Sponsored by:

coolant smell mystery on 996 ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2006, 09:36 AM
Gregor1
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default coolant smell mystery on 996 ?

[IMG]C:\Documents and Settings\Aeroyacht\My Documents\My Pictures\Private\Cars\Gregors 911 Porsche\web[/IMG] Dear Friends...Happy Easter to all !

Recently under hard driving I smell what seems to be coolant from my trusted 2000 996. I am not loosing any coolant, checked all reservoirs, under the car for leaks, or split hoses. The exhaust tips are clean. Its a mystery and the car runs as great as ever.

Can anyone give me a hint.

Thanks

Gregor

1980, 911 silver
1990, 964 stone grey
2000, 996 arctic silver

[IMG]C:\Documents and Settings\Aeroyacht\My Documents\My Pictures\Private\Cars\Gregors 911 Porsche\web[/IMG]
Old 04-16-2006, 10:27 AM
TCR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am experiencing the same thing, and have had my 996 pressure checked at two different dealers.
The first dealer said that the expansion tank needed to be replaced. The second stated that they tested it for 20 minutes, both hot and cold, with no loss of pressure.
Old 04-16-2006, 11:11 AM
Gregor1
Rennlist Member

Where is the expansion tank located ?
Is it the filler tank with cap on left side of engine bay ?
Old 04-16-2006, 11:22 AM
marlinspike
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Gregor1
Where is the expansion tank located ?
Is it the filler tank with cap on left side of engine bay ?
Yes.
Old 04-16-2006, 11:27 AM
TD in DC
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you are under warranty, INSIST that they swap out this tank. Is the tank cloudy in appearance? If so, it may well fail soon. This failure can really leave you stranded. So, even if you are not under warranty, you might want to consider replacement if the tank is cloudy and you are smelling coolant. Of course, could be any number of other things, but this is a fairly common issue.
Old 04-16-2006, 03:14 PM
Nicolaasdb
Drifting

are you sure it is the smell of coolant?? When I just got my P...I smelled a mixture of coolant and rubber from the drivers rear side wheel area....very worrying smell....I searched for leaks, but found nothing...researched the smell issue...and it seemed to be normal....the smell kind of went away, but sometimes when I drive the P hard..the smell is back, it still worries me, but I put almost 10K miles on the car within the last 6 months and it (knock on wood) drives like a charm...
Old 04-16-2006, 04:32 PM
nycebo
Three Wheelin'

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

I have noticed that smell as well occasionally and when I take the car in to finally swap out the winter tires, I am definitely going to have the expansion tank vigorously examined and more than likely replaced.
Old 04-16-2006, 04:53 PM
bet
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

First check the part number on the coolant tank. If it ends in 00 replace it with the part that ends in 01. The old style cap does not seal properly and can contribute to this smell of coolant.

Now I will share my experience. I have had this smell on and off for about 6-9 months. Diligent checking revealed no leaks for a long time. However about a month ago I was poking around with a small flexy light and noticed some crusting on the side of the coolant tank way on the back side. I also had the outdated part number on my coolant cap but had put off getting the newer one until I had a big order of parts (local dealer wanted $29 for the cap). I ordered parts for my 60k service and got the cap. The smell disappeared after for about a week and the crusting did not return. However, in the last week the crusting is back and now I had on a couple of occasions some coolant on the floor. I ordered a replacement tank yesterday.

From talking with others it seems it is not uncommon for the tank to "go slowing" so the fact you are smelling coolant may be an indication your tank is starting to develop problems. Diligently inspect the out side of the tank for residue (you will have to feel around on parts because you can’t visually inspect it all). You will also notice from the various pictures of cracked tanks that the cracks can be very small and under the tank in places where it is impossible to see or inspect. A very small leak will drop coolant on the exhaust where it my not make to the floor.
Old 04-16-2006, 06:55 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Originally Posted by bet
However about a month ago I was poking around with a small flexy light and noticed some crusting on the side of the coolant tank way on the back side. I also had the outdated part number on my coolant cap but had put off getting the newer one until I had a big order of parts (local dealer wanted $29 for the cap). I ordered parts for my 60k service and got the cap. The smell disappeared after for about a week and the crusting did not return. However, in the last week the crusting is back and now I had on a couple of occasions some coolant on the floor. I ordered a replacement tank yesterday.

From talking with others it seems it is not uncommon for the tank to "go slowing" so the fact you are smelling coolant may be an indication your tank is starting to develop problems. Diligently inspect the out side of the tank for residue (you will have to feel around on parts because you can’t visually inspect it all). You will also notice from the various pictures of cracked tanks that the cracks can be very small and under the tank in places where it is impossible to see or inspect. A very small leak will drop coolant on the exhaust where it my not make to the floor.
bingo. The little crusty stuff is the visual evidence of what you are smelling. I consider this to be the early warning that allows you to swap out your tank before you develop a real problem.
Old 04-16-2006, 11:35 PM
kc996
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

At a DE in March I pulled in to get some space away from a train of cars. I stopped and smoke spewed from the engine. It turns out my mechanic who did the pre-inspection overfilled my coolant. I had a service manager from a Porsche dealership who was at the track look at it, check the cap and drain some fluid. He said your reservoir is probably cracked. We drained the fluid enough that it did not happen again. I said you sure my coolant reservoir is cracked? He gave me a look and said they keep a stockpile at the dealer because so many 996s come in with cracked coolant reservoirs. He said you usually don't have runoff or fluid leaking unless the engine gets really hot (like at a DE). He said it's a pain in the neck to change also, you actually have to drop the engine a couple of inches, takes about 3-4 hours.
k
Old 04-16-2006, 11:41 PM
marlinspike
Burning Brakes

I was also told at the dealer (just yesterday in fact) that on the 01-04 996's you have to drop the engine a couple inches to replace the expansion tank, but according to Orient express (and it makes sense looking at the part), while it may take a little wiggling, there is no actual need to drop the engine a couple inches to do it. Also, they charge 4 labor hours but I don't think ANYBODY will try to claim that's how long it takes them. In my experience, divide labor hours by 4 to get actual hours worked with German cars.
Old 04-17-2006, 10:50 AM
nycebo
Three Wheelin'

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

I'm going in soon to have my expansion tank and coolant cap fully inspected. I'll get a sense of what these things cost to change...and how long...and what the procedure is. However, since I have a 2000, it won't answer the 2002+ cars.
Old 04-17-2006, 11:12 AM
TCR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nycebo
I'm going in soon to have my expansion tank and coolant cap fully inspected. I'll get a sense of what these things cost to change...and how long...and what the procedure is. However, since I have a 2000, it won't answer the 2002+ cars.
Please post your findings. I have a 99 CPO, and was told that this repair was not covered. The dealer quoted me something like $750 to replace. YIKES!

I am having a difficult time digesting the fact that this known repair issue is not covered by a Porsche warranty.

Last edited by TCR; 04-17-2006 at 05:35 PM.
Old 04-17-2006, 11:15 AM
marlinspike
Burning Brakes

I'd be surprised to hear it's not covered by the CPO warranty since I was told it is covered by the warranty that comes with the car.
Old 04-17-2006, 12:29 PM
Joe2000C4Cab
Pro

Had it done a few years ago, cost me something like $650 in total.

Quick Reply: coolant smell mystery on 996 ?