Sponsored by:

The Break-In Learning Curve

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2002, 01:15 AM
Craig.
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post The Break-In Learning Curve

There is a school of thought that the 2000 mile break-in period recommended by Porsche is not really for the car itself, but rather for the driver. I don't know if this is true or not, but I have come to believe that, regardless of engine related benefits, the break-in period is a good thing for the driver -- particularly a driver such as myself with limited relevant experience. In my attempt to comply with the recommended break-in period, I have driven my new car carefully and cautiously. In this careful and cautious mode, I have been able to focus and concentrate on the unique characteristics of my car without the distraction of potential hazards associated with more aggressive driving. I have been able to study my car and learn its personality. I have been able to explore and discover the dynamics of my car in ways that would not have been possible had I been pushing it from the start.

There is no doubt that the break-in period has been a great tool for me. During the past two weeks, I have gained invaluable knowledge about my new car and I feel comfortable, confident and competent behind the wheel.

Last night, with 1100+ miles on my car, I found myself driving through a local canyon at 9:00 pm. Although I have not completely finished the break-in, I couldn't resist the opportunity and I let the car go. Holy smoke!!! The car glided through the turns at an unbelievable pace, yet with effortless grace and stability. The tires were in complete harmony with the road -- no swaying or jarring -- just smooth transitions from turn to turn. A light tap on the gas and I immediately passed any car that I came upon. The power under the hood is absolutely awesome, and with the knowledge I have acquired during the break-in, I was able to unleash this power smoothly and competently. It was magnificent -- the car lived up to my every expectation.

I don't know what Porsche's true motivation is for the recommended break-in period, but I know it was/is beneficial for me. I have, and continue to, learn tons about my car that would have taken me far longer to discover had I jumped on the car from the start.

Craig (L.A.)
Old 09-25-2002, 01:49 AM
willwest
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
True modivations and break-in periods.

I picked up my 01 C4 at the factory last year. Virtually zero miles on the car, I planned to drive it maybe 2000 miles before returning it to the factory for shipment home.

The car will never again be on the autobahn nor on those curving mountain roads. If anything ever breaks I hope there is no ECU "memory" of that first 2000 miles.
Old 10-15-2002, 06:50 PM
Porscherenter
Instructor

Why does my 1999 manual say just 1000 miles for a break-in? Did Porsche up it?
Old 10-16-2002, 02:57 AM
dtsp
Intermediate

Up to 2,000 mi. for 2002

Quick Reply: The Break-In Learning Curve