996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Who has had engine replaced, and why?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2006, 11:07 PM
JTW
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No worries, Palting. The car was under warranty and Porsche took care of me and the car. Top notch. As for the policy, you are correct. Technically, the intermediate shaft should not warrant a complete engine replacement. However, Porsche AG doesn't want anyone cracking the engine open. It was shipped to Germany that day so that hopefully others in the future won't have the same experience.
Old 04-10-2006, 11:13 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Palting
Now, don't freak out. Catastrophic engine failure is rare in Porsche. Most of the engine replacements are due to a policy by Porsche, that they do not want the engines that are still under warranty to be opened but should be shiiped to Germany and a replacement engine issued. I'm simply trying to get a list of the reasons why.

As for extended warranty, lot's of threads out there. You can do a search. Here's two threads for you: LINK ! and LINK 2

OK. Thanks for the replies so far. Sorry about that GT3, Jim. Now I'm not so sure I should have started this thread, but keep them coming .
Palting - Do you want BOB to reply???
Old 04-11-2006, 12:04 AM
x5rap
Track Day

My US '99 996 tip coupe (a very early Feb-98 build date) had an oil-coolant intermixing occur at 42,100 miles. No catastrophic failure occurred but with the intermixing, Warrantech paid for a brand new engine! I am the third owner of the Arctic Silver beauty. My (independent) mechanic noticed globs of oil in the coolant by a visual inspection prior to a routine oil change. I took the opportunity to put on new Fabspeed mufflers.

The 2nd owner bought the car when it was still then under factory warranty. Because it was under factory warranty, he was then able to put on a Warrantech extended warranty with a one-time transfer. That transfer came to me when I bought the car in Jan-05. I feel like I hit the Porsche lottery! I love the way the car drove before and I love it even more now.

I believe this intermixing problem was solved around 2001. Any thoughts??
Old 04-11-2006, 02:50 AM
Eli K
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by x5rap
My US '99 996 tip coupe (a very early Feb-98 build date) had an oil-coolant intermixing occur at 42,100 miles. No catastrophic failure occurred but with the intermixing, Warrantech paid for a brand new engine!
That's good to hear, I have Warrantech as well, may come in handy one day
Old 04-11-2006, 07:02 AM
fast1
Race Car

Received 222 Likes on 147 Posts

but looking at that emblem on the wheel made me think about how Porsche does not recall these motors or give 100,000 warranty extensions since it is not an **uncommon** problem.

The only info we have on engine replacements is anecdotal, so to be fair to Porsche we don't know if the replacements are rare or common. Moreover, the wild card with Porsches is how the cars were driven by their owners. Maybe some were not abused and the engine still had to be replaced, but my guess is that's not the case for most of the replacements.
Old 04-11-2006, 08:37 PM
vegascomedy
Instructor

Had engine replaced at 45k. Problem with something installed wrong when engine was built. luckily covered under Porsche warranty.
Old 04-11-2006, 09:14 PM
Cydog
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

See my posts regarding my 2002 C2 Cab which had engine failure at 10,000 miles. It had started making "bicycle bell" ringing noises upon startup one day. Turns out that the crankshaft pulley guide pin in the engine had broken off. Got a new engine after some discussion, happy camper in the end...
Old 04-11-2006, 11:24 PM
C4CRNA
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I have trouble sleeping at night after I read these posts!!
Old 04-12-2006, 12:45 AM
pl
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by C4CRNA
I have trouble sleeping at night after I read these posts!!
tell me about it, whenever someone started a "engine replacement" thread.
Old 04-13-2006, 02:43 PM
Mitty
Racer

Originally Posted by pl
which warranty company is that? please let me know.
i own a out-of-warranty p-car, and can't sleep well even since.
Ultimate Warranty

One thing about these warranties, they are very specific. Originally we thought the timing chain was slapping against the block. The timing chain is covered. The shop thought it may have been the timing mechanism, which is NOT covered. My heart sank after he said that. However, upon further investigation, a main bearing had failed, which was explicitly covered. The warranty company sent a guy out to verify this. So in my case, it worked for me.
Old 04-14-2006, 02:25 AM
4sound
Advanced

intermix, intermediate shaft related problems, main bearings, timing chain breaking are most common problems I have seen.
Porsche and most warranty companies know about the possible engine problems that can can up. To repair any one problem could be a waste of their money, so more than likely they will replace an engine if there are any internal failures. Of course any issues that deal with the cam chains can be repaired, as long as the cam chain doesnt break.
Old 04-14-2006, 03:35 AM
kilrgt
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Getting a new one next for for the RMS, It's ok doesn't effect my view of Porsche what so ever, its a car things go wrong, **** breaks, I am over it already, oh yea car has 45 K or 30 M.I remember you asking about the RMS, I thought I had my issues repaired they are not, and yes its the newest seal, OH well life goes on.
Old 04-22-2006, 10:46 AM
Russ Morcom
8th Gear

My MY03 had a main bearing seize during a track day in Dec at 31,000 Km. This snapped the rod and caused secondary damage to the cylinder liner and the #4 piston was shattered, jammed at the top of the cylinder. Engine would still run on 5 cylinders, with large smoke cloud developing. The engine was stripped down to assess the damage, then shipped to Germany. The sump was full of white metal bearing fragments, which had entered the oiling system and scored the other cylinders and pistons.
Engine was replaced under extended warranty. Original engine had also suffered two RMS failures in the first 20,000 Km.
I have since been advised by Porsche Cars Australia that the mention in the owner's manual of possible voiding of the warranty by driving on racing tyres includes R-compound tyres as well as slicks. I just pass this on as a warning to drivers of 996's and Boxsters who track their cars on R-compounds.
Old 04-22-2006, 12:43 PM
JTSPO
Intermediate

2002 c2 6speed, still in the shop getting a replacement, 35k on the dial.

dunno why, the shop just called and replace it under warranty citing "noises"?!
Old 04-22-2006, 07:23 PM
Russ Morcom
8th Gear

Oops! Just reread my earlier post. It was, of course, a big end bearing that seized, not a crankshaft main bearing.

Quick Reply: Who has had engine replaced, and why?