Sponsored by:

GT3 Qs

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2003, 10:04 PM
MetalSolid
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That's consistent with what I've heard from dealers. Most dealers will get 3 GT3s, with the bigger dealerships getting 4 to 5. Funny thing, many people are on several dealer's lists, so if you're #3 you may pleasantly find yourself at #2.

The only "must have" options I can see are Xenons and Thicker Steering Wheel.
Old 04-12-2003, 10:24 PM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

And the ceramic brakes!
Old 04-12-2003, 10:42 PM
MetalSolid
Addict
Rennlist Member

To me they're not worth the price; I've heard too many negatives. Unsprung weight could be saved by switching to floating rotors with aluminum hats, lighter wheels and titanium lug nuts.
Old 04-12-2003, 11:06 PM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

I have ceramic brakes on my GT2, and I love them (street noise and all).

There is so much misinformation and myth about these (and the GT2 in general) it's unreal.
Old 04-12-2003, 11:33 PM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by Colm:
<strong>I have ceramic brakes on my GT2, and I love them (street noise and all). There is so much misinformation and myth about these (and the GT2 in general) it's unreal.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">I agree. They are great no matter what people say. However, that doesn't mean they may or may not be worth the price when the PCCB is an $8150 option on the GT3. That is a hefty price to pay for the benefits they offer.
Old 04-13-2003, 12:44 AM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

The way I look at options is as follows:

If I think I want it, then I consider if it can be added later, for a reasonable cost.

If not available later, then I go back to thinking if I really want it or not. Then if I really, really want it I consider it as part of the price of admission.

Based upon my limited experience (as recently as yesterday at Buttonwillow) I want my GT3 with ceramic brakes. So a GT3 at $99K or $107K is still a value proposition for me.
Old 04-17-2003, 06:59 PM
Sun Ra
Drifting

Received 61 Likes on 23 Posts
My order is in the porsche system for july build at window:
pccb
xenon
yellow belts
mats [$115, the bastards]
ac
base black interior [nat. grey or brown costs 4300!]
$109K window
white

Note: Perkins and Terry Wells have confirmed that lower ratio gear sets will be available so us canyon bombers can set the car for 2,3, 4 gear max. acceleration. i plan a 6th gear redline at 150 mph. this car will be fun

Note on PCCB: i had no problem with them in my GT2 hard street use only. Fixed wing gave me great bed in tips. Thanks again Steven
Old 04-17-2003, 07:18 PM
die Urkraft
AutoX

Ok I have to ask (since I'm considering this option for the GT3) what are the real numbers on the PCCB vs the standard GT3 breaks? I have not seen any 60-0 or 100-0 numbers for either. I'd love to see a real numbers comparison under identical conditions. Can anyone point me to some data? Also can someone fortunate enough to have tried both give me a "seat of the pants" review? I'm not interested in all out track use for this car, it's going to be more of a road car. That means traffic, water and cold breaking. Additionally I've heard that the PCCB rotors are quite fragile so my thinking is to go with standard breaks on a road car, especially if PCCB doesn't offer a very qualifiable gain in stopping power on the street. TIA
Old 04-17-2003, 07:22 PM
die Urkraft
AutoX

Oh and watt, do you happen to know the order codes or ratios for the gears? I've been thinking the exact same thing... 150 is fast enough.
Old 04-17-2003, 10:26 PM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

Watt,

Congrats,

Way to go, my GT2 is white (I love it) and the natural gray leather was around $1400.

Couldn't you talk the dealer in underwriting the leather upgrade?. The cost is ridiculous!
Old 04-18-2003, 12:24 AM
Sun Ra
Drifting

die Urkraft

your ? 1} i had 3 996 TT's and one gt2, so i can compare the brakes qualitatively. turbo steel brake are outstanding. pccb brakes in my gt2 were better in extended repeated heavy mountain downhill braking, but not enough to bother with if you don't highly value the unsprung weight reduction. i did bed them wrong and they felt funny until fixed wing helped me bed them right. But otherwise i loved them...

your ? 2] i was on the phone w/ Porsche Motorsport today per Terry Wells [head of PCNA parts], and they don't know nothing yet, so i left another message for Terry. I'll let you know when i have the ratio choices and part #'s

Colm,

My GT2 was Seal; please let me know when you sell yours, I want it, and please send me [wattwebb@hotmail.com], or post some pix. As one of my most talented porsche buds said once; "white says I just don't give a **** anymore, zeees car eeez for speeed"

The entire GT3 order guide is a laugh, you could spend 50K on weight-bearing cosmetics. but only 9K on function [PCCB, Xenon, Mats}. How about $3100 for the privelege of Zanzibar Red???
Why can't we specify a lower gear set from the factory when the box is being built??? Irritating.
Old 04-18-2003, 12:33 AM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

I'll try and post some pictures this weekend. I can delegate the task to my son since he will visit for Easter.

My other great challenge in life, other than getting around a track faster, is to figure out if I'm technically challenged, or lazy, or both.
Old 04-18-2003, 01:05 AM
Sun Ra
Drifting

"My other great challenge in life, other than getting around a track faster, is to figure out if I'm technically challenged, or lazy, or both."

the beauty of life, Colm, is it doesn't matter. you're rollin' a GT2, and the sky is blue. At the gnarly edge [GT2/GT3] porsche still has it.

i'll look forward to the pix. I deeply respect your colour choice! Thanks
Old 04-18-2003, 04:53 AM
die Urkraft
AutoX

watt, thanks for the information. So if I'm reading what you wrote correctly you would say that the PCCB were better in fade resistance? How about initial bite when they were cold? Was there any noticeable breaking distance reduction?

I read fixed wing's post about using them on the track and he seems to imply they are not quite ready for "prime time". Is there a post where fixed wing describes the bed in procedure? I looked but could not find anything.

I would certainly appreciate any unsprung weight reduction, but I have had track breaks on the street before and had some unpleasant experiences with cold breaking which I would rather avoid. Since I have the chance to spec this car from the start I'd rather not waste money on something that might give me sub optimal performance on the street.

&gt;Why can't we specify a lower gear set from the factory when the box is being built??? Irritating.

100% agreed on this one. I'd rather get it done right from the line. This is very unfortunate but probably required by the Feds to meet emissions and and fuel efficiency standards
or some such rules. Oh and then there are the seats... don't get me started.
Old 04-18-2003, 10:50 AM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by watt:
<strong>Why can't we specify a lower gear set from the factory when the box is being built??? Irritating.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">That's because a given car is Federalized as a whole with a specific engine and transmission. Once you change gears, it would affect emissions. As such, another certification might be required. This is why you don't see cars sold new with *optional* gear ratios.

Quick Reply: GT3 Qs