Sponsored by:

Thermo-Tec Insulating Wrap

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2006, 06:20 PM
eurotrashed
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thermo-Tec Insulating Wrap

Anyone try this on the headers? Just curious, I keep seeing it in catalogs but I don't know anyone that uses it, (that might tell me something right there), but I thought I would uncork it on the Rennlisters and see what you say.

http://www.automotion.com/productpag...rap+by+Cool+It
Old 04-13-2006, 06:52 PM
penguinking
Burning Brakes

i have used a similar wrap on my subaru's exhaust, but not the headers, only the part immediately after the turbo. it works, noticably, less ambient heat in the engine bay.

do a GOOD job of wrapping the headers ie equal spacing between wraps, no exposed areas - that will reduce chances of cracking the headers. in addition, get high-temp exhaust spray paint - a few coats will help seal the wrapping and keep small particles from flying off. that wrapping tape feels like burlap but worse. USE gloves, otherwise you will get fiberglass splinters. hope this helps, even though not porsche-specific
Old 04-13-2006, 08:19 PM
eurotrashed
Instructor

Interesting, thanks for the response. Might be a fun weekend thing to test out later.
Old 04-13-2006, 10:45 PM
penguinking
Burning Brakes

yeah, if the headers come off easily then its something fun to try. i noticed quicker spooling of the turbo and less heat soaking in traffic.
Old 04-14-2006, 01:22 AM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Over the years I've heard of problems with these type of wraps trapping moisture and causing premature corrosion issues. And, for a normally-aspirated motor I wouldn't expect any quantifiable performance gains. If you are looking for a fun weekend project try a ceramic coating, places like Caswell plating sell them to the DIYer. Or you could just send everything off to someone like Jet-Hot, they shouldn't be too expensive?

Quick Reply: Thermo-Tec Insulating Wrap