996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

coolant tank leak? and DIY question?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2006, 03:10 PM
bet
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default coolant tank leak? and DIY question?

I think I need to replace my coolant expansion tank. First a couple of question on cracks/leaks in the tank in general. Has anyone had a leak but not seen coolant on the floor? In warm weather I would get an occasional flashing coolant light (which I first contributed to not having the system “burped” correctly after a replacement of the coolant, which I topped off) and then after a good drive I would get the ever-so-slight smell of coolant coming from the drivers side wheel well. Upon inspection of the tank I noticed some “crusty” residue on the far back side of the coolant tank. I replaced my coolant cap with the part number ending in 01 and completely wiped down the tank. The residue has come back, but not has much, and the smell has basically disappeared. Can a cracked tank have a slight “weep” to it?

So assuming I need a new tank….I went to the dealer to get a price. They quoted me a very reasonable price (actually too reasonable). They indicated the list on the coolant tank was about $112 but that did not include the pressure relief cap (the black part on top of the tank with the multitude of screw/nuts holding it on) which was an additional $32 list. For those that have ordered the tank do you order both of these parts or did you reuse the pressure relief cap from the old tank or does the new tank come assembled with this piece on it. I would appreciate any part numbers that people have for parts that are necessary. Thanks for any advice or help you can give.
Old 04-10-2006, 04:11 PM
bnewport
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try this.

http://www.devwebsphere.com/porsche/...lant_leak.html
Old 04-10-2006, 04:26 PM
Eli K
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Brian, I bought a new cap and a new tank, as both tend to leak. Removal is a pain. You can chop off the big plastic tab on the new tank, this will cut down the install to only about 10 minutes.
Good luck
Old 04-10-2006, 04:28 PM
woody-77
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not sure about the pressure relief cap, I'm sure someone here does know the answer.

Here's the link to Loren's DIY coolant tank replacement.

Hope it helps.

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=8024
Old 04-10-2006, 04:43 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Removal is a piece of cake. It's getting it back in that sucks. Done it at least a dozen times and I still cuss and swear each time.
Old 04-10-2006, 05:01 PM
bet
Drifting

Originally Posted by Eli K
Brian, I bought a new cap and a new tank, as both tend to leak. Removal is a pain. You can chop off the big plastic tab on the new tank, this will cut down the install to only about 10 minutes.
Good luck
So did the the new tank come with the black pressure relief cap installed? Do you know the part number of the tank you got?

Quick Reply: coolant tank leak? and DIY question?