Storing tires on wheels

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2006, 04:56 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by LVDell
I store my track wheels/tires on their side in a stack one on top of another. Can't imagine that there is evidence to either method being detrimental to the health of the tire. Also, I don't see the point in dropping the tire pressure so low either. I guess this is a "to each his own" kinda thing.
That is exactly how I store mine. I have never had a problem with this method......but maybe I'm burning them up on the track before they can go bad.......
Old 04-12-2006, 04:59 PM
aben8057
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a warranty claim on one of my tires and when filing a claim, they did ask about storage. They tested the psi, lot number and confirmed the reason for the damage. I informed them that the car is driven in the summer and stored in the winter. I did remove the tires during the winter but during the fall they remained on the car for some time. In actuality, the previous owner had the tires stored in the basement which is mfg non-accebtable conditions.

At the end I received 80% refund for the purchase which was acceptable. All I am saying is that I would rather go with the manufacturers recommended storage advise in case of warratny. Some of our tires arent exactly inexpensive so I would rather be safe.
Attached Images  
Old 04-12-2006, 05:00 PM
marlinspike
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 40 Posts

What if I roll them around in my garge every few days?
Honestly don't know, though when in doubt call the rubber manufacturers association. These guys have 20 page pamphlets on tire care that they hand out if you go to their office (well its been a while so maybe not anymore now that everybody's anti-K street).
Why not just get these and not worry about it
http://www.griotsgarage.com/catalog....3010&SKU=92302
Old 04-12-2006, 08:56 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

If you store them up right, you will gain 10 hp 'cuz the tires are accustomed to "standing" on one place and they are willing to stretch their legs and will "run" faster. However, if you store them laying flat, with one stacked on top of the other, they will corner better because they have had to strengthen their side walls in order to be able to hold the weight of the other tires. Either way, you can't lose!

In case you are not sure, this was my attempt at dry humor, and I was not the least bit serious!
Old 04-13-2006, 09:36 AM
nycebo
Three Wheelin'

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

What if I roll them around in my garge every few days?

Quick Reply: Storing tires on wheels