Sponsored by:

Engine shut off while downshifting

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2002, 07:47 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 203 Posts
Post Engine shut off while downshifting

Hi there and good day! I went to Thunderhill for last fri/sunday and Sunday wqas just a slew of weird things going on with my car. First off-my check engine came on on the second session so took it in after one lap and saw my coolant level was way below minimum so disconnected battery and added coolant and next 5 sessions without a hitch in 100 plus degree weather. But one thing was a problem was that day going to the track and while dring the track sessions when I downshift from 4th to third etc., engine shut off completely(3 times) so end up no steering control and luckily at Thunderhill nothing to hit but it has never shut off before til yesterday(also on the highway). It starts up afterwards and its running well- no bad sounds or major leaks anywhere. I'm getting it checked out but wanted to know if anyone had this kinda problem? Regards. Mike
Old 09-23-2002, 07:58 PM
os993
Rennlist Member

Received 404 Likes on 250 Posts
Ah, you must have been the red 996 I saw on Sunday. I was in a polar silver 993 coupe. Too bad you didn't come over and see us...we had a small group of 993 Rennlister's parked together. There was also a Boxster S dude with us - lots of fun, these guys.

As for your problem, I suspect it's a faulty Unichip! I had a unichip for 1 week and the car woud cut off while I was driving!! I returned the piece of $%^$! Tricky, because you only experienced this on the track. Can you reproduce it? Were you running the 100 octane program?

Just one possibility, I guess...keep us updated..
Old 09-23-2002, 09:23 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Yep it's not hard to notice my car off the track when it's red-lol. I don't believe the Unichip has nething to do with it because gone many DE's prior without that happening. Boy it was a hot day. The Greenflag is totally different layout then what Thunderhill DE's do ie with Greenflag no chicanes or cones to speeak of-it's a free for all. It's like the first time on a unknown track-lol. Was impressed by the level of experience the drivers had in red group but the green group is goddarn hardcore racers. Oleg if you guys plan to do the Laguna Seca one with Greenflag-be a pleasure to meet up and all and partcipate. Regards. Mike
Old 09-23-2002, 10:35 PM
Loren
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'll bet on MAF sensor.
Also, sounds like you may be a candidate for the 3rd radiator (if you are going to run the track on 100 plus degree days).
Old 09-23-2002, 10:50 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Ughhh... Loren. The dreaded MAF sensor. Would that do that kinda thing-kill the engine and all? It was a weird Sunday. Mike P.S.-I'm going to get the radiator because I'm bored and need to add more crap to my car-never ending.
Old 09-27-2002, 09:29 PM
seggy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Mike! Let me know about ur radiator install...I'm also interested.

My normal cruising temp on the freeway jumped up quite a bit (too bad there's no digital gauge so I can't give any number) after I installed the Unichip.

Do others who installed the unichip also notice a big jump in coolant temps? I assumed it's normal since more hp = more heat right?
Old 09-28-2002, 07:03 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Seggy- the Unichip never got temps to go up at all. On Sunday just didn't check my coolant(dumb) and it was well below minimum. After adding to proper levels-all is well. Drive alot of miles on your car dude so we can go Nov.24(Sunday) at Thunderhill(www.tracknutz.com) . Regards. Mike

Quick Reply: Engine shut off while downshifting