996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

996 RUF Kompressor (supercharger)

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2006, 06:33 AM
vandereydt
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You are right Jon, I definitely want a cab. Taht is a must, got an C4s 2004 offered for cheap money but a coupe and I had to say no thank you.

And a good condition TT is MORE MORE expensive

Regards
Ronny
Old 04-19-2006, 02:53 AM
10 GT3
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ronny,

First you can't just bolt on the Ruf compressor. It is not just sold as a kit. It is sold as a conversion. Your car will need to go to Ruf for the conversion. Unlike EVOMS, they remove and disassemble the engine to install thicker head gaskets to lower compression. On a standard Carrera, it lowers from 11.3:1 to 9.7:1. They then add 8.8 lbs (EVOMS is only 6 lbs) of boost. Other elements of their kit is substantually more sophisticated than the EVOMS kit. Their intercoolers are built into new intake manifolds that replace the factory units. This allows Ruf to use the stock airbox, instead ot being forced to suck hot engine air. Sport cats are also included to reduce the exhaust back pressure. So, keep in mind that although it is double the price, it includes more components, all labor and a warranty on the car that you are not going to get elsewhere.

To be honest, if you don't already own the car and are looking to spend the extra money, why not just look at a Turbo instead or move up an 02'+? With the compessor, EVOMS or TPC kits; 3.4l's make about 50 hp less than 3.6l's. The 3.4l will only be on par with a stock Turbo, while the 3.6l will be more equal to a Stage 1-2 Turbo. A nice low mileage 01' Turbo will be in the 60's today.
Old 04-19-2006, 11:43 AM
bnewport
Racer

Plus, you can get a decent warranty on a TT. The RUF SC seems to be 2yrs/20k miles and the engine needs to be < 40k miles, engines > 50k need to be replaced which adds to cost, engines between 40 and 50 can be fixed apparently. That said, u figure, u can trust RUF, plus resale on a 996 + RUF is likely higher than a 996 + Evo, no?
Old 04-19-2006, 12:58 PM
vandereydt
Track Day

Talking to TT or not to TT

Gents thanks for the wise words, indeed to TT or not to TT is the question.
And thats a matter of money, you see I can do a very good deal on this C2, plus the car has low mileage 25K km.
But even then as we speak I am having a look at tt cars. But I definitely want a cab and am not sure whether the early 996TT came as cabs?

Regarding RUF, well the conditions to install the RUF SC on this car are favorable (low mileage) and then theres the resale.
But do I read this right that a RUF SC will only last about 20K miles. That somehow worries me, thats 1 to 1.5 years max since I use the car as my daily ride.

Of course one could say drive this C2 as it is for two years, sell it for the same money you bought it for now and then upgrade to a 2003 or 2004 996 TT cab.

I still have a bit of time to reflect on these matters.

Thanks for all the comments they are much appreciated

Regards
Ronny

Quick Reply: 996 RUF Kompressor (supercharger)