Sponsored by:

Microbrew Motor Oils

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2006, 03:08 PM
The_Phantom
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Microbrew Motor Oils

I've noticed that a lot of what I'll call the microbrewed motor oils like Redline, Amsoil, Lucas and Neo are not on the Porsche approved list of motor oils. Does anyone know if they were tested, failed and thus not approved by Porsche or is it that they were never tested in the first place...?

This is the website which I got the list of approved oils from:

http://www.landsharkoz.com/tt/tt_pao.htm
Old 04-12-2006, 03:36 PM
marlinspike
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 40 Posts

I doubt Amsoil would fail a test consider that's about all the 1/4 mile cars use (except ones sponsored by competitors). The other ones I don't know about.
Old 04-12-2006, 04:33 PM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 198 Posts

How about Lucas oil additive they have that cool little display and enough $$ to sponsor some nice cars and good size events ?
Old 04-12-2006, 07:48 PM
Kims996Cab
Racer

Originally Posted by Fishman
I've noticed that a lot of what I'll call the microbrewed motor oils like Redline, Amsoil, Lucas and Neo are not on the Porsche approved list of motor oils. Does anyone know if they were tested, failed and thus not approved by Porsche or is it that they were never tested in the first place...?
]
While the TSB (updated occasionally) lists specific oil products from individual oil companies, grouped by geographic region .... the owners' manual for my car does not.

It carries only the more common phrases like:

"Use only engine oils labeled as API SH or SJ, or ILSAC GF 1, or ACEA A3 (Europe) and viscosity of ....".

Although I am happy to use the specific oil that Porsche uses as a factory fill, it would be hard to imagine that any oil that meets the required viscosity and API ratings would not be fine in these cars. I would liken the "list of approved oils" to the N Rated tire issue. There are a number of tires that meet all the quality and peformance requirements of Porsche, but are not N Rated, for one reason or another.
Old 04-12-2006, 07:53 PM
djantlive
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When it comes to engine oil, I stick to facctory fill weight and brand. Given RMS is common, I'd not want to mess around and experiment.

I may consider aftermarket fluids for brake, transmission, differential.

I've used Lucas and Redline additives and I'm not impressed. Neo's tranny and differential are supposed to be good.
Old 04-12-2006, 08:00 PM
ebaker
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Another microbrew to consider is Cosworth. It's additive package rivals Redline.
Old 04-12-2006, 09:29 PM
The_Phantom
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by djantlive
...Given RMS is common, I'd not want to mess around and experiment...
Yeah, but given that RMS and smoke on start up are both so common, it kind of makes me wonder if a different oil wouldn't be better. Maybe zero weight has a way of seeping into the cylinders causing the smoke on startup that perhaps wouldn't happen with 15-50...?
Old 04-12-2006, 10:53 PM
brucem
Instructor

I just changed my oil with Amsoil 5-40 ... I know alot of hot rodders running it in their $30k motors and love it. Amsoil has done their research and seems work good!
Old 04-12-2006, 11:19 PM
bgiere
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

do a searh under oil...lots of facts,some hype,many opinions....you want to use a 0w/5w-40 in the 996...essential for proper variocam operation...many used oil analysis tests support the fact that this viscosity is the proper one and it holds up extremely well in extened oil change intervals.
Old 04-13-2006, 11:50 AM
The_Phantom
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by brucem
I just changed my oil with Amsoil 5-40 ... I know alot of hot rodders running it in their $30k motors and love it. Amsoil has done their research and seems work good!
It does sound good:

https://www.amsoil.com/StoreFront/afl.aspx

Quick Reply: Microbrew Motor Oils