Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Why do idiots always have to park so close to my Pcar in a parking lot?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2006, 05:27 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Received 135 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by unklekraker
Well, if the description of shoe box is 2800sq ft, Single Story, 4 bed, 3 1/2 bath, "3 car garage" w/ home theater studio on a .5 acre lot....I will take my chance of staying here in CA. hehehehehehe! and still drive a Porsche in mid november and ocassionaly on mid Jan...yap, it's all worth it.....

BTW...that was my wish list. Got the Porsche already and the shoe box (townhouse) but still working on 3 car garage w/ 4bed and 3 1/2 bath
Congratulations on paying 3-4x the price you would pay for the same house on the East Coast!

California used to be an incredible place, sadly, over population killed it's charm and beauty - my wife was born there - she refuses to move back.

Driving the Porsche in January is nice, but personally, I prefer seasons.
Old 09-13-2006, 05:30 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Joe2000C4Cab
Hahahahaha...

Grew up in NE Philly, family has now spread out to Newtown, Jamison, Horsham, and Hatboro. I don't exactly live in a shoebox nor do I commute more than a max of 20 minutes either way to work BUT I WOULD DIE TO GET OUT OF THE BAY AREA! (Too bad I probably couldn't find any work back there and my wife would divorce me the first sign of snow or 100% humidity).

Actually, change the above "Hahahahah..." to "Wah! Wah! Wah!"

hehe.

I know your area well and I'm guessing you know Doylestown pretty well too.

We've been here almost 5 years and this areas is okay. Given the choice we would move back to New England - best place in the country we've had the opportunity to live!
Old 09-13-2006, 05:43 PM
AmirShaikh
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Me it's the opposite...

I used to live in Campbell, then in Mountain View...5 minutes to work. No traffic. Around here I work from home. However, the average joe commutes 1-2hrs to get into NYC. I can't tolerate that.

I agree with the shoebox thing...my friend just bought a 1100 sq/ft condo in Palo Alto off of University avenue for $950-ish. Other dude...bought a 2 bedroom townhome for $550-ish.

However, you can't beat the west coast weather! 24/7/365 Porsche Cab time! No winter tires...no hardtop.

And the opportunity to become rich is immense!

thanks,
Amir

Originally Posted by oreganet
We lived in South San Jose until the end of 1997. Like you I'd leave at ridiculously early hours to drive from S. SJ up to San Carlos. I'd put in a 12 hour day, then spend 90-120 minutes driving home (depending on how bad traffic was).

Eventually, we got tired of the long commutes, high cost of living and poor quality of life and moved to the east coast. We would never move back. It's no fun to live in a high priced shoebox and spend all your life stuck in traffic, even when you're driving a Porsche.

I now live 6 miles from work and have a house where my neighbors are not right on top of me.

Work hard. Play hard. Live a balanced life.
Old 09-13-2006, 05:46 PM
Joe2000C4Cab
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hehe.

I know your area well and I'm guessing you know Doylestown pretty well too.

We've been here almost 5 years and this areas is okay. Given the choice we would move back to New England - best place in the country we've had the opportunity to live!
I've been here 16 years ("Oh, I'll try out California for a year or two." is what I said ). When I'm back, I drown my sorrows at Docs Inn (I still call it Reese's though...).

I've learned to *almost* copy the east coast pizza but the lack of good locally made rolls kills any hoagies or steaks I make. And, what I wouldn't do for a good soft pretzel! (ONE WITHOUT BUTTER ON IT! )

I bet you don't drive your p-car to that SBUX in Doylestown, eh? That tiny parking lot is a bear! Dtown and the surrounding area is beautiful. You don't know how many times I've drooled thinking of what it would be like to drive my 996 down Rushland Rd/Swamp Rd/Penns Park road!

Enjoy life back east! I'm jealous!

Old 09-13-2006, 05:47 PM
AmirShaikh
Instructor

Congratulations on paying 3-4x the price you would pay for the same house on the East Coast!

California used to be an incredible place, sadly, over population killed it's charm and beauty - my wife was born there - she refuses to move back.

The "seasons" thing..hear that a lot from people living in Cali for a long time.

thanks,
AMir
Old 09-13-2006, 05:52 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Joe2000C4Cab
I've been here 16 years ("Oh, I'll try out California for a year or two." is what I said ). When I'm back, I drown my sorrows at Docs Inn (I still call it Reese's though...).

I've learned to *almost* copy the east coast pizza but the lack of good locally made rolls kills any hoagies or steaks I make. And, what I wouldn't do for a good soft pretzel! (ONE WITHOUT BUTTER ON IT! )

I bet you don't drive your p-car to that SBUX in Doylestown, eh? That tiny parking lot is a bear! Dtown and the surrounding area is beautiful. You don't know how many times I've drooled thinking of what it would be like to drive my 996 down Rushland Rd/Swamp Rd/Penns Park road!

Enjoy life back east! I'm jealous!

It's pretty here, but yeah, you have to be careful where you park - hence my strong feelings about where I park my car.

My understanding is that this place has changed a lot since you left here... lots of development in the last 10 years. Thankfully you can still get out into farming areas within a 15 minute drive.

Nothing beats tootling around country roads at high speed... well, until you hit a cow/deer at 85mph.
Old 09-13-2006, 05:56 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by AmirShaikh
The "seasons" thing..hear that a lot from people living in Cali for a long time.

thanks,
AMir

It was funny... my first Christmas in California was bizarre. We were visiting my in-laws outside Sacramento and it was 85 degrees on Christmas day. That's just wrong. I love seasons. To me the spring and the fall are the best times of year.

The only California season is the sun and concrete season... oh yeah, and 3 weeks of rain in January.

I know what you mean about the NYC commute. We had friends that used to do that... they're equally insane. As I said, it's about quality of life and I'd say the NYC slog is a worse quality of life issue than the Bay Area.
Old 09-13-2006, 06:01 PM
Joe2000C4Cab
Pro

My understanding is that this place has changed a lot since you left here... lots of development in the last 10 years. Thankfully you can still get out into farming areas within a 15 minute drive.
Yah, when I left, my family still lived inside the city (near Cottman and the Blvd!) but I had lots of friends who's familys migrated outside the city so it was cruisin' the farmlands on weekends and summers was the default. I didn't drive a 911 then though... My lime-green Pinto (I kid you not) was not the chick mag my memory wishes for!

Now, back to our regularly scheduled program ranting about idiots and how the park.
Old 09-13-2006, 06:02 PM
unklekraker
Racer

it was just a wish list...hehehehehe! no harm intented
i don't know if you guy's notice it, but on my last comment i put "3 car garage first before the actual bedrooms and bath"...it was a lame joke sorry....hehehehe!
Old 09-13-2006, 07:20 PM
porschedog
Rennlist Member

Received 320 Likes on 208 Posts

What's a "season?" In South Florida, we just have hot and humid and hotter and more humid.
Old 09-13-2006, 07:46 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by unklekraker
it was just a wish list...hehehehehe! no harm intented
i don't know if you guy's notice it, but on my last comment i put "3 car garage first before the actual bedrooms and bath"...it was a lame joke sorry....hehehehe!

I caught it and thought it was pretty funny... follows my priorities... lack of the three car garage is the excuse my wife uses for not buying another p-car. <mutters under breath>
Old 09-13-2006, 07:47 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by porschedog
What's a "season?" In South Florida, we just have hot and humid and hotter and more humid.

yeah, but you need the p-car to outrun the hurricanes.

Looks like you guys got off easy this year.
Old 09-13-2006, 08:05 PM
unklekraker
Racer

I caught it and thought it was pretty funny... follows my priorities... lack of the three car garage is the excuse my wife uses for not buying another p-car. <mutters under breath>
off the topic:
Things to do before getting 95' 993 Cab or 88 930 Slant Nose:
1) Get her a 4 bedroom house in Evergreen Valley *done
2) Buy her 1kt Solitaire Princess Cut Belgium diamond on our 15th anniversary *done
3) Go to Vegas and get married again after 17 yrs. of being together *done
4) send daughter to college *done (daughter entering 2nd yr of nursing)
5) Make sure our 2 boys (15 & 7) are not getting in trouble *done but it's a working progress
6) Get promoted @ work *done
7) Stay active @ Church * still active
8) Be a good role model to my kids *done and still in progress
9) Take Wife out for a date once a month *done and still doing it for the past 5 yrs.
10) Buy her a Boxster *done & it's a 99 Boxster

whew....now my turn and thank God, I'm only 37!
Old 09-14-2006, 01:22 AM
RobynC
Pro

Come out to the valley and you'll have your seasons. Of course, I get to wake board into November due to the current and temperature change of the Delta water (waaahoooo!).

And you can buy that three car, four bedroom out here...and still be cold at Christmas!

Did someone mention lime green pintos? ::Shudder::
Old 09-14-2006, 12:42 PM
Joe2000C4Cab
Pro

Originally Posted by RobynC
Come out to the valley and you'll have your seasons. Of course, I get to wake board into November due to the current and temperature change of the Delta water (waaahoooo!).

And you can buy that three car, four bedroom out here...and still be cold at Christmas!

Did someone mention lime green pintos? ::Shudder::
The Valley's nice but if you work in the South Bay, the commute is hell. In the 16 years I've lived here, every job I've ever had was within a 4 mile (southerly) radius of 237 between 101 & 880. If I lived in the Valley, I'd be dead by now - from frustration. But, if you can find work out there, then it'd be all good!

Haha, that was me mentioning the lime green pinto. Yah, as if I wasn't already a dork in HS, my parents thought it was one cooooool ride for me! Cruisin the streets of Philly, I'll tell ya the ladies were impressed (NOT).
This picture is close, but the "green" in this guy is closer ==>
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Why do idiots always have to park so close to my Pcar in a parking lot?