board.
Old 04-17-2006, 11:07 AM
Palting
Nordschleife Master

Oh no!! Now I have to get an aerokit! . Seriously, though, I like the "stock" look of the C4S. Almost everyone in my run group had aerodynamics, wings, and whatnot, either OEM or aftermarket. Kinda nice to be unique, and still pass those with wings.

Chris, either you have a little more negative camber than the recommended settings, or we have different driving styles. I am seriously contemplating adding a bit more negative camber prior to Watkins Glen next month. OTOH, it will only be my second trip to Watkins, so I may not be comfortable enough to slide the car around as much as I do at M-O and won't need the negative camber.
Old 04-17-2006, 11:18 AM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,042 Likes on 535 Posts

Palting,
I saw you a couple of times heading out on the track but didn't get the chance to say hello.
I was in a black 02 C2 in the instructor run group.

First time on the track with this car and had to run street tires. A little issue with the rear fitment on the track wheels. However, the PSS9's seemed to work well. The PSM is a royal pain.
Old 04-17-2006, 11:26 AM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

Guys, How was the surface this weekend. I passed on last weekend's BMW CCA event and had plans this weekend but I heard the surface was just completed Wednesday night before the BMW event and was still REALLY green their first day and started to be better on Sunday.
Old 04-17-2006, 11:57 AM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

What's the cost of the X73? Was it done by Porsche?
Old 04-17-2006, 01:40 PM
Palting
Nordschleife Master

Alan, I dropped by your garage Sat a few times, but I could never catch you there. You must have been busy instructing. Were you there Fri? I turn PSM off. Even then, it takes a few laps before it figures out you REALLY want to slide, and resets to a more tolerant level. After those laps, that little light stops blinking, unless you step on the brakes, or get too aggressive in making the car jump at Madness.

The track is cured. They were pretty **** about tire hardness, checking everyone, everytime, all the time, with a durometer on Friday. By Saturday afternoon and Sunday, although the organizers had us line up early in the false grid before the hot pit to have the tires checked, no one was checking. Best check with the organizers before you bring non-DOT tires, though. Track is glass smooth, and sticky.

Cost of the X73 varies. Yes, it is made by Porsche specifically for the C4S, and another part number for the TT. Not so sure about the cab and structural rigidity, though. Chris can probably let you know about some great deals, which usually come around this time. I was impatient and got mne off sale from the local dealer, at $2500. Had the dealership install, align, balance, plus oil and filter, plus some other maintenance issues. Total bill came to $4K (ouch!). When I find the bill, I can break it down for you specifically for the X73 and install.
Old 04-17-2006, 02:34 PM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

Thanks!

Rob

Quick Reply: X73 + MPSC + new Mid-Ohio = AWESOME